Rice - Staying

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

sam_ wrote: I think Poke' new contract offer is a big wage cut, so I do imagine we've seen his last appearance at the club. Over the moon with Ricey signing, one of a very few bright sparks this season.
Poke is like the terminator. 'I'll be back' :lol:
Lucy
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Pleased with Rice staying on. He was one of our best players last season so deserves a new contract and to start the season as our number one.

I think Rice as first choice with Lavercombe as back up would be perfectly acceptable. A club like Torquay do not need two players capable of being number one, it ties up wages that can used in other areas. If anything happens to Rice, i.e. injury, suspension or drop in form, that is when the loan market should be used if Lavercombe isn't ready to step up.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Pokey's deal will involve an enormous drop in salary, as they all do. This is why the players are taking so long to give answers. It's not a few quid a month either, some are looking at a 60% reduction in their basic income, which is an amount that almost no employee could stomach in any industry.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Pokey's deal will involve an enormous drop in salary, as they all do. This is why the players are taking so long to give answers. It's not a few quid a month either, some are looking at a 60% reduction in their basic income, which is an amount that almost no employee could stomach in any industry.

Matt.
Exactly. I think people are letting their emotive feelings about certain players, over-shadow the human aspect that some players have mortgages and families to consider and questions like, 'can we survive on such reduced incomes or do we rip up our family life and move elsewhere?' are not decisions you can reach in a couple of days just to satisfy some impatient football fans who will, no doubt, react in a way that makes you think 'was it worthwhile anyway?'.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Pokey's deal will involve an enormous drop in salary, as they all do. This is why the players are taking so long to give answers. It's not a few quid a month either, some are looking at a 60% reduction in their basic income, which is an amount that almost no employee could stomach in any industry.

Matt.
Exactly. I think people are letting their emotive feelings about certain players, over-shadow the human aspect that some players have mortgages and families to consider and questions like, 'can we survive on such reduced incomes or do we rip up our family life and move elsewhere?' are not decisions you can reach in a couple of days just to satisfy some impatient football fans who will, no doubt, react in a way that makes you think 'was it worthwhile anyway?'.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I can't believe some of these posts. So we now pick a team based on players families, how many kids they've got, how much there mortgage is. no no no that is a recipe for disaster. Torquay fans and management are now a social service. In sport and particular professional sport its ruthless, and I'm afraid these guys chose this as a profession. Go and sell herbs if you don't like it. We as a club need a squad next year who are all pulling in the same and right direction, AND.... are on money they deserve NOT need. Plus.... I don't want players here who have chosen Torquay as a last resort, oh their gonna be well up for a tough season where there will be many tough away days..... NOT. I would rather have a young energetic, motivated and keen player on average conference wages.

This is sport, competition and its a tough business. We need to have sorted these contracts out now, no extensions, unbelievable, what does that say to the players NOT offered extensions, it tell them we don't want you as much.

Its been stated on here, and I don't know if its true but after relegation the players in question have a 20% reduction. Mmmmmm....... That I would guess means that the out of contract players would have at least been reduced by that amount, I would hope much much more.
TUST MEMBER
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Neal wrote:I can't believe some of these posts. So we now pick a team based on players families, how many kids they've got, how much there mortgage is. no no no that is a recipe for disaster. Torquay fans and management are now a social service. In sport and particular professional sport its ruthless, and I'm afraid these guys chose this as a profession. Go and sell herbs if you don't like it. We as a club need a squad next year who are all pulling in the same and right direction, AND.... are on money they deserve NOT need. Plus.... I don't want players here who have chosen Torquay as a last resort, oh their gonna be well up for a tough season where there will be many tough away days..... NOT. I would rather have a young energetic, motivated and keen player on average conference wages.

This is sport, competition and its a tough business. We need to have sorted these contracts out now, no extensions, unbelievable, what does that say to the players NOT offered extensions, it tell them we don't want you as much.

Its been stated on here, and I don't know if its true but after relegation the players in question have a 20% reduction. Mmmmmm....... That I would guess means that the out of contract players would have at least been reduced by that amount, I would hope much much more.
I think you have missed the point of the posts above. Nobody has said we should be offering Poke X amount per week because he has a family and mortgage, rather that he should be allowed a couple of weeks to choose whether to accept a drop in wages, or seek employment elsewhere.

These guys aren't Premiership footballers having to make the decision between 50k and 60k per week, most of these guys are likely on between 20k - 50k per year. And given the career span, you would expect they would want to earn as much they can before they retire.

They still have to think about themselves, however much they love the club. They are very fortunate to be able to play football as a career, but at this level it's not just about the love of the game, they still have to earn enough money to support themselves. I have made a similar point regarding Lee Mansell on another thread.

If most people were faced with a 40% reduction or more in their wages, they wouldn't make the decision in a couple of days. If it were me I would be looking at others jobs that I could earn what I felt I deserved and was worth, which is no doubt what Poke, Lathrope and Mansell are doing.

As much as I love the club and want the players to feel that same emotion for it to, I am pragmatic and realise that to most of these guys it's a career paying the bills. I am sure that some players will get emotionally connected to clubs they play for, but I don't expect any player at this level to forego a living wage or the chance of much better wages elsewhere just because he has an affinity to Torquay.

Unfortunately that's the situation with football in the modern world.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Neal wrote:I can't believe some of these posts. So we now pick a team based on players families, how many kids they've got, how much there mortgage is. no no no that is a recipe for disaster. Torquay fans and management are now a social service. In sport and particular professional sport its ruthless, and I'm afraid these guys chose this as a profession. Go and sell herbs if you don't like it. We as a club need a squad next year who are all pulling in the same and right direction, AND.... are on money they deserve NOT need. Plus.... I don't want players here who have chosen Torquay as a last resort, oh their gonna be well up for a tough season where there will be many tough away days..... NOT. I would rather have a young energetic, motivated and keen player on average conference wages.

I cannot believe how blinkered and ignorant you are. They have been offered a contract on half the money they were previously on. IF they sign then this is good news for the club as they are getting a player CH believes can do a decent job in the conference whilst allowing further budget to bring the rest of the squad up to the level needed to try to get our football league status back.

I have no problem with the fact they are looking at other options as if I was offered new terms at work on 40% of what I was earning I would lose my house and car if I accepted them.

Make no mistake - Torquay are playing hard ball with these guys and they have families and mortgages to put first.

Manse has had 1 bad season in 8 and you are telling him to go off and sell herbs without a care in the world for what he has done for this club? - pathetic trolling if you ask me.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

BBC article from today looks like Poke is going to be off and Mansell is 50/50, no mention of DL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27903447

Be interesting to see if rice is no.1 then!
Last edited by PlainmoorRoar on 18 Jun 2014, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Personally - I think we will bring another keeper in if Poke moves on.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Richinns wrote:I cannot believe how blinkered and ignorant you are. They have been offered a contract on half the money they were previously on. IF they sign then this is good news for the club as they are getting a player CH believes can do a decent job in the conference whilst allowing further budget to bring the rest of the squad up to the level needed to try to get our football league status back.

I have no problem with the fact they are looking at other options as if I was offered new terms at work on 40% of what I was earning I would lose my house and car if I accepted them.

Make no mistake - Torquay are playing hard ball with these guys and they have families and mortgages to put first.

Manse has had 1 bad season in 8 and you are telling him to go off and sell herbs without a care in the world for what he has done for this club? - pathetic trolling if you ask me.

Surely you mean 1 good season in 8 ? What is it exactly that he has done for the club, apart from trying and not always succeeding to do what is expected of him in the the job he is paid very well for.,
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

leetufc wrote: I think you have missed the point of the posts above. Nobody has said we should be offering Poke X amount per week because he has a family and mortgage, rather that he should be allowed a couple of weeks to choose whether to accept a drop in wages, or seek employment elsewhere.

These guys aren't Premiership footballers having to make the decision between 50k and 60k per week, most of these guys are likely on between 20k - 50k per year. And given the career span, you would expect they would want to earn as much they can before they retire.

They still have to think about themselves, however much they love the club. They are very fortunate to be able to play football as a career, but at this level it's not just about the love of the game, they still have to earn enough money to support themselves. I have made a similar point regarding Lee Mansell on another thread.

If most people were faced with a 40% reduction or more in their wages, they wouldn't make the decision in a couple of days. If it were me I would be looking at others jobs that I could earn what I felt I deserved and was worth, which is no doubt what Poke, Lathrope and Mansell are doing.

As much as I love the club and want the players to feel that same emotion for it to, I am pragmatic and realise that to most of these guys it's a career paying the bills. I am sure that some players will get emotionally connected to clubs they play for, but I don't expect any player at this level to forego a living wage or the chance of much better wages elsewhere just because he has an affinity to Torquay.

Unfortunately that's the situation with football in the modern world.
And the rest...

Matt.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote:
Surely you mean 1 good season in 8 ? What is it exactly that he has done for the club, apart from trying and not always succeeding to do what is expected of him in the the job he is paid very well for.,

bit harsh that chunk.

i wouldnt say that he had 1 bad season in 8 either though............ more like 4 each!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

I see Alan Marriott has left Mansfield. Could be good for a year!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I saw this also. Mansfield are garbage, but Marriott has always been a name on my radar. Worth asking the question, he can only laugh and go his own way.

Matt.