Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Give Martin Ling another chance I say!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The issue is money though - we have very little, so we won't be getting any sort of "name".

I'd imagine, though not agreeing with it, that we will be lumbered with a rookie manager. Whilst the list of names mentioned in Brucies list fills me with dread (Ling being the exception - I'd give my right arm for him to return), I fear we will see somebody of that ilk here - maybe even somebody like Manse.

One thought - does Nico/Manse etc actually have the relevant coaching badges?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:The issue is money though - we have very little, so we won't be getting any sort of "name".

I'd imagine, though not agreeing with it, that we will be lumbered with a rookie manager. Whilst the list of names mentioned in Brucies list fills me with dread (Ling being the exception - I'd give my right arm for him to return), I fear we will see somebody of that ilk here - maybe even somebody like Manse.

One thought - does Nico/Manse etc actually have the relevant coaching badges?

Martin ling would also give his right arm in order to remove the "coffee stain" from his Managerial career.
He knows Torquay through and through and probably still has the right contacts. I personally think that we owe him another chance after the way he was treated by our previous board.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Would Ling come back for next to no money though?

STIP
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Does anyone know whether this is still going http://www.lingselite.co.uk/ or how successful it is, could have a lot to do with, whether Lingy would be interesting in going back into management.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

From the article that appeared in the independent recently, it seems Ling is doing what many ex managers do and is cobbling together a loving from various scouting and coaching sources. While he may be making more money than a job at Torquay may bring, it doesn't sound very stable and that might be an attraction to our managerial position. As for Ling, that goes for many other ex managers too.

Anyway, lings name has only appeared in the Herald, and they just pull the same names out of the hat every time. We have no idea whether Ling is actually interested or not.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Can someone please tell me who Mushroom is or who he or she is pretending to be or who he or she has the confidence of ?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Neil Warnock. He must have earn't enough over the years not to 'need' a job now. Offer him some pin money to come in as DOF and then bring in Manse or Nicho as player coach (more coach than player but handy to have them in emrgency) or Tully or any hungry young manager looking to make a name for themselves.
Those calling for experience get what they want, those calling for young blood get what they want - everyones a winner baby!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Phil - are you insane. We don't want Nicholson back, he's bloody useless. We need to improve the team not make it worse - jesus Exodus and Nicholson. Do you want a tortoise race or something?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Phil - are you insane. We don't want Nicholson back, he's bloody useless. We need to improve the team not make it worse - jesus Exodus and Nicholson. Do you want a tortoise race or something?
I think you missed the bit in Philgull's posting 'more coach than player but handy to have in an emergency', Brucie. Neil Warnock could do a job for us but I doubt that he'd want to take it on. Steve Tully and assistant Wayne Carlisle are doing okay at Truro but he hasn't been manager there for long. Nico and Mansell may well go into manager/coaching in the future but I don't think now is the time for them to take on a club tottering on the brink. Martin Ling or Shaun North? Possibly, but not totally convinced either is right at this time. I really have no idea who can do the job at the minimal wage the club can offer.
Malagagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Malagagull »

brucie wrote:Phil - are you insane. We don't want Nicholson back, he's bloody useless. We need to improve the team not make it worse - jesus Exodus and Nicholson. Do you want a tortoise race or something?
Agree neither Exodus or Nicholson is the answer....but I do think Nicho will be a manager at some club but not this one right now.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nicholson with North as his assistant is my shout, not saying that's who I would want (that would be Ling) but with another young coach in Chris Todd in the frame for the Eastleigh job I can't see him staying in the selection process for us.

Nicholson and North would be cheap and also willing to tackle the job, see how close I get ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Nicholson with North as his assistant is my shout, not saying that's who I would want (that would be Ling) but with another young coach in Chris Todd in the frame for the Eastleigh job I can't see him staying in the selection process for us.

Nicholson and North would be cheap and also willing to tackle the job, see how close I get ;-)

Please NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Surely the board recognise the folly of employing a "legend" with no direct managerial experience. WE have only just got rid of Hargreaves.

With the greatest respect SG - I hope you are so far away that no-one hears you !!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

MF68 wrote:Can someone please tell me who Mushroom is or who he or she is pretending to be or who he or she has the confidence of ?

I'm sure that whomever "mushroom" is, he's a fun guy.

:scarf: :scarf:

STIP
Sincerity
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Sincerity »

I totally agree

Neal wrote:For me it would be these qualities:

1 Local to area
2 Has been a football manager in the South West to a reasonable level
3 Has good people management skills.
4 Confident and Motivated
5 Has been successful relevant to the average playing budget in the league they play in. This is the important one. Someone who has batted above their weight.
6 Will accept a 1 year deal - NOT A ROLLING CONTRACT