POSTPONED: Torquay Vs Lincoln City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
If it is to be the "best deceivers" to win Troj, then it's bound to be us....
We have deceived everyone this season by pretending to play football.

:nod: :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
If it is to be the "best deceivers" to win Troj, then it's bound to be us....
We have deceived everyone this season by pretending to play football.

:nod: :)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: little look and not quite the case

Team vs Us

Wrexham: Coughlin; Carrington, Ashton, Smith, Clarke, Moult, Keates (cpt), Tomassen, Jennings, Waterfall, Morris (York, 86).

Tonights Wrexham team

Wrexham: Coughlin, Tomassen, Smith, Hudson, Stephens, Carrington (Durrell - 46' ) Storer, Finley, York (Moult - 72' ) Bishop, Morris

7 (in bold) involved from our game to tonights squad.

I don't see any advantage to us in them playing tonight and us not. What will count on Saturday is what happens on Saturday and not what has happened tonight. I would rather play a full blooded game to keep me sharp and match fit than stroll around in training then hand out flyers on the seafront.

:-/
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

The referee called in is said to have come from North Devon so I am assuming he actually travelled down from there to do the inspection (say 1 1/2hrs travelling) add on say half an hour to an hour to an hour to get in touch with him and arrange things I would say that an issue was identified and arrangements commenced 2- 2 1/2 hours before the game being called off. Plenty of time for Lincoln to have been contacted and advised of a pitch inspection to allow them to at least stop part way to await an outcome.
If what Lincoln are saying is correct and the first they knew about it was when the postponement was announced, it seems very poor on our part.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: sorry that is utter nonsense
It rained a hell of a lot yesterday! And it did so again last night

Yes it may be sunny today but its no doubt the area along bristows bench which doesn't get much sun if any!
So why wasn't the pitch inspection arranged sooner when it must have obvious at 8am that the pitch was in a poor state? After all the rain we had on Sunday and the very heavy showers yesterday, I thought the game would be off. But why wait so long to arrange a pitch inspection? I can understand why the Lincoln manager and players are angry and I'm sure it could and should have been better organised. We are becoming a poorly run amateurish club. Some say we've been like it for a couple of years.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Yes thats about right - and all the pontificators on here such as Scott who is completely removed from reality saying we should play our best team tonight blah blah blh and hand the tie to Wrexham look a bit stupid now.
If you can't see why it's more important for us to do our best in the league, and play our strongest 11 (which it would appear from his comments, CH was going to do - rightly in my opinion), then you are even more of an idiot than I thought possible.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

tomogull wrote: So why wasn't the pitch inspection arranged sooner when it must have obvious at 8am that the pitch was in a poor state? After all the rain we had on Sunday and the very heavy showers yesterday, I thought the game would be off. But why wait so long to arrange a pitch inspection? I can understand why the Lincoln manager and players are angry and I'm sure it could and should have been better organised. We are becoming a poorly run amateurish club. Some say we've been like it for a couple of years.
And all the above aside, I'm sure it's cost us a ton of money in compensation - money we can ill afford to piss away.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Thoroughly hacked off with tonights postponement, I left the midlands at lunchtime today in brilliant sunshine, I drove down to Newton Abbot wearing shades to see the family then headed over to Plainmoor on dry roads. Only when I got to the crossroads by the Fortune of War did I notice the floodlights off and started to wonder what was going on.

The game was called off early afternoon but from what I understand there has been no rain all afternoon so how big a rainfall was there in Torbay during the previous 48 hours?

There are now three midweek games to attend which means more time off work to travel and I'm not even sure I can be bothered. They've got my ST money for this season so it doesn't matter if I attend or not. As for Saturday, I'll see how I feel when I get up Saturday morning.

What a shambles.

:@ :@ :@
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Burnhamgull wrote:Thoroughly hacked off with tonights postponement, I left the midlands at lunchtime today in brilliant sunshine, I drove down to Newton Abbot wearing shades to see the family then headed over to Plainmoor on dry roads. Only when I got to the crossroads by the Fortune of War did I notice the floodlights off and started to wonder what was going on.

The game was called off early afternoon but from what I understand there has been no rain all afternoon so how big a rainfall was there in Torbay during the previous 48 hours?

There are now three midweek games to attend which means more time off work to travel and I'm not even sure I can be bothered. They've got my ST money for this season so it doesn't matter if I attend or not. As for Saturday, I'll see how I feel when I get up Saturday morning.

What a shambles.

:@ :@ :@
Sunday - it rained onto already wet ground, certainly not dry.
sunday night - it rained a lot
monday - it rained in heavy bursts
monday night - it rained
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Burnhamgull wrote:Thoroughly hacked off with tonights postponement, I left the midlands at lunchtime today in brilliant sunshine, I drove down to Newton Abbot wearing shades to see the family then headed over to Plainmoor on dry roads. Only when I got to the crossroads by the Fortune of War did I notice the floodlights off and started to wonder what was going on.

What a shambles.
Can fully understand why you are hacked off. We had continuous rain from about midday on Sunday and several very heavy showers during Monday and more rain overnight. I was not surprised the game was off. However, as you say, we had no rain this morning and if the pitch wasn't playable when the inspection was made (1 pm ?) it certainly wasn't playable at, say, 8am so why wasn't the inspection made much earlier to save fans like you travelling hundreds of miles ? I reckon you'll be there on Saturday even though you have to pay ! You wouldn't be able to live with yourself if we won 5 -0 and you'd missed it !! BUT ..... rain is forecast for the rest of the week especially Thursday I think so best to check the chances of the game being on before you set out.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

There needs to be uniformity on when pitch inspections take place so everyone knows what the regulations are, & all clubs are "singing from the same songbook". I think that all inspections & decisions should be made 24 hours before kick off, if the pitch is unplayable then the game should be postponed. If the pitch is boarder line then it should be assumed that more rain/snow/frost is on its way, & the game postponed.
Early decisions will enable people / clubs to cancel
Travel arrangements
Matchday catering
Corporate entertainment
Stewards
Police
Hotel bookings
etc.etc.etc.

Of course sometimes the pitch at the kick off time will be playable but there will be no blame on the club as they will have complied with the regulations.
Fans will know that they need to look on the website 24 hours before, they will soon get used to doing this.
Yes, I know what you are thinking " what if the heavens open 3 hours before kick off" well there is nothing that can be done about this & nobody will be at fault, not even the Chief Rabbi.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

wodger of awabia wrote:There needs to be uniformity on when pitch inspections take place so everyone knows what the regulations are, & all clubs are "singing from the same songbook". I think that all inspections & decisions should be made 24 hours before kick off, if the pitch is unplayable then the game should be postponed. If the pitch is boarder line then it should be assumed that more rain/snow/frost is on its way, & the game postponed.
Early decisions will enable people / clubs to cancel
Travel arrangements
Matchday catering
Corporate entertainment
Stewards
Police
Hotel bookings
etc.etc.etc.

Of course sometimes the pitch at the kick off time will be playable but there will be no blame on the club as they will have complied with the regulations.
Fans will know that they need to look on the website 24 hours before, they will soon get used to doing this.
Yes, I know what you are thinking " what if the heavens open 3 hours before kick off" well there is nothing that can be done about this & nobody will be at fault, not even the Chief Rabbi.
Don't be silly, Wodger. That suggestion is MUCH too sensible for the F.A. to take on board. But yes - excellent idea in principal. :clap:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

A topic like this for the FA will be well down the list as they grapple with a Christmas World Cup.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

While Kelvin's away the incompetent hold sway.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Can't really see what the problem is if the game is called off 8 hours before kick off. Its just one of those things. No doubt if you had called it off earlier there would be calls of not wanting to play the game because of the importance of the game Saturday. The club just cannot win .The main worry at the moment in this League seems to be getting games played on grounds like Halifax, Kidderminster and Dartford and not the likes of yourselves where there seems to be very few postponements.