Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Two players shared 13th spot, with it being the final position that saw two players joint. Starting with this man:

Joint 13th. Lee Mansell - 26 points

Time spent at club: 2006-2014
Gulls Appearances: 381
Gulls Goals: 24

Lee's career was in need of a kickstart before he moved to Plainmoor in the summer of 2006. His career began at Luton in 2000, staying there for five years. In that time he made just under 50 league appearances. He spent two months on loan at Nuneaton in 2003, making a handful of appearances. Upon leaving Luton, Manse joined Oxford United for a year, which ended with the U's being relegated to the Conference. He then made the move to Plainmoor, but I'm pretty confident in saying that no fans expected him to be a mainstay at the club for nigh on a decade. Manse was part of the side that was relegated in 2007, making it two successive relegations for the midfielder, who could also play at right back if needed.

He stayed at the club and featured under Paul Buckle at right back. Manse played a key role as the club returned to the Football League in 2009. In 2010, he was given the captaincy, taking over from Nicky Wroe. He held the armband until he left last year. Unfortunately for Manse and Torquay, a lot of fans felt that a clean break was needed for him and Kevin Nicholson, so things turned a bit sour towards the end of his stint at the Gulls. However, while there were bad times, there certainly have been good times, and it's only fair we remember those times aswell.

Manse moved to Bristol Rovers, where he holds the captains armband, and looks set for an instant return to the Football League with the Gas.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Not bad for a player who has managed to get relegated from the bottom division 3 times I suppose ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It'll be no shock to you all that he was on my list....

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sharing 13th spot with Lee Mansell is another man who featured for United in the late 1990's. It's…

Joint 13th. Andy Gurney - 26 points

Time spent at club: 1997-1999
Gulls Appearances: 80
Gulls Goals: 10

Andy Gurney began his career as a trainee at Bristol Rovers, going on to make 100 league starts for the Pirates between 1992 and 1997. He was released by Rovers in 1997, and after trials with Cardiff and Cambridge, he ended up joining Torquay, initially on a short-term contract. His performances earned him a new deal, and Gurney's wingback partnership with Paul Gibbs became one of the best wingback pairings in the division. The 97/98 season resulted in United missing out on promotion after losing the Playoff Final at Wembley.

In January 1999, Gurney moved to Reading for £100,000. He stayed at the Royals for two years, making 69 league appearances. Swindon got hold of the defender in 2001, and he went on to have a long spell with the Robins. Gurney had three spells at the County Ground, making well over 100 appearances for the Wiltshire side. His first spell lasted three years, before he moved to Swansea. Two years later, he was back on loan at Swindon, before making it permanent once again.

Gurney retired in 2006, and is currently manager of Weston Super Mare, in the Vanarama Conference South.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

But these are all journeymen! We had players a million times better in the fabulous days.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:But these are all journeymen! We had players a million times better in the fabulous days.
Absolute out and out rubbish, Wivel. I go back to the days of Mills, Shaw, Northcott, Collins etc etc. They're in my top ten and so is Andy Gurney. He was most certainly not a 'journeyman' as you scathingly describe him. Just look at his time with us and the clubs he played for after leaving Plainmoor. Gibbs and Gurney are the most exciting full back pairing I have ever seen at Plainmoor and were the bedrock of Kevin Hodges exciting side.

Okay, okay - I've risen to your bait. As much as I love the old days and the great players at Plainmoor during Frank O'Farrell's days when the old Cowshed literally rocked, there have been very good players since. Andy Gurney was one of them.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In 12th spot is a true hero of the last decade, and his names will be well remembered in the history books of the club. Unfortunately his time as manager is not going so well. It's…

12th. Chris Hargreaves - 28 points

Time spent at club: 2007-2010
Gulls Appearances: 121

Chris Hargreaves is a typical journeyman lower league footballer, but as a player he should always be remembered for his successful stint in TQ1. His career began at Grimsby, going on to have spells with Scarborough, Hull and West Brom. Chris then moved to Hereford initially on loan, before making it permanent 6 months later. After two years at Hereford, he moved to Devon with Plymouth Argyle, and stayed at Home Park for two years, making 76 league appearances.

In June 2000, Hargreaves moved to Northampton, where he made over 150 league appearances over four years. Upon leaving the Cobblers, a spell with Brentford followed. Soon after, Chris moved on again, this time to Oxford, making 66 starts over two seasons for the U's. In 2007, he was signed by Paul Buckle and made captain as Torquay sought a return to League football. This failed at first, with a Playoff Semi and an FA Trophy Final both ending in defeat. 12 months on though, Hargreaves scored a superb goal at Wembley to set United on their way back to League football. He only scored ten goals in a Torquay shirt but that was the biggest by a fair distance. Unfortunately, Chris was moved on 6 months later as he struggled with the step up to League football. He rejoined Oxford, and won promotion back to the league with them too, again via the playoffs.

Chris has stayed in the game, and is currently the man in charge at Torquay, but for how long, we just don't know. It is a huge shame that a ex-player has potentially tarnished his reputation by underachieving as manager at the club.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know there is the point that these type of things are only subjective and are open to debate, also there is the generation gap on here and also you can only vote for who you have seen, so great past players wont get as many votes as mediocre, bog standard, bang average , over-rated recent players, but for gods sake, Lee Mansell should not be anywhere near 13th place. I wouldnt even put him near the top 50 of players I have seen since 1987, let alone 13th in history. :no:

Andy Gurney was superb. That 97/98 team was superb, exciting, creative and fun to watch, typified by Gurney, Gibbs, Jack etc. Again, another team that really should have gone up, how the hell they blew that one I will never know, that day at Leyton Orient is probably the most inconsoloble I have ever been at a game of football and Im not ashamed to admit the tear in my eye. It is never underestimated the contribution made by our wing backs. Gurney was superb. Im a bit surprised he rated 11 places above Paul Gibbs because there wasnt that much between them, I think the fact that Gurney stayed longer and we got a fee for him compared to Gibbs leaving for Argyle on a free is what sets them apart in Gulls fans hearts possibly.

Chris Hargreaves, a real proper captain, gave 100%, a proper character, deserves a decent place on the list, possibly a bit high but still. I will always be grateful for that wembley goal.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Glad you see Andy Gurney as deserving to be up there with the best, Chunky. I'm still seething that Wivel described him as a journeyman !!!!!!!!!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In 11th place is a man I'm not surprised reached this high on the list. Unfortunately I think I just missed him in his hey-day. It's…

11. Jason Fowler - 30 points

Time spent at club: 2001-2005
Gulls Appearances: 107
Gulls Goals: 8

Jason Fowler's career began in 1993 with Bristol City. He stayed at the Ashton Gate club until 1996, before moving across the water to join Cardiff City. His spell at Cardiff was a successful one, making over 135 league starts for the Bluebirds. In 1999, Jason played a part as the club won promotion from Division 3. He found the net 20 times over five seasons in South Wales, staying at the club until 2001, when he was released. This was in part down to being diagnosed with an over-active thyroid problem.

In the winter of 2001, Jase moved to Plainmoor, looking for a fresh start. He went on to make over a century of appearances for United, with the 2002/03 campaign being his best-appeared, as he played in 44 games. He went on to feature over 30 times during the 2003/04 promotion campaign, though I must say I am surprised as I don't remember seeing him play that often. Unfortunately, things got worse for the midfielder as he discovered arthritis in his hip, forcing an early retirement in 2005.

Jason has since worked with the Cardiff youth academy.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:Sharing 13th spot with Lee Mansell is another man who featured for United in the late 1990's. It's…

Joint 13th. Andy Gurney - 26 points

Time spent at club: 1997-1999
Gulls Appearances: 80

Andy Gurney began his career as a trainee at Bristol Rovers, going on to make 100 league starts for the Pirates between 1992 and 1997. He was released by Rovers in 1997, and after trials with Cardiff and Cambridge, he ended up joining Torquay, initially on a short-term contract. His performances earned him a new deal, and Gurney's wingback partnership with Paul Gibbs became one of the best wingback pairings in the division. The 97/98 season resulted in United missing out on promotion after losing the Playoff Final at Wembley.

In January 1999, Gurney moved to Reading for £100,000. He stayed at the Royals for two years, making 69 league appearances. Swindon got hold of the defender in 2001, and he went on to have a long spell with the Robins. Gurney had three spells at the County Ground, making well over 100 appearances for the Wiltshire side. His first spell lasted three years, before he moved to Swansea. Two years later, he was back on loan at Swindon, before making it permanent once again.

Gurney retired in 2006, and is currently manager of Weston Super Mare, in the Vanarama Conference South.
Gurney left WSM a few years ago.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Wiki still has Andy Gurney at WSM, but I found this in the Bristol Post
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... PyDaavlJ0A
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

tomogull wrote:Glad you see Andy Gurney as deserving to be up there with the best, Chunky. I'm still seething that Wivel described him as a journeyman !!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, Gurney was top notch for us. Not in my top 10, but would be very, very close.

I was thinking about "that" game at Leyton Orient after mentioning it in my last post. Gurney was awesome in that game.

The last day of the season and we needed a point to get promoted, hoardes of Gulls fans in yellow and blue descended upon Londons east end anticipating our team to deliver. We really thought we had it. Orient had nothing to play for but the way they went at us and then defended with their lives you would have thought it was them going for promotion, the way they celebrated and also that pr1ck Raynor jogging the touchline trying to wind us up was galling. 0.2 down at half time, 2 goals from poor defending, although one was a superb finish, in the second half we really went on the attack but kept getting caught out on the break, poor old Kenny Veysey got sent off for handling outside his area. Up steps Andy Gurney and takes the keepers jersey. United really went for it, I have never seen us attack so much and so fiercely, the game was very exciting and either side could have scored loads. There was a few close shaves, goalmouth scrambles, penalty shouts, hitting the woodwork and hearts broken.

What stands out for me though in that game is Andy Gurney in goal, keeping a clean sheet against the odds, many times Gurney picked up or caught the ball and rolled it out to his feet and started bombing down the wing in his usual position, or every time we were on the attack there was Gurney bombing up the wing supporting and as soon as we lost the ball he went legging it back to goal, amazing sight. We lost 1-2, but that games stands out more for me than any other in 28 years of watching TUFC. Never been so gutted at a game of football. :'(

Super Jason Fowler, loved him as a player, one of the best technical footballers I have seen in my time supporting The Gulls, therefore making him one of my top 10 picks. A real joy to watch and formed probably the best midfield partnership I have seen with the fella I reckon will be in the top 3. Although personally I cant really separate them. Fowler came from a higher league and probably I reckon would have stayed there longer if it werent for fitness issues, likely we would never have got a player like that if he hadnt have had his problems which sadly then cut short his career.

I remember well the article in the Herald when they announced Jason Fowler's retirement through injury and its fitting in a week when the supposed average earnings of the team are spilled in a quote by the manager that I mention the quote at that time that Fowler made himself which stuck with me and memory serving it was something along the lines of how much he enjoyed his career and how was he going to find a job better than playing football for a living, working a couple of hours a day and getting paid £500 a week.

That was 10 years ago and I remember thinking bloody hell how much, at Torquay United league 2 level, thats outrageous. Now 10 years later we are going on about this £375 thing, which is frankly a b0ll0ck$ figure, but when you hear the sums being bandied about that some of our players have in recent times have been on, I would say they are scandalous when a player of Fowlers calibre was on £500 in comparison and some of these charlatans, jokers and chancers have been on double or even treble that.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Into the top 10 we go, and starting it off is a man who played for the club just after the Second World War. It's…

10. Don Mills - 32 points

Don began his career at his hometown club Maltby Main, before being signed by Queens Park Rangers in 1946. He spent five seasons with the London club, although some of that was spent on loan at Torquay United. In total, he made 86 league appearances for the R's. In his first spell at Plainmoor, Mills made 34 league appearances and found the net 13 times. Upon his contract ending, he moved on to Cardiff, but made just one appearance for the Bluebirds.

Don spent the 1951/52 campaign with giants Leeds United, again making 34 appearances but this time scoring just 9. After a year, Mills returned to Plainmoor on a permanent deal, and stayed at the club for a decade. In this time, the forward made over 300 appearances, scoring just under 70 goals. He left the club in 1962. In total, Don was incredibly close to reaching a century of league goals in his career, but ultimately fell one short.

Mills is one of the players that older generations of Gulls fans remember well, which suggests how good he was. Unfortunately, Don passed away in 1994.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Don Mills 10th! Never. We'll be seeing Robin outside the top three next.