TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Upthegas wrote:It doesn't matter how many goals you score. We are second for a reason. You're the team that will probably score 2 a game but concede 3 where as I'd happy take our 1-0 win... Add a bit more quality up front and we'll be top 5 for sure. You were rubbish today and on another day we could of had 5 or 6, we should of had an obvious pen, hit bar. Should've had a goal in first half which crossed the line apparently but not given we missed 2 pretty much open goals and a few more really good chances. Maybe you should worry about your own position. Looking at a team that won't go up according to you create so many chances on that sort of pitch... 10th for you max me thinks

See you next week at the mem
No you wouldn't have as you're not good enough up front. The "goal" didn't cross the line and not even your own player who was near it claimed it did.

I think you will finish in the play off places but I'm not sure you have enough to make it back up due to your poor goals for record. Unless of course you bring in someone in January who will finish the chances for you.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Yes and you should have received at least one if not two red cards. Usual planks in black so you got away with it.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Friendly gas - piss off you didn't create 10 good chances at all. What a load of tosh. You are the best supported team by a mile in this division yets you havn't got a hope in hell of getting automatic promotion because you won't catch Barnet who are light years a better team than you are on alot smaller crowds than you have.
Lets be fair you should be ashamed of yourselves for getting relegated last season. When you get into the play offs I hope to god you are beaten by Eastleigh or some equally crap team - that will shut your trap right up, a bit like what happened last season when you made a fool of yourself on here.
Plain fact is that you scraped homne today courtesy of some yet more shite officials.
In the second half the conditions worsened so much that it was damn near impossible for us to mount an attack - yet we still nearly managed an equaliser.
Despite having the conditions so much in your favour you managed a total of precisely no goals in the second half - fantastic
Oh yes and your winning goal? - the corner that was an obvious goal kick. The ref was stood two yards from it when our player watched it over the line. It was a disgraceful decision to award a corner from a fat prick of a referee who seemed to spend must of the second half having a running joke with Trottman - and where was the ref from - yes you have guessed it Plymouth.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Whilst FL is right about their keeper, in all other respects he is wrong. We were never at the races - couldn't muster one shot on target and were second best in all other positions over the field except for Young.

Guys, just accept for once that our guests on this forum are right - they played well and, had the conditions been better, would have scored a hatful against our shambolic defence. Also, no matter how much it hurts they ARE a good side and the table does not lie - they are probably the only side who will push Barnet close whilst we will be fortunate to finish much above mid table.

Also, no way could we blame the referee this time either.

Sad but true.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Well Matt, I have always been honorable in defeat as when we lost to you in the first game against you under Buckle and last season at the Mem. It's a shame that you cannot be the same. It was similar weather in the first half to the second half just that we handled it a lot better than you and should have gone in 4-0 up. If you think you were playing all the "football" then I must say I don't think you were watching the first half at all. Your goal was only down to our keeper as you didn't create one worthwhile chance when the weather was obviously in your favour Without even thinking we had the two goals,the open goal which Blissett missed and another header that our player says was over the line. What do you actually call Football? We were running you ragged.

After the break we should have scored at least 6 with flowing football where Taylor and Gosling in particular ran through you and past you with ease so if that is not football then I am not sure what is. We hit the post, your goalkeeper made an excellent save but also did what was an obvious foul and should have been a penalty and your defenders made numerous blocks in addition to at least three headers that we should have put away. All these chances were created with good football.
As for the physical style and the suggestion of 2 red cards and poor refereeing I see this as your problem when you have been beaten it has always been down to the referee.
As regards our keeper we have ,in Mildenhall, probably the best Keeper in this League and Spiess is on loan as Puddy is also just recovering from a broken arm. I agree he is not a particularly good keeper but is he worst than yours? I read your forum regularly and I would suggest that he is not worse than either of your keepers although that is not saying much!
You will need to learn to be more honourable in defeat because if other teams are as someone said much better than us then you will be losing a few games by heavy scores. If our strikers are comical then yours are hilarious because they didn't manage to have a shot at our goal!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

A Realist wrote: Even though you were clearly the better side, if that was your best performance of the season then I dont fancy your chances of going up. Finishing is part of the game and you were pretty awful at it and your goals (though the first was a good strike) were down to basic errors from Torquay. Especially the second. You wont be gifted those kind of goals every week and your goals for total suggests that you dont have much up front. I'm not trying to throw the toys out the pram here but I dont think you are that good a side and have seen a few better this season.

I also think that on another day, Blisset would have seen red for the offence he got a yellow for and the fact that your manager subbed him straight away suggests he thought he could have walked as well. Although you will be favourites on new years day, don't expect to get it as easy as you did today.
are you still p155ed?

sorry to point this out, but they only scored two goals.........

and they cant finish?

we have benyon......... who cant stay onside....

well welcome to TUFC.

if you're a realist, god help us.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

I said you deserved to win on the chances you created BUT as said it was never a corner for your second goal but it should have been defended better when it came over. A shit decision which went your way.

The officials are far worse in this league and a lot of the decisions are a joke. Like I said that mouthy **** Sinclair got away with so much an utter disgrace. I don't blame the officials for everything but for fecks sake it would help if they could do their jobs right !!

Red cards would have made a difference to the game and your players should have received them. You obviously cant accept that.

The best "football" team at Plainmoor has been Gateshead certainly not you or the cheating shit from Barnet. You and them will do better as you are more "street wise" or "professional" !!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

friendlygas wrote:Well Matt, I have always been honorable in defeat as when we lost to you in the first game against you under Buckle and last season at the Mem. It's a shame that you cannot be the same. It was similar weather in the first half to the second half just that we handled it a lot better than you and should have gone in 4-0 up. If you think you were playing all the "football" then I must say I don't think you were watching the first half at all. Your goal was only down to our keeper as you didn't create one worthwhile chance when the weather was obviously in your favour Without even thinking we had the two goals,the open goal which Blissett missed and another header that our player says was over the line. What do you actually call Football? We were running you ragged.

After the break we should have scored at least 6 with flowing football where Taylor and Gosling in particular ran through you and past you with ease so if that is not football then I am not sure what is. We hit the post, your goalkeeper made an excellent save but also did what was an obvious foul and should have been a penalty and your defenders made numerous blocks in addition to at least three headers that we should have put away. All these chances were created with good football.
As for the physical style and the suggestion of 2 red cards and poor refereeing I see this as your problem when you have been beaten it has always been down to the referee.
As regards our keeper we have ,in Mildenhall, probably the best Keeper in this League and Spiess is on loan as Puddy is also just recovering from a broken arm. I agree he is not a particularly good keeper but is he worst than yours? I read your forum regularly and I would suggest that he is not worse than either of your keepers although that is not saying much!
You will need to learn to be more honourable in defeat because if other teams are as someone said much better than us then you will be losing a few games by heavy scores. If our strikers are comical then yours are hilarious because they didn't manage to have a shot at our goal!
sorry for all the planks on here friendlygas - i was expecting a 3-0 drubbing....

it appears from the reports from the more sensible posters we were lucky only to lose 2-1.

hope we can stuff you at your place......even its a sneaky 1-0 in the 90th+5th min......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

credit to Pearce in the 1st half, a fantastic clearance off the line to prevent the score going 2-0 or 3-0 (cant remember which!)
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Brucie,
First Half
1. Goal No 1
2. Goal No2
3. Header from Monkhouse that he insists was well over the line but even if no a good chance.
4. Chance for Matty Taylor straight at keeper following a good run.
5. Miss from 4 yards out by Blissett.
6. Shot from Gosling when clean through,brilliant save low down from your keeper.
7. Header from Monkhouse at far post over the top when easier to score
8. Header from Trotman from corner hit the crossbar/post then bounced around area.
9. Push on Taylor by your goalkeeper at least a yard inside the penalty area when Taylor got to the ball first. It was a wild error by your keeper and a definite penalty.
10 Shot by Gosling which was going into the coner of the net before being deflected by your defender.
You are the best supported team by a mile in this division - Only sense you talk brucie!!!!!
yets you havn't got a hope in hell of getting automatic promotion because you won't catch Barnet who are light years a better team than you are on alot smaller crowds than you have.- Light years ahead of them and yet Martin Allen confirmed we played them off the park at the Memorial ground and beat them 2-1 and even you managed to beat them at Barnet so obviously not that good.
Lets be fair you should be ashamed of yourselves for getting relegated last season. - I agree but we can't do anything about that now and DESERVED it

"Plain fact is that you scraped home today courtesy of some yet more shite officials." Officials didn't really influence the game other than not giving us the definite penalty. Of course I forgot that you would walk this League if it wasn't for Martin Rice and the officials.
"In the second half the conditions worsened so much that it was damn near impossible for us to mount an attack - yet we still nearly managed an equaliser". - you weren't good enough to create a chance in either half of note and didn't have enough possession to do anything. We had far more chances both in the first half when the weather was against us and second half we were all over you. Surely you don't honestly think you were in the game at any time other than when you kicked off!
"Despite having the conditions so much in your favour you managed a total of precisely no goals in the second half - fantastic". Well you couldnt score a goal for yourself in either half.
"Oh yes and your winning goal? - the corner that was an obvious goal kick".- obvious only to you..You whining old git!!!!

" The ref was stood two yards from it when our player watched it over the line. It was a disgraceful decision to award a corner from a fat prick of a referee who seemed to spend must of the second half having a running joke with Trottman - and where was the ref from - yes you have guessed it Plymouth" . Brucie, you are not the only team to have to put up with awful officials. we all have to but some of us just get on with it without whinging over every decision. You got what you deserved from the game today- NOTHING and without doubt it was the worse Torquay team we have played in 4 years.
I have little doubt that you will give a better performance next week and who knows which way it will go,
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

A Realist wrote:
Indeed. I was sitting almost exactly level with the goal line and the ball was cleared before it went in. To be fair, it was damn close and it was incredibly fortunate that it was cleared.
TUST member 203
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Friendlygas - as I said piss off to your own board. We were rank average yesterday but you are in denial if you think you have a good team because you havn't.
You were not denied a certain penalty that is absolute nonsense for starters. We lost the game because we made mistakes in the first half.
But anyone but the clinically insane would concede that the conditions worsened in the second half to such an extent it made it nigh on impossible for us to mount an attack.
Why do you think that you were able to defend free kicks about five yards from the centre circle? don't you actually think that was due to the atrocious conditions we were playing against.
Your strikers were indeed of comedic value because they managed to cock up a whole host of chances in the second half.
I didn't really see whether our "goal" was offside or not to be honest but it doesn't alter the fact the you ulimately won the game because of some key decisions by the officials ie the offside decision on the goal and the plainly ludicrous decision of the referee to award a corner for your scond goal.
If you had scored a couple more goals in the second half then these decisions wouldn't have made any difference but continually hoiking shots over the bar for forty five minutes don't actually count.
You are not taken seriously because you are basically as blinded as every other Bristol Rovers fan.
You came on here a couple of weeks ago and said that because of your squad you would out perform Exeter in League 2. They have players like Matt Grimes and what he would do to your midfield pairing of Mansell and Sinclair doesn't bear thinking about.Its comments such as this which show you up for the fool you really are.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Officials are on the whole the same for both sides, yesterday the ref made some glaringly obvious mistakes, the Lino on the bench side gave a few decisions and had it have been a glaringly obvious pen I feel sure he would have given it, what really jared me off was the Lino on the popside.

He hardly made one decision on his own all afternoon, get one offside totally wrong then put his flag up like a flash with Benyons equaliser, if it was offside or not I don't know, wouldn't suprise ME to be honest, but Benyon looked from where I was to move forward when the ball came forward.

Rovers just looked more athletic to me, and will be there or there abouts come the end of the season, so obviously spend more time on fitness, people harp on about our management pair doing well with their "own team" next season but I'm not sure they have the tactical invention to be honest. We seen two games recently with virtually nothing in the way of creating a clear cut chance or even getting the ball to players who are capable of doing something.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not the best performance by us at all yesterday. Thought we started the game well with O'Archie giving Trottman some anxious moments . Typically for us though we conceded a goal from their first attack - Ives (who was poor for me yesterday) twice failed to find any distance with two clearances and then a total cock up by Pearce.
Ironically Pearce played well for the rest of the game and kept running rings round the long haired donkey they had in midfield.
Ultimately the second goal lost us the game - a clear goal kick given as a corner by the referee who had a clear view of it. Sods law they scored from it.
Tough going in the second half for us but really its hard to criticise as the conditions really worsened meaning we were destined to spend most of the time on the back foot.
I thought Hargreaves should have taken off Cameron instead of Ajala and then made another mistake by putting Xmas pudding Briscoe up aganst the quick Leadbitter.
Ultimately though the introduction of Yeoman and Benyon seemed to have some sort of impact as we did manage to mount some sort of pressure at the end.
I was in line with our disallowed goal but didn't really notice whether it was offside or not - the linesman seemed to take about five minutes to raise his flag.
Another big mistake was Hargreaves decision to wear his normal strange day wear instead of a coat.
He actually sounds as though he has all but given up in his after match interview.
We lost again - one worry for me was that we didn't really seem motivated. The back four were standing around in the rain for about five minutes in the pissing rain whilst Hodges was talking to Hargreaves in the pre match warm up. The rest of the team just seemed to be kicking the ball around aimlessly.
Another long trip to Welling where we will no doubt lose again and then Bristol Rovers where that will be repeated.
It could well be that the FA Trophy is all we have to look forward to in the new year.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

We continue to spiral downwards in performances and league position. Board members have left and no replacements of fresh investment. I thought there was talk recently of fresh investment with a new member to the board??
Our management team is inexperienced, our team is inconsistent, disjointed and basically playing poorly.
Something positive needs to happen and quickly because at this rate things do not look good. Oh and before someone says we'll be fine its just a few bad results, remind yourselves of last season.