Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I would rather have people who actually want the job, and therefore bothered to apply for it, so that rule Ling out. If he had expressed a desire to come back I probably would have interviewed him but I'm certainly not going to approach Him, he's not that good.

Sean Joyce has done a good job lower down, that's true. His qualities as a manager may well be what we need. What would worry me, though would be his contacts. That long at the lower end means he probably doesn't have the necessary friends at higher league clubs to do a few deals. At other clubs with a paid for scouting network this is less of an issue, but at TUFC where you have to do everything yourself it really matters.

Better someone like North, who is a well respected coach and has been working at league clubs for the majority of his career.

I feel we either need a first time manager who previously has been an assistant or coach higher up the ladder, looking for their break, or an experienced guy who through circumstance has found himself put of the game and needs a route back in. Both these types should be hungry and willing to do the job for less cash than they would normally expect, and may represent the best value for money. Thus type also has th3 best balance between coaching ability and relevant contacts.

Would be nice if the preferred candidate was at Lincoln to watch his new team, too.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It's a shame it's not a home game, all 129 applicants in the crowd could really have made a difference!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

PhilGull wrote:It's a shame it's not a home game, all 129 applicants in the crowd could really have made a difference!
:rofl:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Kit_robin wrote:I would rather have people who actually want the job, and therefore bothered to apply for it, so that rules Ling out. If he had expressed a desire to come back I probably would have interviewed him but I'm certainly not going to approach Him, he's not that good.
Well, he's certainly not that bad either, no worse than most of the managers we've had over the past few years. He did take us to the League Two play-offs.

As for not applying for the job, Paul Cox didn't apply, he was approached to discuss the matter before he was signed up. Perhaps the club owes Martin Ling the same courtesy, particularly given the manner of his dismissal last time.

However, the most important consideration is perhaps to employ the man who seems best able to motivate and organise the players already in our squad, given that we can't really afford new signings. Ling is one possibility, Joyce is another, and there may be other possibilities. The question is, who would accept the challenge, given our financial situation and the amount of money we have to offer?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Sean Joyce responds to the rumours:

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Bide ... story.html

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Kit_robin wrote:I would rather have people who actually want the job, and therefore bothered to apply for it, so that rule Ling out. If he had expressed a desire to come back I probably would have interviewed him but I'm certainly not going to approach Him, he's not that good.

Sean Joyce has done a good job lower down, that's true. His qualities as a manager may well be what we need. What would worry me, though would be his contacts. That long at the lower end means he probably doesn't have the necessary friends at higher league clubs to do a few deals. At other clubs with a paid for scouting network this is less of an issue, but at TUFC where you have to do everything yourself it really matters.

Better someone like North, who is a well respected coach and has been working at league clubs for the majority of his career.

I feel we either need a first time manager who previously has been an assistant or coach higher up the ladder, looking for their break, or an experienced guy who through circumstance has found himself put of the game and needs a route back in. Both these types should be hungry and willing to do the job for less cash than they would normally expect, and may represent the best value for money. Thus type also has th3 best balance between coaching ability and relevant contacts.

Would be nice if the preferred candidate was at Lincoln to watch his new team, too.
Agreed on Ling bring him back you just as well bring back Bill Philips! Sean Joyce may have a few negatives but he would definitely fit the Bill in this instance :scarf:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The reponse from Sean Joyce is completely at odds with what I was told last night - ie that he is in contention for the Torquay job. Managing Bideford and managing Torquay our light years apart. I doubt he has many contacts higher up which is what we need. Definitely not the answer and Ling coming back is completely nonsensical.
pinitgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by pinitgull »

Steve Round
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Joyce - not applied and no contact
Ling - not applied and no contact

Just goes to show what most of us on here have k own for years, that the Herald express really don't have any info any more and are about as imaginative as a paper bag when it comes to these things.

Added in 4 minutes 9 seconds:
pinitgull wrote:Steve Round
Do you k ow something or is this just a wild guess?

Surely Round would be looking to start further up the ladder? Assistant at places like Newcastle, Everton and man u to Torquay?

I k ow I said an assistant looking for their first job would be a good bet for us, I wasn't thinking they would come from quite so high up!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Do you expect someone already in another job to come out and say "yeah, I want that new job, but if I don't get it I'm going to stay here".
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

aggrey_25 wrote:I have sat back and not commented on these Nicholson posts however I cant listen to this anymore.

As someone earlier just mentioned, he has no badges, he has no experience and frankly was a negative player. Yes he is local and yes he will be cheap however at least Hargreaves had his badges and worked as a coach at Bournemouth (He wasn't the answer) so why people think Nicholson would be the answer are deluded and clueless, the type of shambolic appointment which will see us down in the conference south and drop and drop and drop. To get out of the mess we are in we need someone with experience at a certain level or who has been in this situation before.

Same goes for nicholson/mansell or north/nicholson please just take a minute and think about what you are saying!!
:goodpost:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Kit_robin wrote:Joyce - not applied and no contact
Ling - not applied and no contact

Just goes to show what most of us on here have k own for years, that the Herald express really don't have any info any more and are about as imaginative as a paper bag when it comes to these things.

Added in 4 minutes 9 seconds: Do you k ow something or is this just a wild guess?

Surely Round would be looking to start further up the ladder? Assistant at places like Newcastle, Everton and man u to Torquay?

I k ow I said an assistant looking for their first job would be a good bet for us, I wasn't thinking they would come from quite so high up!
In that case Chairman of Torquay United do your job and pick up the phone and speak to Sean Joyce before it is to late :whip:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

aggrey_25 wrote:I have sat back and not commented on these Nicholson posts however I cant listen to this anymore.

As someone earlier just mentioned, he has no badges, he has no experience and frankly was a negative player. Yes he is local and yes he will be cheap however at least Hargreaves had his badges and worked as a coach at Bournemouth (He wasn't the answer) so why people think Nicholson would be the answer are deluded and clueless, the type of shambolic appointment which will see us down in the conference south and drop and drop and drop. To get out of the mess we are in we need someone with experience at a certain level or who has been in this situation before.

Same goes for nicholson/mansell or north/nicholson please just take a minute and think about what you are saying!!

I don't think anybody that has suggested Nico/Manse etc are actually advocating their appointment(s), but simply reporting back on what they have heard or seen.

I agree, I think either of those would be poor appointments and not what we need, but I also think that this is, potentially, the sort of appointment that the Board would go for - no experience, so a prove yourself style, cheap as chips contract. I think that this type of appointment has the potential to kill the club (and it seems to be on its last legs anyway), and now is not the time for experimentation.

This next managerial appointment will, for me anyway, signal the aspirations that the current Board have. If it is either of the above, I would have to assume, maybe wrongly, that they have all but given up any hope for the next few seasons/forever.

STIP
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Neither Sean Joyce or Kevin Nicholson are the answer I'm afraid!!

If Nicholson gets it and fails, he will always be remembered for the rubbish manager and not for the good player he was for Torquay, same as Hargreaves is now.

With all due respect Joyce has done a great job at Bideford but this is a different level altogether.

Im not too sure who the right candidate is for this job but it's certainly neither of the above.

it would be interesting to see if the Board have got in touch with the man who got us out of this league last time round??!!!?!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The man who got us out of the league last time around is unproven when at a club with no money....

STIP