Who can turn it around?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
OnTheContrary
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Who can turn it around?

Post by OnTheContrary »

It seems unlikely that CH will go, but who do you realistically think would be able to turn us into a winning side again, and one that can push for promotion next season?

Buckle is available, could we forget and forgive? He certainly has the credentials for the job...
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Even though his stock has lowered since leaving us, Buckle's record at Conference level is very good. Much better than Hargreaves' record. It won't happen, though. And he's always had a few quid to play with at this level with both us and Luton.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Kelvin Thomas needs to do his magic and make this club a viable investment for a future Chairperson. It is essential that the new Chairperson has a bucket full of business acumen as to keep this club afloat, it will be a truly arduous task.

Collectively the new board members must fully support their chosen employees, whom ever they may be.

Next seasons promotion push will rely heavily on the support given to the product provided by the board.

As for Buckle, he was very fortunate to have built his own squad from day one. He was heavily backed by the board ( a gamble some might say) and got us promoted.
For me, he was a snake in the grass, seemingly deliberately spoiling our playoff game at Old Trafford and then taking our Family jewels to the Gasheads!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No, not Paul Buckle, it wouldn't be about forgiving and forgetting to be honest, they say in football never go back, I don't think the situation at the club would help Paul Buckle and there is, whether some like it or not, a question mark against his man-management style, after all there was always rumours of player fall outs here, and then Bristol Rovers, Luton and Cheltenham, no one can be that unlucky, there couldn't have been people working against him at three different clubs.

We do not have time as a club for anyone to learn the trade, the situation next season, with what I think are going to be drastically reduced budgets regardless of big earners being taken off the books, is crying out for a hardened, battle torn conference/non-league manager, someone who knows where the players are, what type of player is needed, and what style of football to suit, at a club with no money.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If Chris gets back to basics and gets some discipline back in the side there is no reason why he can't turn the tide but it means putting Briscoe back up front with Bowman and Mcdonald with Downes at centre back with the French guy fullback. The midfield needs addressing and after Saturday. I still think three could be the answer so perhaps Pearce could go fullback and the French guy holding midfield player.
I just hope we can get a result. :keepie: It will be interesting to see what Chris does. :keepie:
torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Cameron

Post by torkie_buoy »

arcadia wrote:If Chris gets back to basics and gets some discipline back in the side there is no reason why he can't turn the tide but it means putting Briscoe back up front with Bowman and Mcdonald with Downes at centre back with the French guy fullback. The midfield needs addressing and after Saturday. I still think three could be the answer so perhaps Pearce could go fullback and the French guy holding midfield player.
I just hope we can get a result. :keepie: It will be interesting to see what Chris does. :keepie:
Funny you should say that, I would just considering the prospect of a 3-5-2 formation. Gueguen I feel would be what i think is much needed height in midfield; the Wrexham game was a perfect example of how our current midfield can be cut through like butter. I do recall a Plymouth fan stating the danger of playing Young as a midfield two and I kind of think he was right. Youngy seems to make these blistering runs at players who dodge out the way and before you know it we've got one player up the other end of the pitch huffing and puffing to get back. With all do respect I see that Young is putting in a tremendous amount of effort and energy when doing this but he needs to learn fast that it leaves a hole in midfield. I would be looking at relieving Young of most of his defensive duties and try him out in more of a creative role behind the striker/s.

This is the sort of team I'd adopt (disregarding any injuries etc.) 3-5-2

Pearce - Macdonald - Downes
Chappell - Gueguen - Richards - Ajala
Young
Briscoe - Bowman/Campbell

I'm not saying this would work in any case whatsoever, but I think its getting to a point where it couldn't get any worse so what's the harm in experimenting and if it clearly doesn't work take off one player bring a full back on and resort back to the previous formation. For this season I've thought fullbacks have been fairly ineffective so this is something i'd try :)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

What you are saying to play a 3-5-2 is a good idea but the right side wingback could be the problem now the lad from Plymouth has gone. I think we have the players for 4-1-3-2 as we've got to change from the last couple of weeks as we are so weak in the middle.(Not good enough) :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

torkie_buoy wrote: Funny you should say that, I would just considering the prospect of a 3-5-2 formation. Gueguen I feel would be what i think is much needed height in midfield; the Wrexham game was a perfect example of how our current midfield can be cut through like butter. I do recall a Plymouth fan stating the danger of playing Young as a midfield two and I kind of think he was right. Youngy seems to make these blistering runs at players who dodge out the way and before you know it we've got one player up the other end of the pitch huffing and puffing to get back. With all do respect I see that Young is putting in a tremendous amount of effort and energy when doing this but he needs to learn fast that it leaves a hole in midfield. I would be looking at relieving Young of most of his defensive duties and try him out in more of a creative role behind the striker/s.

This is the sort of team I'd adopt (disregarding any injuries etc.) 3-5-2

Pearce - Macdonald - Downes
Chappell - Gueguen - Richards - Ajala
Young
Briscoe - Bowman/Campbell

I'm not saying this would work in any case whatsoever, but I think its getting to a point where it couldn't get any worse so what's the harm in experimenting and if it clearly doesn't work take off one player bring a full back on and resort back to the previous formation. For this season I've thought fullbacks have been fairly ineffective so this is something i'd try :)
Yes it's worth a try. :keepie:
torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Cameron

Post by torkie_buoy »

arcadia wrote:What you are saying to play a 3-5-2 is a good idea but the right side wingback could be the problem now the lad from Plymouth has gone. I think we have the players for 4-1-3-2 as we've got to change from the last couple of weeks as we are so weak in the middle.(Not good enough) :keepie:
Yes it certainly has been weaker since berry has left, however, I wouldn't mind giving the old 3-5-2 a go simply because teams like Juventus and Liverpool have managed to pull it off with players that are not naturally full backs. Take Lazar Markovic for example, 21, yet operates as a left wing who can fall back when needed to a 5-3-2. All I'm saying is the full backs haven't been effective at all so this is a way of eradicating them, and as you said I think it'd be worth a shot :) I can imagine 4-1-3-2 certainly would make a hardier midfield, however I do think we struggle upfront even with two so we could see even less goals. On the contrary, perhaps that midfield would make a more solid formation when moving forward and we could see more goals - who knows. All this being said, it all depends on whether firstly Hargreaves is brave enough to make changes such as these and secondly if he is humble enough to take the blame should those changes put us more in the sh1t. I can't see us being any worse with those formations though.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

He does not seem to want to start with Briscoe and I think that he would make Youngs game better because he would receive the ball in the forward position also the ball stays with Briscoe as his first touch is good.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

An experienced Non league manager who has a proven track record in finishing higher in whatever league than the budget he had to use. So Im not bothered about winning leagues, if you had double the playing budget on everyone else then you have an easier job to win a league. People seem to miss this point. So I would need any applicant to demonstrate with facts that they have finished above expectations.

I would NOT be swayed by any smooth talking bullshit at interview either.

Where did you finish in the league?
What budget did you have? (I would check whether the truth was told)
Why were you sacked? Look for bullshit here.
What players did you promote to the first team and subsequently went on to better things?
TUST MEMBER
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

In an interview when he was first appointed manager 14 months ago, CH presented his vision of expansive, passing, flowing football. A commendable ambition, if perhaps naive for a new manager in the lower divisions of football.

Today, in a preview of the Chester game, he admits the reality of the Conference: ‘A lot of the teams we’re playing are getting success by doing the ugly things and that’s the league we are in. We’re trying to do things that are sometimes a bit naive.’
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 26203.aspx

Of necessity working with young, mostly free-transfer, players, he also perhaps understands that these youngsters, who tend to get easily discouraged when something goes against them in a game, need older, experienced heads playing alongside them to instill a calmer but tougher, more determined, never-give-up approach into their collective subconscious. Perhaps the Guy Branston type of player. These older players will not work here for free. They cost money which is currently not available to the manager.

The current season will have been a massive learning experience for CH, and the squad will finish in a safe enough position, but it will be well into next season, following the summer’s activities, budget decisions, new signings, and any changes suggested by Kelvin Thomas, before we see a new direction and change in fortunes for the club and improvements in the team. In twelve months time we should be either seeing the beginnings of some new success or be able to confidently foresee a brighter future in 2016.

Until then, the only sensible thing for the club and supporters to do is to continue to fully support CH in the work he is doing.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Think tonight will be a real battle as they kicked lumps off us at their place.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I don't believe that CH is that stupid, naïve or thick NOT to have understood what the qualities required to get a good season in this league are. Most of us on here know. We have been here before and watched it, CH has played in it. So I don't agree he needed to learn this. I do think he under estimated how hard it is to motivate, communicate, control, organise and strategize a bunch of footballers.
TUST MEMBER
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

3 home games. 3 losses. 0 goals scored. Players are to blame, they can't be that bad surely ? :'(
The gulls are going up