Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

maybe you should run the poll again Plymouth ! Everybody's waking up & smelling the coffee !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Into the top 6 then, and this man was one of my favourite players I've seen in a United shirt, even though he was only here for a season. The best goalkeeper I've seen at Torquay United, it's…

6. Bobby Olejnik - 100 points

Time spent at club: 2011-2012
Gulls Appearances: 52
Gulls Goals: 0

Big Bobby played a huge role as United nearly reached the third tier of English Football in 2012. His career began at Aston Villa as a youngster, having a loan spell at Lincoln in 2007, before leaving Villa Park for Falkirk two months later. Olejnik stayed at Falkirk for four seasons, which involved playing regularly in the top flight of Scottish football for some time. In total he started over 100 league games for the Scottish outfit, leaving in the summer of 2011 to join Torquay under Martin Ling.

It was an unusual one, but he won the fans over with some superb performances early doors. By the end of the season, United had kept an incredible 20 clean sheets, but unfortunately a blip through April ensured the club dropped into the playoffs - denied by a 95th minute goal from Crewe's Nick Powell which saw United drop back behind Crawley on goal difference - something they weren't able to make up on the final day of the season. In the playoffs, Cheltenham beat us twice to ensure another season in League 2.

It proved too difficult to keep Bobby at the club, and he moved to Peterborough for a mooted £300,000, although it is believed some of that didn't materialise as it was in future payments. After starting regularly at Posh, I am sad to say his career has nosedived somewhat - he is still signed on at London Road but his contract expires this summer, and having spent much of this season on loan at Scunthorpe and now York, it would not be a surprise to see him seeking a new club (come back!).
Sam97_
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Verma

Post by Sam97_ »

Incredible keeper, the standard of which I doubt we'll see at plainmoor for a very long time! Must say, I thought he'd make the top five! Although I do think the top three will be Kevin Hill, Alex Russell, and Eunan O'Kane; order as you please. Although, I can't complain with anything, as I never got round to voting! (Something I must do on May 7th!).

And a footnote to PlymouthGull, what an excellent idea this was, thoroughly enjoyed it, and has taken away the chore of reading through the regular tripe on this board!
Keep the faith.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm going to continue the backlash, I'm afraid. I re-iterate that Mr. Plymouth has done an excellent job - but Robin 7th! Absolutely ridiculous! I've watched TUFC since the end of the 62-63 season and there's no-one to compare with Robin.
Of course, I didn't vote (mea culpa) so my backlash is necessarily a feeble one, but even so...7th!!
Perhaps the voting system could have been different (i.e. done by age group) but that's a small quibble. As only 30 voted then the result doesn't really reflect the overall TUFC history - but 7th!! Come on!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sitting just inside the top 5 is another key component of that near-promotion season three years ago (how times change!). This man was one of the most enjoyable players I've watched in a Torquay shirt on his day, so no surprise to see him in the top 5. It's…

5. Eunan O'Kane - 102 points

Time spent at club: 2010-2012
Gulls Appearances: 122
Gulls Goals: 14

Eunan began his career as a trainee at Everton before being released in 2009, being deemed as 'too small' if memory serves me well. Not completely downhearted, Eunan returned to Northern Ireland with Coleraine, and made an impression in the top division of his home country. In late 2009 he came to Torquay for a trial, and did enough to earn a short term contract, starting in January 2010. He scored his first goal at the end of that season in a 3-1 win at Darlington, as United's form saw them escape a relegation battle in the final months of the season.

He earned a two year deal, and from then on, his rate of progression was astonishing. In 2011/12 it took some time for Paul Buckle to find his best position, and so he interchanged between being played out wide and in the middle. He found the net five times as the club reached the playoffs, and Eunan scored the second goal in the first leg against Shrewsbury, as United reached Old Trafford. The following year, the club kept hold of Eunan and Martin Ling saw his potential as an attacking midfielder. It was this season that O'Kane really came to fruition, scoring two superb finishes in a Devon derby win over Plymouth at Plainmoor - I doubt anyone there has forgotten his 40 yard lob, I certainly haven't! Once again, the season ended in playoff disappointment, and Eunan eventually moved on to Bournemouth for £175,000.

He has been a regular since moving to the Cherries, playing regularly in League One and then the Championship. Unfortunately it seems that, with AFCB on the cusp of the Premier League, Eunan has had to settle for being a back up player this campaign, but should he look to move on I am in no doubt he will go to another side in the Championship. At 24, he still has plenty of time to make an impact in the top two tiers in England, aswell as on the International scene.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

A few years ago we Had Eunan and Nicky Wroe in the middle.
Now we have Courtney Richards and a captain who is banned as much as he isn't.
Sigh.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:I'm going to continue the backlash, I'm afraid. I re-iterate that Mr. Plymouth has done an excellent job - but Robin 7th! Absolutely ridiculous! I've watched TUFC since the end of the 62-63 season and there's no-one to compare with Robin.
Of course, I didn't vote (mea culpa) so my backlash is necessarily a feeble one, but even so...7th!!
Perhaps the voting system could have been different (i.e. done by age group) but that's a small quibble. As only 30 voted then the result doesn't really reflect the overall TUFC history - but 7th!! Come on!!
There are more than enough people that are regular posters on this forum that are old enough to have seen Robin play - if ALL of them had voted he may have been higher up the list.

With all due respect, it's a list drawn up from a few fans on an internet forum - I'm sure if this had been done on a much wider scale (by the club for eg), Mr Stubbs would be top of the list, or much closer to it in any case.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote: There are more than enough people that are regular posters on this forum that are old enough to have seen Robin play - if ALL of them had voted he may have been higher up the list.

With all due respect, it's a list drawn up from a few fans on an internet forum - I'm sure if this had been done on a much wider scale (by the club for eg), Mr Stubbs would be top of the list, or much closer to it in any case.
He wasn't number 1 on my list and I did see him play and did vote.

He did deserve his number 2 spot in my list though.

I often wonder what he is thinking about it all when I see him up at Plainmoor. Probably nothing that could be put into print! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Bobby was second on my list, and Eunan first. I also had Mr Sills on mine, but still a few of mine yet to make it up here.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Although I like this thread very much, it makes me sad to see the amount of activity on the past. It suggests that all we have is history, no future, or perhaps I am just generally very down about the team that I love.
Steveb
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Steveb »

Hi. First time I have posted, although I have followed the forum for years.
While I can understand the point of view that it is a pity there appears to be more interest in this thread than most of those concerning the present set-up, I have actually found it to be a really positive thIng in that it reminds me of the many good times I have had supporting United since 1974. The most important thing going forward is that we still have a club to support, and, although I am livid about the many avoidable errors which have led to us losing our league status, if our future is as a decent, solvent non-league community club then I can reconcile myself to that. That said, I have considerable doubts that the current board members are even capable of delivering that when Thea leaves them to it.
Thanks again to Plymouth Gull for this brilliant thread. Wish I had organised myself to vote. Too lazy to scroll all the way back through now, but surely Ian Twitchin should be in there somewhere. Could do with a few like him now!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Steveb wrote: Thanks again to Plymouth Gull for this brilliant thread. Wish I had organised myself to vote. Too lazy to scroll all the way back through now, but surely Ian Twitchin should be in there somewhere. Could do with a few like him now!
Unfortunately Ian Twitchin is not there and looking at Robin Stubbs being at number 7 I am certain he will not appear now.

You are right though, a deserving case. He was in my thinking but did not make my list of 10 which included 8 I have seen since starting to watch in 1963 and 2 pre-1963 who I felt could not be left out (Sam Collins club record scorer and Don Mills all time most talented player to pull on a Torquay shirt). So difficult trying to list just 10 from over 50 seasons of watching and to also include a couple from before that.

Very interesting thread though and I hope Plymouth Gull follows up as he has threatened with a 'top 50 matches' thread.

I am sure none from the past 2 seasons will feature! ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Maybe a summer project to keep the board ticking along, Stefano. I am undecided yet.

Anyway, 4th place on the list sees a man who, while perhaps not the most technically gifted, deserves a place this high on the list in my mind. One of the last true United greats in my book, it's…

4. Kevin Hill - 119 points

Time spent at club: 1997-2008
Gulls Appearances: 474
Gulls Goals: 57

The last true one-club man we've had, is Mr Kevin Hill. Signed in 1997 from Torrington FC, not many would have thought that eleven years later he would break the clubs appearance record. His debut for United came in August 1997, as we lost 2-1 at Macclesfield in their first ever league match. Kev went on to be a regular for the majority of the next decade. In 2000/01, he finished as the clubs top scorer, including scoring at Underhill on that dramatic final day. Hill also played a key role in the promotion under Leroy Rosenior three years later.

Kev remained a regular in the Gulls XI, making his 400th appearance in a goalless draw with Bury in February 2006. A year later we were relegated to the depths on non-league football, and it was only that year that Kevin wasn't a fixture in the United line up. He managed just 13 appearances under Paul Buckle, but broke the appearance record at the back end of the year. He scored in the home leg of the Playoffs to put us 3-1 up against Exeter, but we all know what happened there. Then four days later, Hilly broke the club record, coming on as a substitute at Wembley in the FA Trophy Final, as United went down 1-0 to Ebbsfleet.

For me, Kev will be remembered for his jumping ability - I still haven't seen anyone challenge the size of his jump! His goal against Exeter was the best part of what turned into an awful day, and I won't forget the 'hide behind the keeper' goal we saw him execute against Stockport in 2006. A true legend, Kevin Hill was probably the last of his type we'll see at Plainmoor for a long time.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

When you consider the issue that people have highlighted: legends not getting high enough up the list because people didn't see them play. There is a real argument, that Kevin Hill should have won this, purely because he fits the criteria of being a legend and being a modern(ish) member of the squad.

As an exile gull I never get to see the Gulls play as much as I would like, but I never failed to be impressed with the workrate Hilly put in. He earned the respect he got from the fans, year after year. Never scared of jumping or challenging with a big lad - and would almost always win. There was no decline in his performances when buckle dropped him from the team, it just seemed that he wasn't his favourite player.

Scored that wonderful overhead goal and the already-mentioned ninja goal. Absolute legend in the Barnet game, covering every blade of grass.

I always admire how the older generation talk about past players and how good they were and servants to the club. I look forward to doing the same about the record appearance maker in years to come. Like the top scorer record, i don't think it'll ever be beaten.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Kevin Hill, surely the last Torquay player to come close to legend status. Not the most gifted but effort effort effort. Loved him for that. I have previously mentioned the unforgettable goal Tim Sills scored at Wembley. OK then how about Kevins header from a Kaffor cross at Carlilse in 2006. Any Gulls fan behind the goal with never forget it. I can see it exactly now. An absolute beauty. We all went beserk. A great goal in a truly memorable game. A game that must surely rank in the top 3. So glad I made the trip.