FA Trophy Quarter-Final vs. FC United of Manchester

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

portugull wrote:I spoke to some away fans at Plainmoor this morning who had flown to Exeter with Flybe.

Very friendly folks. They mentioned they have a very good goalkeeper but the defence is vulnerable to crosses.

Looking forward to a terrific cup tie.
Their defence is vulnerable to crosses?

Let's hope the ball stays on the ground then or it could finish 7-7! ;-)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

stefano wrote: Their defence is vulnerable to crosses?

Let's hope the ball stays on the ground then or it could finish 7-7! ;-)
Funny. where have i heard that before. Even dracula has less fear of crosses than we do.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

wow. i got a chance to come down tomorrow. Got my choo choo tickets. and Taxi lady has kindly assisted with helping me from Station.hope its not too cold. lets hope its a really good attendance and we win. Come on you yellows :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Yes I had to smile!

I am going for 4-2 to United. Torquay that is!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good luck for tomorrow all. A large crowd, a semi final at stake, more income and hopefully a bit more cheer down at TQ1. I'll be keeping tabs on the score and keeping my fingers crossed for a Gulls win. Saw FC United when they played out a 0-0 draw at Matlock Town in October i think it was and they were bloody awful (as are the Gladiators from down the road too if truth be told) but no team needs to be told how cup ties against lower opposition can come back and bite you on the arse. I read the Luke Young piece on BBC Sport about 'showing FC United a different class'. If it was FC United v Barcelona then yeah, the boy's got a point but sadly it's not. It's Torquay United v FC United of Manchester and if we're being brutal, there isn't a HUGE difference in 'class' between the two groups of players.

This game could all boil down to who has the right attitude on the day rather than some Messi-esque skill from one individual or another. It's a very intriguing game of football and possibly could be the boot up the sphincter that CH and some of the players need to try and push for that increasingly distant play off spot.

Crack on lads. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just also want to congratulate FC United on what they have achieved and shown can be achieved if enough people pull together for one cause. That old cliche 'Nobody is bigger than the club' often trotted out to unruly Premiershite players by their managers who then see said player get what he wants in the end anyway, that old cliche is DEFINITELY true of clubs like FC United and not some pathetic false front up by vertebraeically challenged self serving managers and chairmen.

I'm not actually 100% sure if 'vertebraeically' is a real word but hey, it sounds good to me so i'm having it man.

Grass roots. The fusion of football and the common man. There is football and there is real football.

Tomorrow might end up being as entertaining as watching Dale Winton reprising his glory days as host of Supermarket Sweep in a new game show called 'JUST A LIDL BIT' where he attempts to round up a herd of Walruses in Spitsbergen to try and win a weeks worth of value shopping for members of the public. It might not be pleasing on the eye or particularly rewarding viewing but it's patched up, thrown together and it's raw. It's the bottom of the barrel being scraped but a must see for fans of both clubs.

It's Torquay United v FC United of Manchester and if i had a choice between this and Stoke v WBA (with due respect to both of those clubs) then it's no contest.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Come on - there clearly is a gulf in class. Thats born out by our results so far in this competition and Fc United are actually a lower class of opposition than the three teams we have trounced so far.
Of course that doesn't mean we are going to win - their support could make a difference, but really we are playing a team who are of the same standard as Bideford. So there is actually a fairly big difference.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote:Come on - there clearly is a gulf in class. Thats born out by our results so far in this competition and Fc United are actually a lower class of opposition than the three teams we have trounced so far.
Of course that doesn't mean we are going to win - their support could make a difference, but really we are playing a team who are of the same standard as Bideford. So there is actually a fairly big difference.
You are right Brucie as you very often are.

The trouble is you know we could easily lose this one. CH has already prepared the ground by saying it is not that important. Get your excuses in early!

Anyway, I think we will lose, but on the scale of things at this time of year the 6 Nations is far more important! ;-)
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Egg chasing is NEVER important..............
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

oohh nuts nits and more nuts. why do network snail decide this weekend of all weekends to close the line between Bristol and Taunton and Westbury and Taunton causing me more pain in trying to get there. I deliberately bought tickets for the train as I cant cope with the ride on an awful coach. it seems they dont care much about their customers. If I had known I wouldnt have made plans to come. nuts

taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Gloster's just phoned to say that his train journey won't get him to Exeter until after 2 pm which is going to be too late to get parking & tickets sorted. Is there anyone who could give him a lift from Bristol please ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Guys
Gutted is all i can say. Yes they refunded the cost of train tickets, But that's not the point. My day is stuffed. Yes I can do other things but not what i really wanted. Why do they have to close both routes to the West country. why not keep at least one of them open so at least we can get there in a reasonable time. Lack of mobility means an awful lot more than having to rely on public transport. in my case it even limits what sort of transport I can cope with. so road coaches are not an option for me. Oh well. its on the computer unless anyone from Bristol or Gloucester is still coming down. Wishing all a win down there. and maybe a decent draw in the semis.
Just checked the dates for work on railways lines for 21st feb too. yup the line is also closed then on both routes. I wouldnt mind, but to get over this they should allow us to leave earlier without penalising me with peak fares just because they want to close every darned line to suite their engineering.

goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Gorgeous bright sunny day here in Torquay....but still very cold. I always get a good feeling for Torquay United when the sun is shining. The players need to be at their very best today and the fans must stay vocal and positive. Really looking forward to our cup game.

Incidentally, if our French player comes on, the players call him "Oli", so if want to give him some support you know his name.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Should be spelled 'Ollie' I suppose, since the O.S. shows his name as Ollivier, though 'Olivier' is the more normal spelling for this name..
Anyway, 'Ollie Ollie Ollie, Oi Oi Oi'.. :-D
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

My advice to home fans would be to pay on the turnstile, ticket collection will be very busy!

The club have said it on their Website, Twitter and Facebook, there shouldn't be any moaning about this!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!