Stewards

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was on the popside yesterday, to be honest didn't really notice anything going on up on the bench. To me Brucie has raised a genuine concern here, but in the main I'd like to thank Andy Candy, he said he will investigate, we know he will, no reason to dis-believe Brucie when he says there were staff members present, so I'm sure AC will speak to them. If there's wrong doing on the part of the steward the truth will out, and he should be removed.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

forevertufc wrote:Was on the popside yesterday, to be honest didn't really notice anything going on up on the bench. To me Brucie has raised a genuine concern here, but in the main I'd like to thank Andy Candy, he said he will investigate, we know he will, no reason to dis-believe Brucie when he says there were staff members present, so I'm sure AC will speak to them. If there's wrong doing on the part of the steward the truth will out, and he should be removed.
:goodpost:
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

hector wrote:Why on earth are people not allowed to take photographs at the game? I do so all the time. I don't get the issue.
Technically, I think it's correct that you're not supposed to take photographs, but clubs rarely bother with it unless someone appears to be a professional photographer looking to make commercial use of the photos. Clubs generally turn a blind eye. Seems rather overzealous, really.
TUST member 203
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Stewarding at Torquay has always been poor. Other grounds I have been too have been very good in my experience.
TUST MEMBER
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Do we still use stewards from Plymouth? Or am I going back in time? I do that.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Re Stefano's posting about being frisked, I fully agree. My grandson was frisked by a rather attractive female steward on the Pop Side turnstiles last season. I complained because I wasn't. At my age, it would have given me a bit of excitement which we certainly didn't get from the football served up.

Re Bobby's post about a blond steward speaking to a lad about taking photos, to be fair to the steward she didn't have a go at him, but simply explained that he shouldn't be taking photos. This 'no photos' thing is a total nonsense and unenforceable. Most people have photophones nowadays so how are you going to stop them being used? A complete nonsense. AS for Steward 007, whether it's photos or feet on the back of the seats, transfer him across to the Pop Side where there are no seats.

Most of the stewards at Plainmoor are reasonable. But there are a few who like to throw their weight around and pretend they are important which gives the rest of the stewards a bad name. Presumably, we are still using an outside company. The club must insist on more even handed stewarding because as already been posted, fans will stay away.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Misses just raised a good point whilst I mentioned the goings on over this. She said the signs actually say "No Flash Photography Allowed." Is that correct? Not that I would (dare) doubt her, just don't know.

If this is correct I put to you my learned friend that an official sign indicating "No Flash Photography" would imply that photography without a flash might be allowed, would it not? If the opposite were to be the case then indeed the governing sign should say "No photography WHATSOEVER!" Should it not? I rest my case M'lurd.

Wild applause from the public gallery as the wrongly accused men are acquitted and set free!

QC Pougher defender of the faith and protector of the innocent.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Misses just raised a good point whilst I mentioned the goings on over this. She said the signs actually say "No Flash Photography Allowed." Is that correct? Not that I would (dare) doubt her, just don't know.

If this is correct I put to you my learned friend that an official sign indicating "No Flash Photography" would imply that photography without a flash might be allowed, would it not? If the opposite were to be the case then indeed the governing sign should say "No photography WHATSOEVER!" Should it not? I rest my case M'lurd.

Wild applause from the public gallery as the wrongly accused men are acquitted and set free!

QC Pougher defender of the faith and protector of the innocent.
Your missus is right, Dave. Although I haven't noticed any signs, I'm sure there was an announcement at half time to 'remind fans that no FLASH photography is permitted during the match".
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Here is an excerpt from the FA regulations about photography/filming in grounds.
No person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into (or use within) the Ground any equipment which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any data or information in relation to the Match or any aspect of it.

However, Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio-visual mateiral captured by a mobile telephone may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm 100 % sure it does say in the ground regulations no photography is not allowed, as you enter the popside turnstiles the ground regulations are up on the wall to right as you go in, hands up, who actually goes into the ground stops and reads them, I don't, and I only know there's no photography allowed because this issue has been raised on this forum many a time.

But that's not the issue here, is issue here is about customer service, it's about the public face of TUFC as well and that involves all who represent the club, haven't got a clue who these lads were, whether they are long standing fans, or just attending the match for something to do, however bet they aren't coming back in a hurry, after it would appear they were ejected for making a mistake in taking some photos and resting their feet on the back of the seats in front. Jeez we don't want hooligans like that at Plainmoor do we, heck we'll have a reputation like Millwall soon if this carries on, I mean taking a photo and resting your feet on a seat, whatever next, a 1 year banning order would be far to lenient.

Remember when we got the play-off at Old Trafford, booked a car parking space their, couldn't the car park after driving for god knows how long, pulled in ask a steward was greeted with "how can I help you sir" and given simple directions, then stopped and asked another group stewards walking towards the ground where the pub was, one of them even crossed the road with me, and pointed out where to go, and that's what I'm talking about here, suppose that's the difference between stewards used to dealing with crowds of 75,000 that can lead to volatile situations, and stewards used to crowds of 2,000 a few with one foot in the grave.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

A Realist wrote:Here is an excerpt from the FA regulations about photography/filming in grounds.
And yet the club has been in the habit of retweeting photos fans take inside Plainmoor. Hmmmmmm. That dastardly social networking...

http://x.com/trbarmy/status/499301985901084673/photo/1
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

Sorry posted my draft. Please could Admin remove my first posting. Thank you.

Following a number of concerns raised over the weekend about the stewarding at the Southport game, I have spoken to the Safety Officer, staff who were in the vicinity of the incidents and several fans. As a result, I have reminded the company that provides the stewarding of the standards of behaviour that I expect and the manner in which fans should be treated. Whilst I have been told that on this occasion the steward in Bristow’s Bench was not rude or unprofessional, I have agreed changes in the way that stewards approach and deal with issues on match days in order to avoid unnecessary confrontation on what I regard as fairly minor issues. I accept that there will be occasions when stewards need to enforce the Ground Safety Regulations. However, I expect that to be done in a non-confrontational manner. I also accept that the job of being a steward can be difficult on occasions especially if there is genuine trouble in the crowd, but again I have emphasised the need for the intervention and outcome to be proportionate to the incident.
I have also spoken specifically about fans taking photographs. Whilst we have to comply with the FA Regulations, I have asked the Safety Officer to adopt a more lenient approach in the manner in which this is “policed”. The Club and the fans must still abide by the rules, but I expect the manner in which any “violations” are dealt with to be carried out in a more educational and advisory fashion before warnings of eviction is issued or acted upon. We will also issue a general reminder on the website as to the FA rules on this topic but in summary cameras are not allowed, mobile phones can be used for photographs but not for videoing the game.
I have also spoken about the opening of the gate between the Popside and the Family Stand at the end of matches. I have asked that the gate is opened at the earliest opportunity which I accept will vary according to the number of people exiting the Family Stand. Given the lower attendances at the moment there should not be a wait greater than a few minutes.
I hope that my intervention will see an improvement in the relationship that has deteriorated between a minority of both stewards and fans. I shall of course continue to monitor the situation.
Best regards,
Andrew
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

gullintwoplaces wrote: So are you saying that the steward behaved professionally throughout and that these two fans deserved what happened to them? Are you saying that the stewards at Plainmoor treat the fans well?
GITP, what I said was
At no time did the steward (or the response team) act aggressively that I saw. As already pointed out, both spectators and a member of the club spoke to the female steward in the response team, suggesting that this was perhaps a bit of an overreaction. I certainly didnt get told to bugger off, or shut up and sit down, or anything impolite by the stewards.
I spoke to one of the stewards. As I have already said, they spoke politely to me. They may well have thought to themselves "I wish he'd **** off" but didnt show it.

As for the fans? Personally speaking, I dont see a problem with taking photos. Thats my opinion though. Its appears that this season there will be a more proactive approach to rights protection over all the leagues. I assume all clubs have been informed of this and told to crack on?

As for
Are you saying that the stewards at Plainmoor treat the fans well?
Personally speaking, I've never witnessed anything untoward, nor had any of them treat me other than professionally. Trust me, I would soon soon be slagging them off if I had.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Instead of continually trying to point score over this issue, surely we would be better of thanking AC for his prompt investigation and actions over this. None of us should be happy hearing stories of fans being ejected from the ground for doing the some total of sod all wrong effectively. Two fans that may have been lost for good, also reading the other forums what happened in the bench wasn't the only incident involving a steward and fan.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

A Candy wrote:Sorry posted my draft. Please could Admin remove my first posting. Thank you.

Following a number of concerns raised over the weekend about the stewarding at the Southport game, I have spoken to the Safety Officer, staff who were in the vicinity of the incidents and several fans. As a result, I have reminded the company that provides the stewarding of the standards of behaviour that I expect and the manner in which fans should be treated. Whilst I have been told that on this occasion the steward in Bristow’s Bench was not rude or unprofessional, I have agreed changes in the way that stewards approach and deal with issues on match days in order to avoid unnecessary confrontation on what I regard as fairly minor issues. I accept that there will be occasions when stewards need to enforce the Ground Safety Regulations. However, I expect that to be done in a non-confrontational manner. I also accept that the job of being a steward can be difficult on occasions especially if there is genuine trouble in the crowd, but again I have emphasised the need for the intervention and outcome to be proportionate to the incident.
I have also spoken specifically about fans taking photographs. Whilst we have to comply with the FA Regulations, I have asked the Safety Officer to adopt a more lenient approach in the manner in which this is “policed”. The Club and the fans must still abide by the rules, but I expect the manner in which any “violations” are dealt with to be carried out in a more educational and advisory fashion before warnings of eviction is issued or acted upon. We will also issue a general reminder on the website as to the FA rules on this topic but in summary cameras are not allowed, mobile phones can be used for photographs but not for videoing the game.
I have also spoken about the opening of the gate between the Popside and the Family Stand at the end of matches. I have asked that the gate is opened at the earliest opportunity which I accept will vary according to the number of people exiting the Family Stand. Given the lower attendances at the moment there should not be a wait greater than a few minutes.
I hope that my intervention will see an improvement in the relationship that has deteriorated between a minority of both stewards and fans. I shall of course continue to monitor the situation.
Best regards,
Andrew
Thanks for the investigation, so what if the stewards try to stop me taking a photo? As it was said at half time.