Torquay United exhibition at Torquay Museum

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

Manager and Players to Open Torquay United Exhibition at Torquay Museum

Torquay Utd Manager, Chris Hargreaves, along with some of the club’s first team players, will open a unique exhibition at Torquay Museum that tells the story of the Bay's most famous football team, The Gulls, on Monday 16th February at 11am.
The exhibition opening will be followed by a talk given by Laura Joint, who will launch her new book, Torquay United FC – Their History Mapped Out. Laura was the Torquay United correspondent for the Western Morning News from 1989-1997 and is an ex-BBC Devon journalist who has previously written a book on the history of the club.
The Torquay Museum exhibition, Torquay United - Glorious Gulls: An Underdog Story, will chart the history of the team from its founding 116 years ago until the present day, featuring the exhilarating highs and tearful lows of the Gulls through the decades. The exhibition runs from 16th February – 4th September 2015.

Tickets for the launch of the exhibition at Torquay Museum on Monday 16th February at 11am can be purchased by contacting the Museum on 01803 293975. Numbers are limited, so reserve your tickets early for your chance to meet the Torquay Utd Manager and players, and be one of the first to see this unique exhibition.

Thanks for the feedback re the website - we are only human here at the Museum!
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

Torquay United Season Ticket holders will have 10% off entry fees to the Museum, on presentation of their Season Tickets at reception - See more at: http://www.torquaymuseum.org/events/det ... L8iI3.dpuf
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Fleurette wrote:Manager and Players to Open Torquay United Exhibition at Torquay Museum

Tickets for the launch of the exhibition at Torquay Museum on Monday 16th February at 11am can be purchased by contacting the Museum on 01803 293975. Numbers are limited, so reserve your tickets early for your chance to meet the Torquay Utd Manager and players, and be one of the first to see this unique exhibition.
Is anybody from this forum going? :-/
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

No, but I bought the map thing, it's not what I expected, quite quirky and different, really quite large when unfolded. The author, Laura Joint, was very helpful too.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Yes BayGull I am going with my wife.

I had 3 items which I took in to Fleur at the Museum.

Looking forward to it.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote:Yes BayGull I am going with my wife.

I had 3 items which I took in to Fleur at the Museum.

Looking forward to it.
I shall also be going along at sometime during the exhibition with my lads and grandson, but probably not during the first few weeks.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I am in Torquay for a week's holiday from Tuesday morning, so will pop along, with my parents.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BayGull »

Just back from the opening - maybe on BBC Spotlight tonight as Dave Gibbins was there!

Also attending was Thea Bristow, Simon Baker, Andy Candy, Dean Edwards, Chris Hargreaves and four players, though they all seemed to clear off pretty quick after the initial opening - when I went downstairs to buy a book to be signed they had gone!!

Some interesting memorabilia on show, certainly not an easy subject to cover as it is over such a large period of time. It is good that the lady organising it (Fleur) has managed to get some good archive material as well as some present stuff, though there is a big gap over the Saunders, Atkins, Rosenior reign and the ownership battle when a lot went on - maybe that is too political!

Surprised Dave Thomas from the Herald Express was not there, though Laura Joint was (ex WMN, promoting her new publication).. and I didn't notice any past members of staff at all, maybe they were not invited.

Well worth a visit though, it will bring back memories of happier times for many of the senior supporters.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Attended exhibition this morning with my wife. Baygull was correct as it was featured on Spotlight this evening.

Had a few words with Chris Hargreaves and Simon Baker.

The exhibition is excellent and I hope as many fans as possible will visit the museum in the coming months.

Fleur has put a terrific amount of work into this project and I noticed that Chris Hargreaves has provided a number of exhibits.

The 4 players at the opening ceremony were Aaron Downes, Ryan Bowman, Louis Briscoe and Angus MacDonald.

I have no doubt Chris Hargreaves does have a real love for the club and will do everything possible to get us back into the Football League.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I was hoping to go to this event this morning if there were any spaces available but the wife and lad dug their heels in and I was out-voted. Really annoyed as it sounds like it was quite good. :@ I will definitely check it out at some point though.

I had a cunning plan to get us there and everything! The lad had a hospital appointment to assess his broken nose (bloody rugbys a barbaric sport played by ruffians :no: :no: ), aha we're in Torquay I thought so gradually working our way around a few shops looking for a new microwave and some wallpaper we somehow found ourselves in Babbacombe, getting closer, eyes on the prize chunky I thought, ;-) so just before Torwood Street and close to the museum I subtly encouraged the plan of going to the exhibit ( oh I've just remembered this is on, seeing as were here, blah, blah, blah :whistle: ) but the gruesome twosome were having none of it, even having the audacity to suggest that I had hatched this plan and was executing it all along.

The frustrating thing is after an about turn I was only 5 minutes away wandering around the sodding Range looking for more clutter to fill the house up with whilst the event at the mueseum was on. One of these days Im going to really put my foot down with those two. :whip:

Out of curiosity, just to wind myself up, was there many people there and were all the available spaces taken up?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BayGull »

chunkygull wrote: Out of curiosity, just to wind myself up, was there many people there and were all the available spaces taken up?
Possibly about 25-30 people there - lots of room available in the lecture room where we sat for the official opening talk by CH & LJ - you would have fitted in nicely!!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

I went yesterday and found the exhibition really interesting-some of my memorabilia is on show so the museum gave me and my son free tickets to the opening and the rest of the museum.Videos of our play-off finals are on a loop and brought back some mixed memories-watching the Blackpool POF penalty shoot-out again was fascinating-Bamber's penalty was incredibly poor;it was like he didn't have any strength left to kick the ball!
Well worth going and will help raise the profile of the club to a wider audience hopefully.
Fleurette
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fleurette »

Thank you for your support and fantastic feedback! I really enjoyed Monday morning and it was so good to have such a positive buzz around the Museum. Keep an eye on here and the press as we do have other TUFC themed events to tie in with the exhibtion. Ideas so far include having an evening showing of a complete game, inviting people to come with their scarves to recreate a game atmosphere. We do have a premises licence for alcohol and will hopefully be able to sell alcohol by the time the evening events take place. The next Monster Saturday (aimed towards kids but...!) is entitled Football Frenzy. See www.torquaymuseum.org for details!!
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BayGull »

As a 'by-the-by' Fleur .. you have nice legs too! :lol:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

BayGull wrote:As a 'by-the-by' Fleur .. you have nice legs too! :lol:
you Dirty Old Man................
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468