Mansfield Town v Torquay United - 26/4/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Really enjoyed today, was a right laugh in all honesty and as I had accepted long ago that we were going to be relegated although it felt a bit odd being 3-1 up but it not mattering. It was just too little too late and I'm not going to go into blame for today. We've been down for a while now and today was simply about being proud to represent our club as Torquay United fans and that we did, very well indeed.

The noise was superb and the banter was hilarious, I even laughed at some fans singing that their keeper Lewis Price was a paedophile but only because there was a lad stood behind me who was singing along and he was about 6 years old!! I bet he wouldn't be singing it if he knew what it meant!!

There was a conga which I reluctantly declined to tag on the end of, mainly because I had tonsillitis, bad ankles and had just quaffed a pie which was hotter than the sun. Ok so I couldn't be arsed but the former excuses were still true. Everyone was in great sprits and the afternoon sort of sorted itself out early on when Cobblers raced into a 2 goal lead at Dagenham and although we can slag off Knill and pour scorn on Daggers for essentially giving up the fact is that over the course of the season we have been consistently poor, poorer than every other team in the division overall and so we deserve it.

In many ways we were spared the drama as it panned out and early on the game became meaningless in the grand scheme of things thanks to the game at Dagenham. That said, the lads out on the pitch today were superb and why oh why didn't they get their fingers out of their arses when we DID have a chance?! It was all just so unnecessary.

Like Lucy said on another thread, it was hilarious when we all kept singing ON THE PITCH! ON THE PITCH! ON THE PITCH! even though nobody had any inclination of doing so and the Mansfield stewards sprung into action forming a large cordon of railings and men and trying desperately to get things secure. They were panicking and taking it all deadly serious (which they should - not having a go at them for that). It was cruel really, they are only doing their jobs but it was bloody funny! If anything it was the children from the home ends who needed babysitting when they ran over to us at the final whistle gloating and goading. Once they get a good shoeing from someone then they'll learn, they always do. If not then they go on to become fully fledged football hooligans so have a word eh mums and dads before they get out of hand and come home from somewhere more hostile than Torquay with broken ribs.

It's a shame really because I didn't think they would have that many knobs. Ok so run onto the pitch if you must. They are only young and must want to know what it feels like to run around on the turf of their club, I can appreciate that. But why run straight to us and start taunting us like you're Danny Dyer or summat? He's on Eastenders now so a lesson to you all. Don't copy Danny Dyer or you'll end up in a dead end job.

I was in the bar at the ground and spoke to quite a few stags fans who were really great blokes and they wished us well for next season and likewise me to them so overall I think they are a great club with loyal fans, they just have a problem with kids showing them up which is a shame. I can confidently say that if the boot was on the other foot and it was our last home game of the season then hardly nobody would run onto the pitch and if they did they certainly wouldn't go to the away fans and give them jip. It didn't work anyway because we had been down long before we arrived in Nottinghamshire and so we'd got used to it. The taunts had no credence or no effect.

Anyway, I must congratulate CH and the lads for what they achieved today and a tiny part of me has swung towards getting behind CH for next season. His team selection today was the most preferable I think we could have hoped for barring Tonge but he did ok today and the manner in which they approached the game has given me a slight bit of hope that CH can actually maybe do a job next season. I'm still not convinced but I don't feel as totally despondant as I have done.

Ricey had a few saves to make but none greatly troubling and the defence were reasonably solid. Mansell had a lively game today and should have got us a 4th when 6 yards out with an open goal he chose to try and outwit the keeper by whacking the ball back to his left instead of just leathering it straight into the net as it came to him. The keeper guessed and went to his left and blocked it when it was easier to score. A giant squid camped on the goal line with predator boots on each tentacle would have found it harder to score. Shocking miss and then a chorus of 'that's why we're going down' which I thought was a little unfair because from what I've seen this season, it's not missing chances that has led to us being in the shit but not even creating any chances like that one to score from.

Lathrope was solid.

Shaq showed in one game what Bodin can only DREAM about. Close control, directness, trickery, consistent end product, persistence even when faced with up to 3 men and deservedly got his goal. It was the first time I'd seen him today but I love him.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Great post :scarf:
Lucy
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

You should have said hello today Luce, would have been great to say hi and put a name to a face but not so great for you obviously. =D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

By the way, Mansfield weren't great even before the sending off and they need some decent attackers for next season because they have possibly the worst strikers other than us.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:By the way, Mansfield weren't great even before the sending off and they need some decent attackers for next season because they have possibly the worst strikers other than us.

dont talk wet.

Although Coulthirst and possibly Yeoman excepted..... :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Would there be any chance of getting Shak on another deal next season? Of all the banal attacking loanees masquerading as footballers this season, he is the only one that has left me impressed. McCallum did ok and Marquis not bad but this guy is a sensation. A taste sensation.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Great win this afternoon and worth the six hour round trip. For me after the Exeter victory CH has us on the right road. We'll be back especially if we play like we have done recently.
For me Cargill should be one of the first signings for next season.
Also Cameron is going to be attracking scouts from other teams. His game has really improved under CH.
Shame about some home 'supporters' and their behaviour in the retail park behind the away stand.
Thought the players giving their shirts away was a good gesture plus CH coming to shake hands.
One step back to make two steps forward I reckon. FA Cup underdogs and FA Trophy to look forward to.
We'll be back.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Just remembered. Cheers for the shout at half time Tony! (Donnygull). Good to see you are well and all is ok. :-D
Stagsfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Stagsfan »

Hi everyone just thought I'd come on and say a very well done for yesterday. You could tell how much your players wanted that victory and you thoroughly deserved your 3 points. Granted once again we were abysmal but I'm taking nothing away from the way you guys performed. Gutted for you guys that it still couldn't save you but hopefully you'll come back as soon as possible. With Luton up and potentially Cambridge and Grimsby it will be a very weak conference next year so you'll have a chance. On your fans every single one of you that went were fantastic. Never stopped singing even when relegation was pretty much confirmed. You were a credit to your club and you easily made more noise than the 1500 Chesterfield fans we had a while ago. I hope some of you were aware of the standing ovation our fans gave you and your players after the final whistle it was a nice moment which as your players walked off I think they knew that even though they'd been relegated us Mansfield fans respected their efforts. Quick word on the fans outside. Idiots goading the away support hopefully you don't think we are all like that we just have a few idiots like most clubs do. Quick word on number 27 don't know his name but he's some player best player on the park by a country mile,

All the best guys next season you've all got to stick together now the conference isn't nice but I believe you'll be back soon. I shall look forward to our next meeting.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Thanks Stagsfan and good luck for next season. Hopefully we can meet again very soon in a league game.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

I've got Manse's miss on video and the scramble after .. Shockingly bad
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

It's on my Instagram page, view it via Twitter @GarrybTUFC .. It's my last tweet
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Just remembered. Cheers for the shout at half time Tony! (Donnygull). Good to see you are well and all is ok. :-D
Thanks Andy, had been down to Devon visiting family - so really pleased I made the decision to go to the game, en-route back to Donny. Lad went to Donny v Reading game, so he's even more depressed, as it looks like they are heading downwards too. I'm suffering too at the moment - yet another Chest Infection.
Hopefully catch up next season. Come on You Yellows. :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:-D
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It's funny Yeoman's goals per game would have made him top scorer if he had been playing for us and not out on loan and it's possible that we would not have been relegated. It's sure a funny game. :keepie:

I've got to say to the lad well done and I hope you can continue to do the same next season as I for one never thought you would be in the team. :keepie: