Kit

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

samuel wrote:Is it compulsory we have a different away kit - something in the league rules?
I suspect it's all to do with marketing as usual. Got to keep the tills ringing.
I agree though, it's pointless to have a change strip unless there's a clash with the home team in my opinion.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

hector wrote:Yes - the 88/89 white kit wasn't a thing of beauty, with that strange yellow bib - although it was probably the first replica shirt I ever bought - I might dig it out for a game this season, while I think of it.

We wore white for 8 years from 1974 - 1982 plus the season 88/89, so my earliest memories of TUFC and my early seasons were with us wearing white. When we changed to yellow and blue, for Bruce Rioch's first season as manager, it did feel strange at the time.

That whole era at the time saw us wearing template kits from buckta, umbro and even osca (the wretched blue kit) - so other clubs in the division were wearing exactly the same kits but in their own colours. Even the original yellow and white stripes was a template - a yellow and white version of the same Exeter had at the time, while our purple away kit of 91/92 was exactly the same as the away kit of Notts County, and a blue and white striped away kit from the mid-90s was the same as a the home kit Chester had at the same time (I made the mistake of wearing mine the day we played them at home).

The Superleague kit of Rodney Jack era was exactly the same in style as those sported by Brighton, Lincoln and many other teams and it wasn't until Vandanel became our supplier that we started getting bespoke kits.

Look on footballshirtculture.com or historicalkits.co.uk and you can see how those teams with puma, adidas or nike kits just have template shirts the same as anyone else using the same brand, therefore no individuality or respect for history. QPR had to wear narrow hoops last year, not because they chose them but because Nike didn't do shirts with wide hoops, so some farcical explanation is usually provided linking to the club's history but in reality it is because they can only select from certain designs.

Sondico are making some of the nicer shirts for lower divisions teams at the moment - a nod to history and individuality. I'm hoping that the new white away kit they are designing for this season is the classic from 1974. That would sell plenty I would imagine.

Good post Hector, a nice little reminder there of some of the dodginess we have witnessed. I remember the template kits as you say, I remember seeing the same design as the yellow and white stripes but in different colours, I'm sure Notts County had their home shirt in the same design as ours as well, I've got the purple and white away top from that season, love the shirt but quality is poor. Also still got the blue and white stripes away one (actually we had 2 in those colours and I got them both, one for a tenner) and the 97-99 superleague one you mention, yes they were all very generic and a few other clubs definitely had the same template.I dont mind the template thing too much as long as they look smart and we are wearing the right colours, and you know what they should be. :)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Any news on this new white away kit we are supposed to be getting?
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Quite smart looking, pure white with black detail for MB logo and club logo. Cheaper than the home shirt and on the tufcshop online now. A few other new items available to purchase on their too from joma - not sure if they're part of Sondico who hAve done stuff for us in the past..?
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

sigh, i'll put the link up then shall i??!!

http://tufcshop.9drw.uk/categories/away

not keen myself, wish they'd have a decent coloured embroidered emblem on, rather than black printed one, or even better one like my avatar!!
still keeping the faith
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Away kits waste of time. I would query whether they make any money out of having an away kit. They should play in their traditional colours at every opportunity. More people would buy the shirts then as they would be used far more often. Cannot stand this trend away from tradition, its yellow (or gold) shirts, blue shorts and perhaps yellow blue or white socks. Prefer blue and yellow hoops on the socks myself. Corporate identity and marketing, that's what it is all about and what increases sales.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Thanks for the link - perhaps I missed the announcement but I am a little underwhelmed, although I quite like the fact it is unadorned with unnecessary trim but a yellow and blue badge would have been better.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm guessing this was the cheapest option. Basic white t-shirt, shorts and socks with black printed logos. No fuss minimalism.
As for tradition I say screw your modern yellow or gold rubbish, we should stick with the traditional black and white and start calling ourselves magpies again, like in the good old days ;-)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Ha ha, Philgull, you are right in some ways. In fact I think we played in red and white hoops even before the black and white but that strip was abandoned because the shirts turned salmon coloured when the dye ran in the wet. Salmon, there's a colour. Be nice to spawn a colour not used before.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I thought it was a printed logo, but while purchasing my new home shirt in the shop this afternoon, the mannequin was wearing a shirt with an embroidered logo on the away shirt ?