POSTPONED: Torquay Vs Lincoln City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Bowman was one of our better players v Wrexham, but was far too isolated, (in part due to Cameron being half a mile away!). One of the few good things to come out of the Wrexham game was that Bowman and Campbell linked up really well together, after we changed formation. I'd like to see those two together again tonight. I know our league position isn't great, and that the outlook is as bleak now as ever, but I'm looking forward to heading up to Plainmoor for a couple of beers and some footy. We're no great shakes, but neither are Lincoln, and I think we could do them 2-1.

COYY!!!!
WestKentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by WestKentGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Not sure (I've not had a proper look back) if anybody has said that the FA Trophy is "worthless" - but that the priority should, and must, be the league playoff places until the chance for us to get into them has gone.
Brucie and SG are two that spring to mind.

I totally agree though, getting back into the Football League is our priority.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Game OFF

TItle changed
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

WestKentGull wrote: Brucie and SG are two that spring to mind.

I totally agree though, getting back into the Football League is our priority.
I agree as well that getting back into the Football League is the priority, but as we have blown it for this season and it will probably take us several years, it would be nice to win the FA Trophy along the way. If nothing else it would be the first time ever the club has won a national competition (not that I'd given any thought to that before rjc pointed it out).

Probably have a couple of sendings off this evening though and that's the trophy blown! ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Silly me of course we won't have anybody sent off. Hadn't spotted that the match day thread has POSTPONED in the title!

Well that's a nailed on Wembley appearance then! ;-)
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Interesting decision seeing as no rain is forecast before and during the game!

Must be in a bad state, which can hopefully be sorted by Saturday!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
WestKentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by WestKentGull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Interesting decision seeing as no rain is forecast before and during the game!

Must be in a bad state, which can hopefully be sorted by Saturday!

:whistle:

As far as I can see on this internet thingy, Wrexham's game against FGR is still going ahead tonight.... with Wrexham, like us, clinging on to the hope of a late-season surge up the table to the play-offs it'll certainly help our cause regarding the FA Trophy on Saturday...

Did anyone see the ghost of Cyril Knowles around Plainmoor earlier?

:keepie:
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

According to the Lincoln forum we "got what [we] wanted". Interesting perspective.....
TUST member 203
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Surprised the game is off to be honest. Whilst there has been a fair bit of rain of late and it was quite heavy overnight it has been largely bright and even sunny at times, but very windy which would surely have only helped in drying up any surface moisture.

It does make you wonder how much of an "effort" was made to get the game on though as let's face it it DOES probably suit us better not to have this game at this time ;-) But, having said that, we do know that our pitch is (still in my opinion) in a pretty poor state even with the work done on it last summer and I didn't think it looked in great condition against FCUM - particularly when you consider that there has been barely any football played on it in 2015!!!

It certainly seems to the case that our games get postponed far more often these days, after even moderate rainfall, than they ever used to.

Have to feel sorry, first and foremost to the Lincoln fans and players/management who would surely have been well on their way (if not even here!) by the time the decision has been made. Yet again, I think it is rather poor on our part that the first mention of the game being in any sort of doubt is only made when the game is called off - just FIVE hours before kick off - surely the ground staff would have a fair idea by now of whether there is a genuine risk that the game might be called off and if so a warning should be issued well in advance and an EARLIER inspection made given that it probably takes all of five hours to get here from Lincoln!
Last edited by CP Gull on 24 Feb 2015, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

With or without the influence of Kelvin Thomas it seems we are still a joke of a football club:
http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Torqu ... story.html

I expect costs will be recovered by Lincoln City and rightly so.

Shameful and shows exactly how the club is currently being run. Pi$$ poor communication and planning which is only ever reactive and not pro-active.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
withawhy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by withawhy »

Certainly in our interests to have it postponed, but not this way and this late in the day - it should never have been rearranged in between the semi finals in the first place.

If the pitch really is unplayable, then we have a serious problem! Yes there has been some rain in the last few days, but nothing exceptional and it has been (and still is) a sunny day with no rain on the horizon

Is this the correct way to treat to treat the Torquay fans that travel long distances to come to Plainmoor (yes, Plainmoor!)?. Paul B was already at the Penn Inn roundabout when I phoned him!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Tonight's Halifax v. Eastleigh match was called off yesterday due to a waterlogged pitch.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

North Devon ref called it off as well.

Does not look very clever does it. Get a local ref to call the game of with no warning or announcements of prior concerns.

Even if there is no foul play going on the club still now looks guilty as sin due to the fat no one has the courtesy to keep both sets of fans as well as Lincoln City Football Club in the loop regarding the situation.

Must have been concerns yesterday, must of been concerns this morning, knew there would be a pitch inspection scheduled and yet nothing communicated regarding this.

Pathetic.
TUST member 328
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

6 hours before kick off game postponned

equivalent to 9am on a Saturday kick off

pretty standard isn't it?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:6 hours before kick off game postponned

equivalent to 9am on a Saturday kick off

pretty standard isn't it?
Is it standard not to communicate this onto the visiting team - instead informing them there are 'no concerns'?
TUST member 328