TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

We didnt deserve to draw!

But would be interested from anyone down that end of the popside as to whether it was offside?

Lino put his flag up very late
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

What a miserable afternoon. Thought we snatched a point at the end but Benyon's effort was ruled out - either for offside or handball after he bundled in a free-kick from close range. It was the linesman's decision and seemed a late call because the ref took a few seconds to signal the disallowed goal!

The first half was quite exciting. We looked dangerous down our left with Ives and Cameron linking well and Young was popping the ball about, but we were vulnerable in defence and always looked like conceding. The first goal was against the run of play. Pearce missed the ball midway in his own half and Taylor, who was the best player on the pitch, waltzed through and scored. He still had a lot to do but it stemmed from a mistake by Pearce, who was otherwise excellent. The second was a Trotman header from a corner. We just can't defend set-pieces. The ball ended up in the bottom corner after squirming past Seabright. Will have to watch he highlights to see if he was at fault but if we had a man on the line he would have cleared it. Moments later it should have been three but Berry or Pearce made a superb goal-line clearance after Seabright was again beaten. Then out of nothing, we pulled one back! There was a big slice of luck as Cameron's deflected cross looped into the air and was punched into his own net by Speiss, who was under pressure from O'Achie. Rovers then missed a half-open goal from four yards out so we were lucky to go into the break only a goal down.

Unfortunately, the second half was ruined by atrocious weather conditions. We were playing with the wind in the first half and it got a lot stronger by the time we switched ends. Seabright's kicks weren't reaching the halfway line and we were under constant pressure. They should have finished us off but wasted a hatful of chances and hit the woodwork. We couldn't get going and didn't offer anything going forward until the late double change. Can't argue with the result. We were beaten by the better side but they did have the advantage with a much stronger wind in the second half.

Hard to pick a MOTM. Young was superb in the first half but faded badly. Pearce played well but was at fault for the first goal. Ives looks a gem but struggled in the second half like most of the team. Berry and MacDonald were ok. Richards and Ajala were terrible. Ajala should have gone off much sooner and Yeoman ended up in centre mid - that's how bad Richards was. He started the season so well but has struggled since he was humiliated in front of the BT Sport cameras at Alfreton. Cameron is still lacking confidence but the conditions were especially tricky for wingers. Bowman and O''Achie started ok but barely touched the ball after the break and were very isolated. Neither gamble on crosses which is very frustrating because there were a few cracking balls whipped into the six-yard box but nobody was on the end of them. Our strikers wait for the ball to come to them instead of attacking space. Briscoe is probably the most effective at doing this but played wide when he came on. Seabright isn't the answer in goal. Hargreaves obviously hasn't got a clue what to do with this position but he can't keep rotating his keepers. He needs to stick with one and beg Thea for a capable keeper in January. Just like Rice, Seabright doesn't command his area and hesitates when coming off his line. That said at least he didn't chuck the ball in his own net like his opposite number!

Mansell got a decent reception and applauded the Torquay fans before and after the game. Thought he played quite well and got stuck in as you'd expect. A midfield pairing of Manse and Young would be tasty at this level. Rovers will finish top three and could push Barnet for the automatic spot based on what I saw today.
Last edited by tommyg on 26 Dec 2014, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We deserved to lose that, but came very close to snatching a point. Benyon looked a shadow of the player he was 5 years ago, even in the warm up he couldn't manage a shot that was harder than 'backpass' level. Given how often he is offside you wouldn't be surprised if he was offside, but the linesman in front of the popside was equally as bad. Ajala was pulled back off the ball right in front of him, which he ignored, and he gave a few offside decisions which with the new stages interpretations should not have been given.

That said, we could have conceded about 10 on a different day. They sliced through us at will and without appalling finishing and Speiss being the most helpful visiting keeper since Alan Julian it should have been over long before the last minute.

Horrible conditions, and we weren't awful, but they were all over us for most of the game and we struggled to make any chances. We really need to beat Welling now and then have another crack at them in the away game.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Ricey wasn't dropped. He is poorly.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

He is certanly poor :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Listen to what proved to be a load of c**p! We did not have corner until the 71st minute - simply not acceptable in an home game. We could not score and had to rely on their goalie to do it for us - simply not acceptable in a home game.
Hargreaves comes on the radio to say we are a couple of players short - of being what Chris? He seemed to bemoan the fact that BR can pay Mansell double of what we can afford - Why? I can only ever remember Mansell having one good season for us. What are you trying to achieve the club?
I do not have any faith in CH 's abilities to get us promotion but I do not really blame him.
Perhaps more importantly I would like to say to the board:
-You no longer receive from my wife and myself approximately £34 every fortnight because the product you offer and are ultimately responsible for, is sub standard. I am therefore no longer a fan, but am a follower of the club's fortunes. I would like to start giving you the £34 again and once again be a fan, but to do so can you please tell me:
- What is your ambition for the club?
- Is your ambition supported by a well thought out plan so it is ( the ambition) more than simply a wish list?
- Can we fans see the plan?
- If you do not have a plan what is the purpose of the board.?
Today it sounded as if we were not really in the game - as I said I'm now thinking it is not really Hargreave's fault...
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Another poor performance today and well beaten by a much better team - only 33% possession, 5 attempts and none on target (the goal was a really poor OG by their keeper who was awful all game except we didn't really make him play!) says it all. Really can't see where the next acceptable performance is going to come from. The team look a shadow of their former selves and no-one in the rest of the squad seems able to force their way in to the starting 11 thus giving the manager options.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Well where do I start on todays game? if it had been a Boxing match it would have been stopped.Good start to the day in your Boot and Laces-lovely little clubhouse with a good atmosphere and so good to be allowed in after previous times where we haven't been allowed in. Based on previous games against you I was expecting a very tough game with a larger than normal crowd and the past added ingredients to the contest but in all honesty it was a very one way match in which i honestly believe 5-1 wouldn't have flattered us. Our form has been improving recently and I think that was probably our best all round performance of the season. Worse goal conceded since our goalkeeper punched a corner in against Bath and if you think you have keeping problems then at the moment we are not far behind you!!
Was impressed with Young but felt overall your side has worsened over the last couple of years and you certainly would have been very flattered if the "goal" at the end had stood. It wouldn't have really surprised me as no team can afford to miss chance after chance and be only one goal ahead because it it always odds on that the team that has done very little will end up getting a last minute equaliser.
I would not be stupid enough to predict next weeks result as no doubt the game will be completely different but on todays performance I will be surprised if you manage to finish much above 10th but a lot will depend i imagine on the work both managers do in the January window.
At half time I thought we had played very well particularly taking account of the conditions and following the second half I realised that we had played very well in that first 45.
I think todays result makes next weeks game that much more difficult for us to win and it will be interesting to see what the effort put in today does to the team against Macclesfield on Sunday. Have you played them yet? How do you feel we compare to them?
I wish you all the bset for the rest of the season except next week!!!
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

friendlygas wrote:Well where do I start on todays game? if it had been a Boxing match it would have been stopped.Good start to the day in your Boot and Laces-lovely little clubhouse with a good atmosphere and so good to be allowed in after previous times where we haven't been allowed in. Based on previous games against you I was expecting a very tough game with a larger than normal crowd and the past added ingredients to the contest but in all honesty it was a very one way match in which i honestly believe 5-1 wouldn't have flattered us. Our form has been improving recently and I think that was probably our best all round performance of the season. Worse goal conceded since our goalkeeper punched a corner in against Bath and if you think you have keeping problems then at the moment we are not far behind you!!
Was impressed with Young but felt overall your side has worsened over the last couple of years and you certainly would have been very flattered if the "goal" at the end had stood. It wouldn't have really surprised me as no team can afford to miss chance after chance and be only one goal ahead because it it always odds on that the team that has done very little will end up getting a last minute equaliser.
I would not be stupid enough to predict next weeks result as no doubt the game will be completely different but on todays performance I will be surprised if you manage to finish much above 10th but a lot will depend i imagine on the work both managers do in the January window.
At half time I thought we had played very well particularly taking account of the conditions and following the second half I realised that we had played very well in that first 45.
I think todays result makes next weeks game that much more difficult for us to win and it will be interesting to see what the effort put in today does to the team against Macclesfield on Sunday. Have you played them yet? How do you feel we compare to them?
I wish you all the bset for the rest of the season except next week!!!
Even though you were clearly the better side, if that was your best performance of the season then I dont fancy your chances of going up. Finishing is part of the game and you were pretty awful at it and your goals (though the first was a good strike) were down to basic errors from Torquay. Especially the second. You wont be gifted those kind of goals every week and your goals for total suggests that you dont have much up front. I'm not trying to throw the toys out the pram here but I dont think you are that good a side and have seen a few better this season.

I also think that on another day, Blisset would have seen red for the offence he got a yellow for and the fact that your manager subbed him straight away suggests he thought he could have walked as well. Although you will be favourites on new years day, don't expect to get it as easy as you did today.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Fair enough but remember we were the away side and created possibly ten good chances and continually tore you to threads at the back as well as totally controlling the midfield. As I said i do not feel today's result means anything for next week and it is easy to say we are not a very good team but just as easily we could say that out of the teams we have played you have been the worst side we have played but with 19 games to go today's game is just 3 points and at the end of the day it is the result that counts and i will settle for our current position.
We have missed gilt edged chances all season and all that it has meant is that we are second and not top. As regards our efforts being down to your mistakes is that not true of most goals scored? Add to that I can't recall a shot on our goal other than our goalkeepers effort!
I really do think that 5-1 would have flattered you based on the play as I saw it.
If I had thought you had played well i would have said so as I usually have after our games in recent years. today I am afraid you had nothing to offer but next week.....who knows? Only time will tell.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A dreadful performance today, we just held on in the first half but the second half was embarrassing.

Bowman is starting to irritate me with his lack of interest unless the ball is played perfectly to his feet, Cameron is nothing like the player he was when he arrived. Ajala was better in pre-season (when he needed a contract) and Richards hasn't been the same since getting a red card at Forest Green.

Next week at the Memorial will be interesting but on the evidence of todays performance, I've decided not to go.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

friendlygas wrote:Fair enough but remember we were the away side and created possibly ten good chances and continually tore you to threads at the back as well as totally controlling the midfield. As I said i do not feel today's result means anything for next week and it is easy to say we are not a very good team but just as easily we could say that out of the teams we have played you have been the worst side we have played but with 19 games to go today's game is just 3 points and at the end of the day it is the result that counts and i will settle for our current position.
We have missed gilt edged chances all season and all that it has meant is that we are second and not top. As regards our efforts being down to your mistakes is that not true of most goals scored? Add to that I can't recall a shot on our goal other than our goalkeepers effort!
I really do think that 5-1 would have flattered you based on the play as I saw it.
If I had thought you had played well i would have said so as I usually have after our games in recent years. today I am afraid you had nothing to offer but next week.....who knows? Only time will tell.
I'm not gonna try and even begin to defend that today. However I don't think you are that good a team. It's honestly not sour grapes, just that you seem pretty toothless up front. The guy who scored the first had a fair few good chances in the game and missed them all bar that one. In fact if I'm not mistaken, that was only his 4rth goal this season from open play (he also has 3 penalties) in 26 games. Thats not good enough for me and I think if you continue to struggle to score goals it will catch up with you. Especially in the play off matches should you make it. He seems better outside the box than in it.

I think most things went right for you guys today and tbh I can see why you draw a lot of games. You're well organised and hard to break down but unless you address your striking problems (is it fair to call them problems?) then I think you are always going to drop points.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Shame the referee didn't sort out that annoying gobshite Stuart Sinclair. a poor mans Trevor Hockey who was mouthing off at him for the whole game. Also the guy who got away with kicking Levi Ives in the head. Carthorse Blissett as said before who should have received a red.

Just illustrates how bad the officials are in this league when Sinclair pushes over Pearce in the last couple of minutes right in front of the ref but allows play to carry on !! Incredible

Saying all that Rovers created more and obviously deserved the win but is is still hilarious that a club with gates of 6k and is so big is actually in the conference !!
Upthegas
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Lee mansell lol

Post by Upthegas »

It doesn't matter how many goals you score. We are second for a reason. You're the team that will probably score 2 a game but concede 3 where as I'd happy take our 1-0 win... Add a bit more quality up front and we'll be top 5 for sure. You were rubbish today and on another day we could of had 5 or 6, we should of had an obvious pen, hit bar. Should've had a goal in first half which crossed the line apparently but not given we missed 2 pretty much open goals and a few more really good chances. Maybe you should worry about your own position. Looking at a team that won't go up according to you create so many chances on that sort of pitch... 10th for you max me thinks

See you next week at the mem
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm not sure what first half you lot were watching.

When the weather was not ruining any chance of actual sport being acted out, we were playing all the football. After the break, once any chance of that was gone due to the conditions, Rovers "physical style" won out. Yeah, they created a shed load of chances, but they also managed to miss them all. If the boot had been on the other foot, dearest Hector (where is he?) would be telling us all that we're shit because it's no good creating chances if you can't finish them off. Points aren't awarded for having most shots off target.

Can anyone remember a genuinely worse keeper then their bloke today? Add him to their comedy strikers and you have to wonder whether this football lark might be as embarrassing as rugby fans seem to think it is.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"