FA Trophy Quarter-Final vs. FC United of Manchester

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Good draw for us, particularly being at home. I am sure they will travel in numbers and are quite possibly the only team left in the draw who might fill the away end! A bit of a shame in some ways though as looking at the clubs left in, they would quite possibly have been my top choice to face at Wembley, should we be fortunate enough to make the final as let's face it it represents the only realistic chance of ever seeing TUFC v Manchester Utd (with the order of the words changed ever so subtly!) in aWembley Cup Final.

It might also spark the interests of "followers" of the other Man Utd (even though a fair few of them will never have seen them play "live") in the South Devon area. A chance to see the "other" United and get kitted out in their MUFC clobber might be as close as they ever get to watching them (the more famous one) at Plainmoor.

Pleased that we finally get a home game on a Saturday afternoon again as well - particularly as I missed the last one as well (Barnet). Reckon we could get over 3000 for this one, or am I being too optimistic?
Last edited by CP Gull on 26 Jan 2015, 13:14, edited 2 times in total.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

All depends on the price

Will they stay at the £1 kid and £10 popside adult price?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

The balls have certainly been working in our favour throughout this draw! I think it's the best possible scenario - at home to the lowest ranked team in the competition who will probably fill the away end. I wouldn't reduce prices too much - it certainly won't have an effect on how many FC United fans make the trip and we haven't had a Saturday home game for a while so would expect the attendance to top 3,000. Also good to see Dartford/Halifax v Wrexham/Gateshead paired together.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Excellent draw, really pleased!
TUST MEMBER
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Great draw, this is the one I hoped for, decent entrance price and I will be there for sure.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Perfect draw - and big gate will follow. Very much needed.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Crumpets
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Crumpets »

StretfordGull wrote:Haha, I've been sat at work, waiting for the draw with an FC United fan.
He told me to not be too disappointed if we lose.
Reckons they'll take a thousand, him included.
They're only seventh, two divisions down so I think we have every right to be disappointed if we lose.
Surely they won't be able to cope with Luke young.
This is Torquay though.
[With 8 games in hand on the leaders ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Game to be played on Saturday 7 February: http://www.thefa.com/news/competitions/ ... raw-260115

The draw in full:

Woking or Dover Athletic v Bath City
Dartford or FC Halifax Town v Wrexham or Gateshead
Torquay United v FC United of Manchester
North Ferriby United v Braintree Town or Ebbsfleet United
IVB
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Ajala

Post by IVB »

Quotes ike this "I wouldn't reduce prices too much - it certainly won't have an effect on how many FC United fans make the trip " might come back and bite you. Could be the difference between 1500 turning up and a few hundred. We are often seen as a cash cow and our home attemdances are similar to yours, and our away support is large at all games. However boycotts have occured in the past, If a 1000 turn up at £15 which is reasonable amount for this match you won't have done bad (We charge £8) Its a 520 mile round trip for our fans to drive so it would be a good gesture to keep the prices low.

For those who dont know to much about our fan owned club lots of info here

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/home.php
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

They are two divisions below us - stern test? we couldn't have wished for a better draw surely. We have bigged up every opposition team in the competition so far in which we have scored 11 and conceded nought. They are a lower ranked team than any we have played so far.
Lets be honest if we don't get to the semis then its time for some serious arse kicking.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

IVB wrote:Quotes ike this "I wouldn't reduce prices too much - it certainly won't have an effect on how many FC United fans make the trip " might come back and bite you. Could be the difference between 1500 turning up and a few hundred. We are often seen as a cash cow and our home attemdances are similar to yours, and our away support is large at all games. However boycotts have occured in the past, If a 1000 turn up at £15 which is reasonable amount for this match you won't have done bad (We charge £8) Its a 520 mile round trip for our fans to drive so it would be a good gesture to keep the prices low.

I would agree with this.

We charged £10 for our previous home Trophy game and would hope the club repeat this price.

I do have to chuckle about opposition fans moaning about the distance they have to travel though when our nearest away game is 100 miles away!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I'm with the FCUM fan on this one. I don't think that we should "take advantage" and charge the full (League) price for this one, but I do think we should charge more than the £10 that we charged for the Bromley game. I think a rise is fair because 1/ It is after all the Quarter Finals of a national competition and 2/ No doubt with them having such a large following there will be a hike in stewarding/policing costs which is what I think the club will (justifiably in this case) use as a reason for raising prices - the £15 suggested seems about right to me.

I will however disagree to an extent with the FCUM fan in saying that if we charge full prices we will be guilty of "milking it". This may well be true based on their league matches but I am pretty certain that the proceeds from FA Trophy matches are shared equally (after costs) between the two teams and so their team would benefit in exactly the same way as we do. In fact not only that but I'm pretty sure that any pricing for FAT games is actually agreed BETWEEN the two clubs and so if we do charge too much they will only have themselves (being a fan owned club) to blame!
Grim
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Grim »

Jerry wrote: I would agree with this.

We charged £10 for our previous home Trophy game and would hope the club repeat this price.

I do have to chuckle about opposition fans moaning about the distance they have to travel though when our nearest away game is 100 miles away!
Another FC fan here just popping in to wish you all the best. (Hopefully that best won't be good enough!). IVB is right - we've boycotted games when teams have tried to cash in too much. but I am sure this won't happen this time. We'll bring a few. I imagine there may be a few staying over the weekend.

You must be favourites to win but it is a cup game and anything can happen. Ask Rochdale and Brighton.

Good point about your travelling! =D

Be ready for some noise - we don't stop singing!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Like I said above .... there is no question of us "milking" it as whatever we make from the game so do YOU!

Likewise, I am really looking forward to it too. Certainly don't think we will be underestimating you as clearly you are a club that is on the way up and will no doubt be overtaking us within the next few years with the way things are going for both clubs at this moment in time. I imagine there would be a natural ceiling as to how far you can go but rather like AFC Wimbledon, I can quite easily see a time when you are at, or perhaps even above, their sort of level.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

IVB wrote:Quotes ike this "I wouldn't reduce prices too much - it certainly won't have an effect on how many FC United fans make the trip " might come back and bite you. Could be the difference between 1500 turning up and a few hundred. We are often seen as a cash cow and our home attemdances are similar to yours, and our away support is large at all games. However boycotts have occured in the past, If a 1000 turn up at £15 which is reasonable amount for this match you won't have done bad (We charge £8) Its a 520 mile round trip for our fans to drive so it would be a good gesture to keep the prices low.

If we charge you £15, which I also think is a reasonable amount, we'd only actually be charging £2 less then you'd pay to stand in the away terrace for a league game. I wasn't suggesting charging full price, even though we'd be perfectly entitled to do that given that this is a quarter-final and the winners will be within touching distance of a day out at Wembley. I certainly don't think we should set prices at £10 though as we did in a previous round. The stakes are much higher now and we'd be both shooting ourselves in the foot as the money is split equally.