Pro contracts given to ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Pro contracts given to ...

Post by CP Gull »

Mickey Parcell (1 year deal) and Sam Chaney (2 year deal) today from the 2nd year pros. :clap:

Best of luck lads. I haven't had the opportunity to watch the youth team at all this season but glad to hear that we have at least been able to offer a couple of them a shot at the pro game.

I would imagine they may well be rewarded with a place on our subs bench tomorrow and perhaps might even get some game time at some stage ... as Greavsie has hinted at in his pre match interview.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Someone who knows better than me (won't be hard to find, yeah yeah) perhaps SuperGulls, if he's still about. Does this mean O'Neill Odofin is out the door?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

The best of a poor bunch. To be honest
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

ferrarilover wrote:Someone who knows better than me (won't be hard to find, yeah yeah) perhaps SuperGulls, if he's still about. Does this mean O'Neill Odofin is out the door?

Matt.
Odofin is a first year scholar so he doesnt get a decision until next year matt
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

I've seen Parcell 3 or 4 times this season and he's been quite impressive. Can or did play centre midfield or right back.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Yellow4life wrote:The best of a poor bunch. To be honest
Interesting point of view. Like I say, I haven't seen anything of them this season, whereas I guess you have seen quite a bit. I live in hope that some of the 1st year scholars have some potential as certainly one or two of the Northern Ireland contingent seem to be highly regarded in some quarters.

Having said that, I believe both of these lads (Parcell and Chaney) hail from the South East and apart from the odd 2 or 3 (Lavercombe? Prynn? McCallion?) there really aren't many "local" lads who seem to be coming through which is disappointing given that the Academy has been running for 7 years now and Geoff Harrop has been in charge for 4 of them I believe. You would have hoped that the system might have started to produce more local talent by now and it makes you wonder whether Exeter and Plymouth are still managing to pick up the "cream" of the local talent still. Of course, the fact that we are now Non League and in danger of losing all of our central youth funding in two years time if we are still outside of the Football League then, is hardly going to help matters going forward either!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Pretty sure Chaney was an unused sub during a league game at Plainmoor earlier this season under Knill. Must have potential if he's been given a two-year deal. With Sullivan and Hutchings under contract, Yeoman nailed on to get a new deal and possibly Thompson too, that could mean six first-team players from the academy next season.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

tommyg wrote:Pretty sure Chaney was an unused sub during a league game at Plainmoor earlier this season under Knill. Must have potential if he's been given a two-year deal. With Sullivan and Hutchings under contract, Yeoman nailed on to get a new deal and possibly Thompson too, that could mean six first-team players from the academy next season.
It was for the 3-1 home defeat by Exeter tommy so you're spot on.

I've got no idea who these lads are but it is good to see youth get opportunities and I wish them the best of luck and hope they will make the grade with us.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

supergulls wrote: Odofin is a first year scholar so he doesnt get a decision until next year matt

:-D
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

Odofin is a real prospect and likely to get a pro contract at the end of the season, if not before.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

NA Gull wrote:Odofin is a real prospect and likely to get a pro contract at the end of the season, if not before.
really ????? all the times I have watched him for the youth team and seen him make mistake after mistake resulting in the opposition scoring must be just what we are looking for. I agree he has all the physical attributes in his size etc but he is clumsy and gives away pens and he is not the quickest either.
He was released from Dagenham so I don't see him getting any International call ups soon but I suppose its all about opinions and on this one we beg to differ.
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

I haven't seen him either, but have been speaking to a youth coach at the club and a scout at another club.
The things you mention can be coached out of him, but he has the raw attributes which will make a club invest in him.
Motorman
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Chaney

Post by Motorman »

Well Done to Chaney, Parcell and the Youth Team Management at TUFC on producing two lads worthy of a pro this year

I notice that some one is expecting Harrop and his Team to produce players overnight, if the boys locally are not good enough, the management team must look at players out of the area and believe me it's hard to attract young players away from the family home to travel for the dream of becoming a professional footballer

Home grown talent will develop but not overnight, I believe that Torquay start at under 10, Harrop and co therefore could have hand picked next years under 15 squad at the age of 10 ,they will also have picked up raw talent at various age groups throughout the years.

This seasons Boys awarded with Pro Contracts were young school boys when they arrived in Torquay, they have been developed as footballers and men under the supervision of the TUFC YOUTH set up at GULLS LODGE. The boys that have been released have also had an opportunity to develop as footballers and learned some important Life skills arriving as boys and leaving as men whilst also being educated to A level standard and achieving a level 2 Coaching badge

I think Chaney and Parcell are from London , so not only did Harrop and the team spot some raw talent they developed it and worked hard to encourage parents to let these schoolboys move away from the family home at the age of 16

Your Big Premier League Teams don't sign many local boys they also get the best talent they can attract with the pulling power and money they have

I speak from experience that the Youth Team Management and set up you have at your club is one to be proud of, the work ethic and enthusiasm behind the scenes is unbelievable

Harrop and Co are sewing the seeds for a bright future and they are attracting players from all over England , Wales ,Ireland and Europe due to contacts they have and constantly watching games at all levels looking for the raw talent that they can develop over a two year apprenticeship or in the Academy set up so they can develop a local boy into an apprentice

Thea and the TUFC Board and Supporters should be proud of the way these two boys have matured and I am sure that Hargreaves and his management team will give them opportunity to kick on again next season as they continue with the development from schoolboy to pro

Let's Hope that the Gulls can bounce straight back up , but it won't all be about budget available as you can't buy success

Hard work, belief, teamwork, youth, experience all need to blend along with Trust in the Board Management and each other

Motorman
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

cheers Geoff!
The gulls are going up
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think that is a great first post by Motorman and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will stick around and add value such as given above to the site.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/