TUST

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

The TUST have done brilliantly over the last few months to galvanise and get together. I have joined and will stay a member no matter what the outcome of the current bid is.

It's a shame it's taken the current situation for the TUST to be resurrected - hopefully it can continue regardless of new owners. A healthy supporters trust can only be a good thing for the club, and hopefully the new owner will be willing to work closely as a partnership in one form or another.
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eric Webber

Post by Webber »

There's a story on the Western Morning News website under the headline of "Supporters' Trust invites new Torquay United owners to create community club"

This sees TUST floating the idea of a more community-facing Torquay United at the heart of local life.

TUST is claiming it has a sense that, if the club followed a broader community strategy, there would be plenty of local people who would back and participate in such an objective.

This optimism is based upon TUST being encouraged by how much interest has been expressed in its community plans. Interested parties range from local schools through to Torquay United's women’s team and the Inspirations team for people with disabilities.

Ultimately, TUST believes in the vision of Torquay United at the pinnacle of the local sporting community. If this were to happen, the anticipation is that far more people would be brought on board than are currently supporting the team.

This issue of "community" is one TUST will continue to promote. Supporters, of course, may have mixed views about this. There will be those who will welcome the idea. Others may be sceptical and worry about attention being diverted from the first team.

TUST's "pro" argument is that increased interest, and and a stronger all-round community identity, can only be good for Torquay United. This would attract more people through the gate as well as boost other revenue. The club could then employ the extra income to boost the first team as well as developing its community activities.
RoadGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reg Wyatt

Post by RoadGull »

One thing with regarding making the club more accessible to the community is just that - accessibility!

I find it very hard walking far these days and driving at night will soon become a non-option for me. There is no easy parking for people like myself, nor is there a bus stop very close to the main entrance, so I often struggle to get to matches now.
In the 'good old days' there used to be a fleet of buses parked up in Marnham Road going to various location, including my home town of Brixham. Sadly now it is quite a marathon for me to get to Plainmoor by bus involving changing at least once.
Driving is the other option, but as I said, parking close to the ground then becomes a problem.

I realise that space is limited - but maybe on matchdays some agreement could be made for disabled parking on the open space next to the swimming pool - just for a couple of hours?

Probably not a major concern for most people, but for the elderly fans of which there a quite a few, it is a serious concern.

Thanks.
withawhy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by withawhy »

RoadGull,

You make a very good point - and one that I hope that the TUST mught be able to help with and have some input - but it will, of course, depend on the attitude of the new owner(s).
RoadGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reg Wyatt

Post by RoadGull »

Thank you withawhy.
I appreciate that the Supporters Trust is probably looking at recruiting the younger element of fan to Plainmoor now as they are the fans of the future, but they too will get old one day, so my today is there tomorrow if you see what I mean!
Plus, if you look around the ground at most home matches, many of the crowd are made up of us senior citizens.
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Webber »

Roadgull is spot on when he says TUST needs more younger members.

But, actually, it needs more members of ANY age. TUST will work best by being as true a reflection as possible of the people who follow the club.

I suspect TUST will go through several phases in a short period of time.

When Michael Goulbourne set out to restore the supporters trust before Christmas, my impression was that the first twelve months would be tentative.

Instead, after not much than four months, TUST found itself being offered the option of bidding for the club.

Now, with a possible deal on the horizon, TUST's attentions are likely to turn to working with the new owners.

This could see TUST acquiring shares in Torquay United and/or places on the board.

Or not.

Either way, this phase may be over relatively quickly. Then, whether it has shares in the club or not, TUST will need to settle down into a role. This won't stop it campaigning.

But TUST will need to become a "doing" trust if it is to have worth or credibility. Looking for ideas and suggestions - just like RoadGull's - will surely be a major part of that process.
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Webber »

With the Macclesfield game kicking-off next Saturday at 5.15pm, TUST has arranged a meeting in Boots and Laces between 3.30pm and 4.30pm.

This is for members and non-members.

Members are asked to bring their membership cards because TUST needs to carry out a second ballot to ratify its new rules. This will be done on Saturday and requires the votes of at least twenty members.

The "main event" will be a review of recent developments and a chance to look ahead. This is an opportunity for questions, answers and ideas.

It'll be interesting to see what this week brings. TUST can't speculate about the identity of the new owners nor how long the next stage of the process will take. It would, of course, allow TUST to more easily plan ahead (and possibly report on fresh developments) if more is known in time for next Saturday. You'll need to bear with us with this but the chance of having a meeting before the end of the season seemed too good an opportunity to miss. You'll be most welcome.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Can anyone involved let me know exactly where this meeting is? When you say boots and laces do you mean the actual pub, or number 10s? Or the gulls nest even.

Thanks.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Kit_robin wrote:Can anyone involved let me know exactly where this meeting is? When you say boots and laces do you mean the actual pub, or number 10s? Or the gulls nest even.

Thanks.
The meeting will be in the back-room of the pub.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

I'll have my 8 year-old with me...do they allow kids in Boots & Laces please ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

taxilady wrote:I'll have my 8 year-old with me...do they allow kids in Boots & Laces please ?
They always used to let kids in the back room on match days, although as a Union dweller I can't say I've been up to boots pre-match recently. Would be surprised if they didn't, though.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Yes-they are allowed in the back room.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Thanks...never been in Boots ! She's been in the Gulls' Nest a few times though.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Webber »

Thank you to previous posters who have clarified that Saturday's TUST meeting will take place in the back room of Boots & Laces from 3.30pm onwards.

The meeting is for members and non-members alike.

Members are asked to bring membership cards so they can vote on the approval of TUST's new rules.

The meeting will start with a review of what's been happening.

This will be followed by TUST's officers outlining the ideas they have for the future direction of the trust.

There will then be an opportunity for everyone present to ask questions and - most importantly - add their own suggestions as to how TUST should now progress. Nothing is cast in stone at this stage!

The intention is to finish by 4.30pm. We hope to see you there.
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Webber »

There's a story on the Western Morning News website under the heading "Torquay United Supporters Trust want to become permanent fixture at Plainmoor":

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Tor ... 7A3KYdD.99

This reports on last Saturday's meeting and brings people up-to-date with TUST's latest position and plans.

It also introduces the idea that TUST intends to go about raising funds in a separate fashion aside from membership subscriptions.

This would be through the Forever Yellow Fund, details of which will be released shortly. The intention here is to put TUST on a firmer footing should the opportunity ever arise to bid for the ownership of Torquay United.