Boardroom, Who does what?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

ferrarilover wrote:I feel like I want to stand up for Harding on two grounds (he barely played and he was pretty good just before his injury), but I'm a bit busy at the minute and don't think I'd do it justice.

Matt.
Fair point Matt, but the fact that he barely played even when he was fit is important. The problem with a striker who can't score and a full back who has made countless critical mistakes has been more serious.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

The only thing that really matters at the end of a season is the league table. Our team was relegated to the Conference. Mr Knill's team wasn't. Nothing more to discuss really ;-)
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Fair point Stefano, time to move on now. Suffice to say that Mr Knill will not go down in the history of TUFC as a well liked or respected manager, whereas Martin Ling will be remembered positively. As for CH, I think that the forthcoming season is the one to judge him on.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

ferrarilover wrote: Should also have pointed out that the highlighted bit here, despite your attempts to convince us otherwise, isn't anything like a fact. Maybe ask for a dictionary for your next birthday.

Matt.
Matt lad (I'll stop calling you **** as that doesn't really help). Ok, you know some of the Board members and get some inside knowledge as to how they're running the club. Newsflash Matt, they're doing it **** wrong! No amount of your defensive bristling and chest puffing makes a blind bit of difference, THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!

Matt, I know a chef, I make a quite decent beans on toast and at a push can feed half a dozen a passable roast dinner. It doesn't qualify me to run a commercial kitchen! You along with a couple of other mates of the Board are just not getting it. THEY HAVE, ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO DO IT WRONG until they get professional advice from PROFESSIONALS. You and your bean counting chums will say "we can't afford to". Well as has been shown by our abortion of a season "we couldn't afford not to", but the idiots in charge knew better and here we are.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote:The only thing that really matters at the end of a season is the league table. Our team was relegated to the Conference. Mr Knill's team wasn't. Nothing more to discuss really ;-)
..oh, but Mr Knill's team were relegated...a week before the season's end...
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: ..oh, but Mr Knill's team were relegated...a week before the season's end...
:zzz: Utterly predictable nonsense :zzz: ;-)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

DTG wrote: Matt lad (I'll stop calling you **** as that doesn't really help). Ok, you know some of the Board members and get some inside knowledge as to how they're running the club. Newsflash Matt, they're doing it **** wrong! No amount of your defensive bristling and chest puffing makes a blind bit of difference, THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!

Matt, I know a chef, I make a quite decent beans on toast and at a push can feed half a dozen a passable roast dinner. It doesn't qualify me to run a commercial kitchen! You along with a couple of other mates of the Board are just not getting it. THEY HAVE, ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO DO IT WRONG until they get professional advice from PROFESSIONALS. You and your bean counting chums will say "we can't afford to". Well as has been shown by our abortion of a season "we couldn't afford not to", but the idiots in charge knew better and here we are.
What you call me isn't the problem here, it's your gross lack of any knowledge or understanding of the situation about which you're complaining.

I can't wait until the day, maybe 10 years from now, when you're on the AFC Torquay forum, whinging about "those stupid **** who came in after Thea Bristow and spent all that money and sent us into administration, liquidation and death".

That'll be a great day.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It seems that all of you are on about Knill and his signings but Knills problem was not always his signings it was his tactics how he set his team up. Jeff Harrop set his team up in his one and only game and we looked a different team.
Knill made a lot of mistakes this was because he was a bad judge of a player, yes he signed a couple of good ones, I'd say he got lucky. The board should have seen this in October when the warning signs showed, if supporters can see it before the board then perhaps we should change places.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes Wilder (and Knill) did save Northampton so job done really. Yes maybe he had more money to spend but basically he is now lumbered with some seriously crap players on big money ie Connell and the other bloke whose name escapes me (who scored two against us).
Both are complete garbage and havn't been in the team. Probably the signing that saved them was Marquis - not the aforementioned pair of gerbils.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by DTG »

ferrarilover wrote: What you call me isn't the problem here, it's your gross lack of any knowledge or understanding of the situation about which you're complaining.

I can't wait until the day, maybe 10 years from now, when you're on the AFC Torquay forum, whinging about "those stupid **** who came in after Thea Bristow and spent all that money and sent us into administration, liquidation and death".

That'll be a great day.

Matt.
Why don't you enlighten us Matt? What is this mythical "gross lack of any knowledge or understanding of the situation" that is unique to TUFC that our Board just can't get around? presumably it must be the same difficulties that hold back....... hmmmm let me think..... Accrington, D&R, Morecombe, Bury, Rochdale, Stevenage, Walsall, Shrewsbury et al. You are making excuses for failure and justifying it by wailing that the rest of can't understand.......so tell us, what is it? Will you hide behind the "can't tell, won't tell"? Or chuck more blame at the fans for not buying an inferior product and falling out of love with the Brand? Your patronising attitude masks your lack of business experience. But please do spell it out in words us thickos can understand.

ADMIN EDIT: Quotes fixed
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

If you're patronised by me, that's your fault, not mine.

I don't need to enlighten you, any more so than to say that what you think you know is mostly wrong and amounts to about 2% of the total knowledge required.

You think yourself some sort of business guru, so you tell me, why don't Saintsbury's just make everything cheaper and sell more stuff than Tesco, surely it's that easy?

Matt.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by DTG »

ferrarilover wrote:If you're patronised by me, that's your fault, not mine.

I don't need to enlighten you, any more so than to say that what you think you know is mostly wrong and amounts to about 2% of the total knowledge required.

You think yourself some sort of business guru, so you tell me, why don't Saintsbury's just make everything cheaper and sell more stuff than Tesco, surely it's that easy?

Matt.
So that's a won't tell then. As I've said a million times this is not in any way advanced business skills. You don't have to be a "guru" (but thanks anyway, I'll mention it to the boss and see if he finds my new status bonus worthy!). This is basic stuff, it could only be considered 'guru" by people who arn't aware of the basics. So what's the other 98% then Matt? It must be pretty darn explosive stuff to be so secret that Accrington and Morecombe have survived it let alone D&R and even Exeter who have less than us. What is it that we're not allowed to know Matt?
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

You know all that knowledge of how business really works, in practice rather than on paper, and how it's different from the public perception of the business world? Yeah, well it's all of that, but in a football context.

Things like, well why don't we just sign Marquis back on loan? Why don't we just spend twenty grand on some pitch covers? Why don't we just sack Knill and appoint someone else? Why don't we just...

I ask again, why don't Sainsbury's just halve the prices and sell more shit?

You're sat here telling us how it's all GCE level business concepts and that any old moron with a double digit IQ and a textbook could do it, yet you don't seem to be able to advance any of those simple theories into your thinking about what I might be on about.

Matt.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by DTG »

ferrarilover wrote:You know all that knowledge of how business really works, in practice rather than on paper, and how it's different from the public perception of the business world? Yeah, well it's all of that, but in a football context.

Things like, well why don't we just sign Marquis back on loan? Why don't we just spend twenty grand on some pitch covers? Why don't we just sack Knill and appoint someone else? Why don't we just...

I ask again, why don't Sainsbury's just halve the prices and sell more sh*t?

You're sat here telling us how it's all GCE level business concepts and that any old moron with a double digit IQ and a textbook could do it, yet you don't seem to be able to advance any of those simple theories into your thinking about what I might be on about.

Matt.

Matt, this will be my last post on the matter as it's getting boring now. The tesco's thing :} The Board were being told 6 years ago what they needed to do. The opportunity was ripe then. They blew it from the start. They have been penny wise pound foolish all the way through. It's too late to put right their mistakes. And yes I have a fair idea of what you're on about, I'm just asking if you do? If the club continue down this path I fear it will only lead further down hill. I really hope and pray that CH manages somehow to put together a team of winners from the buttons he's given to put a sticking plaster over the Boardroom mess. I've seen it many times where Businesses take on a culture where they do the wrong things for so long they actually think they're doing it right, until the SHTF and they all scratch their heads wondering how it happened. It takes someone to stand up and point it out, but that rarely happens because they're so busy doing the wrong things they just can't see it or even want to hear it. TUFC are done and dusted while SOME of the Board members are given any influence. The others need to stand up. Problem is they haven't up to now or we wouldn't be in this mess.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've been enjoying the debate, Matt puts up a fairly decent argument for someone typing words best suited to their rectum ;-)

Dave, you are of course correct and this has been my main gripe about the reign of Baker. Too often he's stifled forward thinking ideas rather than risk upsetting the "commercial department". If those in that particular area of the Club had done their job correctly we'd almost certainly be in a far better financial state than we are currently.

I've been banging on about this for years and nothing has changed except for one thing, we've lost our League status and the funding that goes hand in hand with it. With Phillips running around like a headless chicken it's no wonder people have been put off investing, I know I have.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com