Dean Edwards

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Neal - lets hope you are right as I see that this looks like the only way forward to me. Maybe we should credit Dean Edwards and Steve Breed for trying to save the club. If we were reasonably competitive we would achieve the break even figure attendance wise but now we havn't a hope in hell.
It has to be said that we have been incredibly unlucky with injuries which hasn't helped our cause. But we have no chance of carrying on the way things are at present.
Yes - we must not forget that it was Dean Edwards and Steve Breed who pulled together the consortium which has kept the club in the National League and also for appointing Paul Cox and John Ramshaw as manager and assistant. However, there has always been a niggle in my mind about the credentials of Dean Edwards and what he actually did as Director of Football which to me seems unnecessary for a club in the National League. We need a chairman and chief executive of course, but a Director of Football? Surplus to requirements methinks. Steve Breed said on Saturday that he has always got on well with Paul Cox and that Cox had said he respected him. The spotlight does seem to fall on Dean Edwards who has been the one making statements about the club's finances, wrongful dismissal claims, attendances etc. Why has Edwards been the mouthpiece - surely it should have been the chairman or the chief executive making these statements? Older fans have been through the desperate times of Dave Webb and Chris Roberts but this past week has been as desperate as any of those times. In fact, this time is probably worse because this is becoming the fourth season in a row when the club has been in turmoil. We just have to hope that we can survive this season, stay in the National League and hope for better things in the future.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"The club released a short statement confirming Edwards' departure saying: "Dean himself thought that owing to the financial restraints of the club, the position of director of football was unsustainable."

Respect to him. he has actually put the club before his family.

Of course I do not know the finer details, BUT if this is the true situation the man deserves a lot of credit. Hargreaves "loved" the club, "bleeds" yellow, all that nonsense. Again I do not know if he is still being paid or was just sacked and is one of the ones claiming unfair dismissal but the general consensus is he is on gardening leave which means he is being paid. Im actually not criticising him as he had a contract but I wanted to point out the difference between the 2 men.
TUST MEMBER
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Neal wrote:"The club released a short statement confirming Edwards' departure saying: "Dean himself thought that owing to the financial restraints of the club, the position of director of football was unsustainable."

Respect to him. he has actually put the club before his family.

Of course I do not know the finer details, BUT if this is the true situation the man deserves a lot of credit. Hargreaves "loved" the club, "bleeds" yellow, all that nonsense. Again I do not know if he is still being paid or was just sacked and is one of the ones claiming unfair dismissal but the general consensus is he is on gardening leave which means he is being paid. Im actually not criticising him as he had a contract but I wanted to point out the difference between the 2 men.
:goodpost:

If Deano has left without taking a penny so the club is in a healthier position then I'd like to thank him. I assume he was on a contract so he didn't have to resign but it sounds as if he's put the club before himself. A fine gesture if that's the case.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Great post tomogull. We need to stop muckspreading whoever it is aimed it.
The truth will come out today, tomorrow or the next day and what will be will be.

Get through this season whatever and start again.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

mushroom wrote: Sadly you are wrong
I spent a long time with Bill Phillips trying to get the right and best solution for our Club
Do you feel l should not disclose any further info ?
Mushroom,

Could you confirm whether you are involved in biometrics and have you been involved in education? Are you a chairman of a schools governors?
Funguy

Post by Funguy »

OK mushroom ~ as they say in The Sun........... GOTCHA!

You're Hugh Carr-Archer
username2
New Signing
New Signing

Post by username2 »

Funguy wrote:OK mushroom ~ as they say in The Sun........... GOTCHA!

You're Hugh Carr-Archer
Ha-ha mushroom - I know our head coach is on gardening leave and there's someone called Lavelle in the team but this isn't Oakley School! :rofl:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

potnoodle wrote:Isn't Deano still working as a consultant for the club?
On non-contract terms :clap:
Lucy
gulls63
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: terry Adlington

Post by gulls63 »

At least I am now aware that there are two other supporters in Bedfordshire!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

mushroom wrote: Sadly you are wrong
I spent a long time with Bill Phillips trying to get the right and best solution for our Club
Do you feel l should not disclose any further info ?
It's a shame then that you couldn't persuade him to turn up and defend the legal action taken by one of the employees. Of course my information may or may not be correct but it wouldn't take much to find out ...................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If the western morning news article is correct then fair play Dean Edwards, you have to admire the man. There is little doubt though that what he said is correct. The club needs someone with the funds to invest in the team. If that happens ultimately we have the fan base to produce decent crowds for this league.
However without further funding we re doomed - getting spanked heavily by part time pub teams and our support will be half what it was in no time at all.
Edwards seems to hint at the possibility of a buy out - lets hope this time we can come up with someone who has the cash behind him.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

The bit where he says he looked around and the whole apathy of the place got to him and it got him down i completely understand because i felt the same. I didn't feel like any or shall we say enough people really cared on Saturday, players and fans alike. Not enough people were hurting like dean obviously did and myself. I stood for about 5-10 mins after the whistle looking around reminiscing about some of the players and matches I'd seen and just thought how has it got to this.

I don't know what i was expecting maybe some of the players to get angry with each other, i was certainly expecting a more hostile response from the fans as the goals went in, instead it was more laughter or a shrug of the shoulders. Just summed up that people have given it up and now just accept this garbage as what happens at Torquay now.

Sad state of affairs, no idea how you turn that around.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I don't think they/we DID accept it. There are a lot of young players out there, booing and jeering at them would only have made things a LOT worse. I just chose to ig ore them all at the final Whistle - actually that's a lie. I gave Marsh about 3 claps when he came over. None of the goals were his fault and he scored 2 goals, so. II thought he was worthy. Other than that, best for all concerned they just got off the pitch and reflected on their performance.