Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

He's unproven at this level. He's unproven with no money. He's not this. He is that. If the board took the criteria of everyone on this board when making a decsion they would have a shortlist of precisly no one!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I think some need to be more realistic regarding this appointment. Maybe the reason why some haven't applied is because they dont want the job. I mean it isnt exactly a lucrative package is it.
Of course i want the best being a fan but really i couldnt careless who it is as long as they keep us in this league this season.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

The issue with Martin Ling applying is that there is no way on this earth he will get the job even if he PAID to work at the club. As someone who has suffered from mental health issues, being honest about your condition to potential employers and just to people in general makes you somewhat of a leper.

Discrimination regarding mental health is something I am researching actually. I apply for jobs myself (many of which I am perfectly qualified and educated to do competently) and go for interviews if i'm lucky enough to get them. I have done this with thousands of potential employers and highlighted my issues and put a positive spin on them and I am currently compiling research into everything from the conduct of interviewers, the questions they ask, the structure in place at the company for supporting people with disability/mental health challenges and basically i'm trying to statistically and anecdotally see how much success I actually have.

A common trick of mine is to apply to the same company for the same type / similar type of job but in different areas. I also submit an application form to the same employer for the same job, one highlighting I have slight difficulties and one saying I have none.

So sure they might invite Ling to apply and say all the right things because their hand is forced - it's out in the public domain now, but in truth they are just being seen to be fair. Ling gets much support on here in terms of a return to the club but how many of these 'supporters' if they are being totally honest with themselves would actually employ him if it was THEIR business he was working at? Yes, you see now.

Ling is now seen as a liability. A weak man with flaws and whilst many opt for the two faced approach, very few would be honest enough to admit this is what they really think. The truth is quite the opposite.

The trouble with mental health issues is that sufferers feel they have to hide the condition which in turn compounds the suffering. It takes a brave man to admit he is suffering from something that truly frightens him and that he doesn't understand and to face up to it knowing random people he doesn't even know will avoid / judge him based on this. It takes a brave man also, and a very rare individual to employ someone like this without judgement or prejudice.

Stress and overwhelming responsibility are key contributing factors to a wide variety of mental health conditions and where Torquay are at now i'd say to Martin please don't even consider putting yourself in that position if by some miracle he applied and was successful. I'm sure he knows where he's at and what he can do but Torquay is in ten times the mess it was in when he left and it's not much fun.

May I also take this opportunity to encourage anybody out there to donate items to their local MIND charity shop to be resold for funds it they have one they pass regularly or that's nearby. I'd say donate money but first of all that's not going to happen and second of all you've all got enough on at the minute financial wise with the club and ticket prices and stuff. MIND do some really incredible work and I've benefitted greatly as have many other people. I'm not going to trot out that old clichéd bullshit about 1 in 3 of us suffering a mental health problem because nobody takes any notice of it. They only take notice when they themselves become one of the 3. They have to, the devastating impact can't be ignored.

I wish Lingy all the best. I'd be concerned to see him at Torquay. Despite most fans holding Martin in high regard and still feeling disappointed about the way those ignorant clowns went about getting rid of him, the club still have a small section of fans who would think nothing of using his illness for cheap shots and abuse should things not go well.

Whatever the manager is, he has to be relatively local. The pay I suspect would be too prohibitive for someone relocating with their family and that has caused problems in the past. Why make the same mistakes again? Torquay is in a difficult geographical position so don't make things even more difficult by doing this. It's too much.

Use common sense and look local. No homesickness, no stressful long journeys to and from work everyday, no extra financial commitments, no away from family for weeks on end should they not come with the new manager, a manager who knows the local area and players, the positive benefits are there to see.

About Kev Nic. I'd say that I could actually see him as TUFC boss but it's a mahoosive risk. He's interesting but it just highlights what a hugely important and difficult decision the board have to make now.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 25 Sep 2015, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I haven't got a bloody clue who it should be or even who I would like it to be .... which I appreciate is not of much help!

However it is important that whoever is appointed is made to pass a sanity test .... which would immediately rule out anybody who had applied for the job!
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

One person who hasn't been mentioned - and has applied before, which surprises me - is Alex Russell.
He has contacts across the South West and in the North West as well.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Can we stop mentioning Kevin bloody Nicholson. It almost feels like I'm inside Dave Thomas' head here. Appointing a totally unprepared novice manager when we were fighting relegation the last time is what has lead us to this sorry situation. We need a non league operator, who knows the level of football and has managerial experience. They don't necessarily need to have fought relegation before but they need experience and knowledge of players at this level. There will be managers like this out there, don't panic.

Nicholson or Joyce might as well be signing the club's death warrant.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

IanGull01 wrote:Neither Sean Joyce or Kevin Nicholson are the answer I'm afraid!!

If Nicholson gets it and fails, he will always be remembered for the rubbish manager and not for the good player he was for Torquay, same as Hargreaves is now.

With all due respect Joyce has done a great job at Bideford but this is a different level altogether.

Im not too sure who the right candidate is for this job but it's certainly neither of the above.

it would be interesting to see if the Board have got in touch with the man who got us out of this league last time round??!!!?!
We need a temporary solution until the end of this season. How do you mean a "different level altogether". We have no money get it No money and our gates are falling. Joyce will do it :-D :-D :-D back by us the Supporters turning up in to watch 2000 plus :rules: :rules: :rules:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

IanGull01 wrote:Neither Sean Joyce or Kevin Nicholson are the answer I'm afraid!!

If Nicholson gets it and fails, he will always be remembered for the rubbish manager and not for the good player he was for Torquay, same as Hargreaves is now.

With all due respect Joyce has done a great job at Bideford but this is a different level altogether.

Im not too sure who the right candidate is for this job but it's certainly neither of the above.

it would be interesting to see if the Board have got in touch with the man who got us out of this league last time round??!!!?!
If football was as easy as you make it sound we would not be on here guessing. Shaun Joyce in the situation we are in would be a sensible choice but as he has not got a coaching badge I expect he will be overlooked. He has the experience of changing teams every year and made a good job of it and I expect his Chairman will be glad once Torquay have chosen their manager. I think Nicholson has his badge but a couple of years ago a Premier manager did not have one but got it after getting the job with Middlesborough.
I think we've got to be very careful and try and get the experience,money,contract right this time but the board may still get it wrong as there are no guarantee's in football.

Added in 7 minutes 29 seconds:
PhilGull wrote:Of all the serious names I have seen thus far Sean Joyce seems like the best option for me. What he has done in his fifteen years at Bideford is deserving of a go at a bigger club higher up the ladder. I would be more than happy to get behind him as Gulls manager.
I've got to agree!
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

If the Board go for a Name we will be in trouble big trouble. We have very little option here unless the Board is prepared to put in more Cash and now. It's not a Manager we need but Players invest in Players under Joyce :bow:
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

I hope for someone with contacts. Realistically joyce wont be able to get in decent loans from prem/champ clubs. Seeing steve round mentioned.... now thats more like it. Cant see him coming for a low wage though
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Scott Brehaut wrote:

I don't think anybody that has suggested Nico/Manse etc are actually advocating their appointment(s), but simply reporting back on what they have heard or seen.

I agree, I think either of those would be poor appointments and not what we need, but I also think that this is, potentially, the sort of appointment that the Board would go for - no experience, so a prove yourself style, cheap as chips contract. I think that this type of appointment has the potential to kill the club (and it seems to be on its last legs anyway), and now is not the time for experimentation.

This next managerial appointment will, for me anyway, signal the aspirations that the current Board have. If it is either of the above, I would have to assume, maybe wrongly, that they have all but given up any hope for the next few seasons/forever.
Cant argue with any of this. Should also be remembered that Nicholson is currently a player with Bath and would not come for free. Either in wages or some sort of transfer fee/compensation. To appoint him would be total lunacy. Its highly unlikely that he will have (m)any contacts in the game for a start and I doubt there will be many players who would be attracted to the club because he is the manager.

The club don't need to look very far back to see how appointing a "club legend" works out. I really hope that they are reading social media to see what the fans would think if they did go down that route. The crowds will be nearer 18 than 1800.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We don't know who is on the club's list of applications, so obviously we can only await developments. Whoever the club chooses, they cannot make a worse choice than us supporters if we all took a vote on it.

As far as Martin Ling is concerned, I would be happy to see him return. His mental issues are under control and behind him in the past. I understand what Andy (Yorkie bar!) is saying, about the club being in ten times the mess we were in when ML was last here, but the potential stress levels would be the same even at Premiere League clubs. I, too, suffered from depressions for years until I learned how to cope and control them. If ML has reached that stage, as he has stated, I would have no worries. That said, if there are other equally suitable candidates, I can understand if the club doesn't want to take even the slightest additional risk.

But whoever the club chooses, he should have our total and unconditional support.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 25 Sep 2015, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Who needs Directors, the forum have whittled it down to just a few and made it easy for them. Ling would be a risk as many I like him but we are not in the position to take risks. I have not come across anyone who completely get over depression and this is not an easy job.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The Board needs to be brave here and not go for a solution that ignores experience. If we repeat the Hargreaves mistake the core support will disintegrate. Fans need to be convinced by this appointment that better times will eventually arrive.