Should TUST be targeting the TORQUAY community ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Should TUST be targeting the TORQUAY community ...

Post by CP Gull »

.... or should they focus their efforts more on the TORQUAY UNITED community?

It may seem a daft point, but hear me out!

Just watching the TUST video last night (I couldn't attend) and remembering this comment on this forum from Neal ....
Neal wrote:Does anyone on this forum actually live in Torbay?
... really got me thinking. It really is quite an important question I think as I guess what Neal is hinting at is that quite possibly the vast majority of active members on this site don't live in Torquay or the Torbay area - they are quite literally flung far and wide.

Speaking personally, I haven't actually lived in Torquay for the last 20 odd years - Teignbridge these days - but having done some research on the family tree a while back I can trace my ancestors back to living in the South Devon area for nigh on the last 200 years - before that they came from foreign lands .... well Cornwall, to be precise!

Anyway, my point is, that whilst I am by no means unique, I would imagine that the number of people currently living in the Torquay area with "roots" in the area stretching back hundreds of years is not that commonplace.

I am no demographics expert and I have done no research at all on the subject but my instincts tell me that the "make up" of the Torbay "community" these days is very diverse. A lot of families living in the area may not have been born here, or if they were their parents or grand parents may not have been. They chose, at some point in their lives to move here - stereotypically from the vast conurbations in the Midlands, the North West etc - there was also, and I presume still is - quite a large Glaswegian "community" living in the Bay as well.

The point is that because these people at some time in their lives chose to live "in a nice place by the sea" whilst they now live in the community - how much of a part of it do they really feel?

I ask the question, because I was chatting with my brother (another avid TUFC fan) the other day and he happened to mention that a good mate of his, who he doesn't see quite so often these days, who I recall was a regular visitor to Plainmoor throughout his 20s (1980s) had paid a surprise visit to TUFC to attend a game recently, unbeknown to my brother. The last time I can recall this friend visiting Plainmoor was sadly when he was "locked out" of the Crawley FA Cup game - how damaging that was to his affection towards TUFC I don't really know but the point is this. This guy has lived in Torquay since he was a young kid, his family moved down here from Manchester when he was 10 or 11 I think - and despite the fact that he has visited Plainmoor quite literally hundreds of times more over the years than he has ever visited Old Trafford and the Theatre of Dreams he is, was and always will be a Man United fan in his heart. So it didn't really come as any great surprise to me that his recent "visit" (and quite possibly his last) to Plainmoor was, of course, stood in the FCUM end! :(

So, part of the problem as it strikes me is that for a lot of people living in this area they may love living here but how much do they really feel part of the "local" community particularly when it comes to providing support to it's local football team - perhaps if we had of enjoyed more success over the years it would have been easier to convert some of these "in comers" ... maybe, maybe not, who knows? But you only have to look around the local schools and clubs and on the streets of Torbay - trying to spot a kid in a TUFC replica shirt is difficult. These days it's not even just the Man Us, Liverpools, Chelsea's, Spurs' and Arsenals either - there are plenty more Barcelonas and Real Madrids too!

Of course, another consequence of being born in Torbay and the surrounding area is that when the time comes to leave secondary school the realisation hits home that if you want to pursue further education or a career in your chosen field, for the vast majority of young adults, not all of course, but a large percentage I would guess - have no option but to move away from the area, very often never to return.

Any travelling fan of TUFC will be all too aware of the fact that our away following - which for many years now has been disproportionately high in numbers in relation to our home support - is regularly boosted (very often more than half the crowd) by "exiles" living in London and the South/South East or the North and North West - in fact pretty much all over the UK it seems, depending on what part of the country we are playing in at the time.

Anyway, I am rambling a bit here but what I am trying to convey is that actually if TUST is serious in trying to reach out to the Torquay " community" I am not convinced that they will really find the level of support they might expect - simply because, and I have absolutely no problem with it at all by the way, that many who live here don't necessarily feel as much attachment to the area as they do to the areas they were born in, or their parents or even grandparents hail from. I should add that this is most certainly not the case of all of those that come to live and settle here - Michael Goulbourne, the driving force behind TUST is himself from the Birmingham(?) area I believe.

So, if TUST are planning their next move to get the "community" behind them I just hope they target the right places. By that,without meaning to be disrespectful, but by say for example mass leafleting/canvassing the TQ1 area for wider support for membership and/or support of their proposals they may ( they may not, of course) be disappointed with the response. Personally, I would think their efforts may be better spent really working closely with all THREE of the fans forums (to be fair the communication has been excellent thus far) and the wider social media: Facebook, Twitter etc to really get their message across to the TUFC community, rather than the Torquay community.

The TUST also need to get the local media on board as well. Listening to the Herald a Express podcast last night I was rather surprised, given his prominent position, that Dave Thomas seemed rather taken aback when the TUST representative spoke of their plans. It appears Dave still looks upon the TUST as nothing more than a glorified Supprters Club who might be able to "chip in" with help when it comes to buying a player, a piece of equipment or whatever, now and then. Dave seemed to accept the idea of them having a voice on the Board - but he seemed struggle with the idea that the TUST don"t just want a place on the Board, they want to be THE Board! It seemed to come as a bit of a shock to Dave that that is indeed their intention and has been for several weeks now since Thea made her announcement - it just seems to have bypassed the TUFC reporter at the Herald Express! I do agree with him though, when he was clearly trying to get his head around the idea of TUST taking over the running of the football club within such a tight timeframe, as we know Thea wants out by the end of June and so time is very much against them.

Of course, like most of us on here, my hope is that there is still some rich benefactor out there, with the club at heart, who is going to come in and really take the club forward. In fact, provided it was beneficial to the club, I wouldn't even have a problem with the club selling off Plainmoor and moving elsewhere (the Willows?) if it meant that we ended up with a more sustainable, self sufficient club which didn't have to rely quite so much on outside investment just to survive.

But, as each day passes, it seems increasingly unlikely that there is anyone out there, biting Thea's hand off to take over. It seems, most likely then that we are left with just two options as things stand. Either we get fully behind the TUST, who have certainly got off to a good start judging by the energy and enthusiasm they have shown for the project so far and by the quality of people they have already brought on board OR ... we are left with what remains of the existing Board, or at least those that still want to be involved in the post Bristow era.

There has been some talk of the existing Board seeking out and finding some additional outside investment. What is not clear, is whether or not there is ANY appetite from the existing Directors ( or more accurately those that remain) to plough any more of their own money into the club - my instinct tells me that they might be reluctant to do this, I hope I am wrong! Of course any "outside" investment they can attract might help in the short term, but in reality unless it is really substantial ( unlikely) it is only likely to be a short term fix and is unlikely to make much, if any, real impact on the medium to long term future of the club.

So TUST or Existing Board (+ maybe a few extra £££) seem to be the only options on the table at the moment. Given the decline of the football club over the past few seasons under the current leadership, I am not confident of an uplift in our fortunes if we effectively maintain the status quo! So, whilst I am not a huge fan of trust based ownership - the TUST and Supporters Direct would tell you that it doesn't work for every football club and certainly not the higher up the Leagues you go, least ways not in this country it seems - personally I am leaning towards them as our best, if not only, option.

Anyway, back to the TUST meeting on Wednesday night and my earlier point, the Supporters Direct representative who spoke at the meeting last night made mention of how not just the supporters of the likes of Exeter City and Wrexham really got behind their supporters trust but that they actually found great support for the club in the wider community. I would love to find that is the case with TUFC, really love to find that is the case, but I suspect rather cynically I suppose, that that won't be the case. :(

With not only the football club in Torquay at it's lowest ebb in it's history, same with the rugby club and I guess pretty much the same with the cricket club too - it really would be a tragedy if we lost all of these clubs for future generations of kids growing up in this area. The lack of support, for all three clubs in the area is often put down to the "apathy"of the local community and perhaps that is true in part - after all for most people who choose to live in this beautiful area it is often a "lifestyle" choice - but I think that there is more to it than that, for some of the reasons outlined above and of course, being "a nice place to live by the sea" it is inevitably a magnet for those people whose working lives have ended and who just want to "put their feet up"... and you can't really blame them either!

It really is a desperate time for local sport in the area and with the local council seemingly unwilling and/or unable to offer any sort of tangible support - the sort of support which is far more forthcoming in other areas - you only have to look 30 odd miles down the A38 to see how some support their local football teams - it really is time for the community to stand up and have their voices heard not only, I might add, about the state of our local sports clubs but also the (still after all these years!!!) appalling sports facilities (with just a few notable exceptions) in the area! :@

Desperate times ....

One final point (promise!) I do think that anyone who feels any affection towards TUFC should seriously consider joint TUST as unless something happens very soon I get the feeling as though the club is lurching towards a real crisis point. At what just £24 a year (more if you want!) it represents little more than the cost of a home game entrance admission, particularly if you throw in a pie, a pint, a programme and petrol. In fact if money is an issue and you were thinking of going to one of the last three home games ... why not even give one a miss and instead pay your subs direct to the TUST instead. I have a feeling that any money directed towards them now is going to be much more important than turning up and supporting our team in a meaningless end of season kick about!
Last edited by CP Gull on 11 Apr 2015, 11:47, edited 2 times in total.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Come on then who is going to be the first on here to do that "thing" that someone once did to Austrian Andy Gull - can't remember what it was - after a particularly long post! :lol:

Apologies for the length of my post but these days I prefer to save my energy for a lot in one go rather than little and often .... must be an age thing! ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

CP Gull wrote:Come on then who is going to be the first on here to do that "thing" that someone once did to Austrian Andy Gull - can't remember what it was - after a particularly long post! :lol:

Apologies for the length of my post but these days I prefer to save my energy for a lot in one go rather than little and often .... must be an age thing! ;-)
tl;dr

I read it though ;-)
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just read it too :)

Im my opinion its yes.

If there are 1500 people who will go whatever, and it does seem so, then its worth trying to save.

I think the bay would be a lesser place without some professional sport actually
TUST MEMBER
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I actually think the Tust have gone in too low with £2 a month. Is that a standard price? It will be interesting to see how many of the 200 or so members would be willing to pay more each month as £2 really is nothing. I certainly don't think it's the price that is putting off other fans from joining. I'd be prepared to pay £10 a month - possibly even more - if other members did the same. If 200 members did that then it's the equivalent of having 1,000 fans paying £2 if that makes sense.

Every person on this forum is a fan so I really don't understand why they wouldn't join. They moan and complain but when the opportunity comes about to actually try and change things and have a say on the future of the club they don't want to know.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

tommyg wrote:I actually think the Tust have gone in too low with £2 a month. Is that a standard price? It will be interesting to see how many of the 200 or so members would be willing to pay more each month as £2 really is nothing. I certainly don't think it's the price that is putting off other fans from joining. I'd be prepared to pay £10 a month - possibly even more - if other members did the same. If 200 members did that then it's the equivalent of having 1,000 fans paying £2 if that makes sense.

Every person on this forum is a fan so I really don't understand why they wouldn't join. They moan and complain but when the opportunity comes about to actually try and change things and have a say on the future of the club they don't want to know.
1938 members on this site apparently. I guess not all active and not all Gulls fans but still, you would think there were more Gulls fans in the world than 200 and like you say, even for the lowest earners or retirees, out of work peeps, six and a half pennies a-day should be achievable.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I think the £2 a month is a minimum but understandably is probably what most choose to contribute at this time.

What I would hope for in time is some sort of membership scheme, an expansion of the scheme first mooted by Portugull (?) I think it was whereby rather buy season tickets at a fixed price there are a comprehensive range of packages available for every type of fan, from those that maybe in exile and just want to make a contribution whilst not being able to attend on a regular basis to those that want the full works - with access to corporate boxes, number 10s, discounts in club shop, etc etc.

I believe also that in time the TUST may roll out a share ownership scheme which would raise funds over and above the membership subs - whilst still sticking to the principle of one man, one vote that is the very ethos of a trust owned club.

Like Alan Robinson said, what the TUST is proposing is moving away from being CUSTOMERS of TUFC to being fully paid up MEMBERS.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Of the basic 1500 or so home attendances, half of that figure probably represents people who cannot afford to attend every home game and who watch games less frequently, perhaps every month or every quarter. In other words, the number of people with more than a passing interest in the club is greater than might be supposed, but many of them could afford to pay only a basic subscription to TUST.

For them, £2 a month is probably affordable, but many more supporters could afford, and would wish to pay, much more, perhaps £5 or £10 a month. There is no reason why they shouldn't do so, but to encourage them, one possible idea could be to have different grades of membership, e.g. juvenile member, associate member, full member, privileged member, etc., available at different rates.

Similarly, the number of people (both locally and nationally) willing to invest in the form of shares when these are offered may be greater than a somewhat cynical CP Gull might think. I believe the key to success in such a scheme is publicity, combined with enthusiasm and activism.

So come on folks, if you care about the future of Torquay United football club, join up, start banging the drum and spread the word..!!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Of course we should be targeting those further afield, but it's very difficult to do that now when the TUST is consumed by working on a coherent bid for community ownership and presenting that to its members.

Hopefully, as a proper plan is presented or even when TUST acquire control of the club, this should mean that exiles are MORE likely to join than some sort of supporters club. If TUST owns the club,that means any member either in Torquay or Thailand has the same rights and actually owns the club. If exiles want a connection,there is none better than the trust!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gullscorer wrote:Of the basic 1500 or so home attendances, half of that figure probably represents people who cannot afford to attend every home game and who watch games less frequently, perhaps every month or every quarter. In other words, the number of people with more than a passing interest in the club is greater than might be supposed, but many of them could afford to pay only a basic subscription to TUST.

For them, £2 a month is affordable, but many more supporters could afford, and would wish to pay, much more, perhaps £5 or £10 a month. There is no reason why they shouldn't do so, but to encourage them, one possible idea could be to have different grades of membership, e.g. associate member, full member, privileged member, etc., available at different rates.

Similarly, the number of people (both locally and nationally) willing to invest in the form of shares when these are offered may be greater than a somewhat cynical CP Gull might think. I believe the key to success in such a scheme is publicity, combined with enthusiasm and activism.

So come on folks, join up, start banging the drum and spread the word..!!
The problem with that is it has to keep the principle of one member, one vote. I think the idea of allowing people to pay more if they want to though is a good idea. Political parties do the same - everyone has the same standing but you pay what you can afford above a minimum set donation.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:
Similarly, the number of people (both locally and nationally) willing to invest in the form of shares when these are offered may be greater than a somewhat cynical CP Gull might think.
Not sure where you got that idea from Gullscorer - certainly not from anything I have posted on this thread! All I actually said was, to inform people, that a way of raising funds over and above membership subs would be via a share issue. I would hope and expect this to be of considerable interest to TUFC fans locally, nationally and even globally ... so hardly being cynical!

The only aspect of my original post that related to my being cynical was the level of interest within the TQ1 postcode vicinity as I am not convinced that there is as much interest in TUFC in the Bay as some people might think. My suggestion is that what limited resources that are available to promote the TUST and its aims might be better served on targeting the TUFC fans in the WIDER community and not spent on stuffing leaflets through the doors of people that just happen to be living in Torquay at this time.

Hope that clears things up. :)
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

To be fair you can go to any town in the country and find kids wearing shirts from the successful clubs. Kids want to be winners, there's nothing wrong with that, but unless results on the pitch improve, the numbers of people attending or showing interest in TUFC will never rise. At the last home game there was a group of 12-14 year old kids near me on the popside and throughout the whole of the half I stood near them they were mucking about chatting and doing everything but watch the game. If we'd be playing well, they just might have watched what they had turned up to see.

200 members of the TUST is low but I'm sure numbers will improve. How much they improve will depend on progress on the pitch.

I have been a ST holder for a number of years and haven't lived in South Devon for 12 years but United will always be my club. I can go and watch football anywhere but it's always United's result I look for first above all others. Last season I came very close to buying a ST elsewhere because I'd had enough of travelling down and watching pitiful performances. Somebody else bought my ST for this season (I haven't forgiven them yet) so I have spent another season turning up and watching more dross. I have no interest in buying one for next season so, at the moment, the club will lose money unless something drastic happens that makes me think it's worth spending every other Saturday heading down the M5.

Interest in the club, membership of the TUST and home attendances will only improve if the product on offer improves.

You can target anywhere you like for members but you have to have a successful product on offer to attract people.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As usual an interesting and thought provoking post from Chris - I am in awe judging from the time of the post if it was in the middle of the night! I don't live in the Bay anymore in fact not for over 40 years but I am drawn by some invisible thread to home matches on a regular basis.
Over the 50 years I've been a supporter I have witnessed increased crowds when the team is playing well or there's an attractive higher league team at Plainmoor in a cup match. So yes Burnham Gull has a point when saying there has to be a successful product for people to support but these are now not normal times. Like having a sick relative family get together to rally round. Now the 'sick relative' is TUFC.
For me I'd rather have a team to support regardless of its success or not than no team at all. It is now that those 'missing' fans who have watched the team over the years join TUST as at the very least we, the fans, can have a voice on the Board. With more members and therefore greater financial clout this could be more than just representation.
A point I would like to make is that our situation is not unique. Currently the following non-league clubs are at various stages of joining the 22 supporter owned Non-League clubs in the English pyramid:Banbury United, Bath City, Chelmsford City, Dulwich Hamlet, Dorchester Town and Worcester City. Starting tomorrow from April 11th to 18th Supporters Direct are celebrating the first UK wide Supporter Ownership week. Surely this is the time to jump on board and get more members for TUST.
I joined in early March and was amazed to find out I was member No 97 and at the low cost of only £2 a month. For all those who read this and so by definition must be Torquay fans JOIN up today and help ensure we will still have a team to follow.
WillowsGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by WillowsGull »

Great original post, summed it up perfectly! About time I signed up really...
WillowsGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by WillowsGull »

Also, how about getting the local business community to join up? There is a real benefit to our area of having a football team and £2 a month for a business is a no-brainer especially if the TUST promotes who is supporting it.