Cox Resigns

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Malagagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Malagagull »

hector wrote:I am puzzled as to why 'Mushroom', if he really is a FD of a FL club, is even concerning himself with this messageboard. The emergence of several anonymous posters all saying the same sort of thing reminds me of the time 'Lewis and Russell' were involved with Exeter City and we know how that went.

I think anything these people say should be taken with a pinch of salt because it is clear that there is some agenda somewhere intent on stirring up trouble, when the club has enough of its own to be dealing with.

The interests of TUFC are best served with either TUST or Torbay Council owning the ground. The club owning the ground makes us vulnerable because there is no way that people without any affection or connection to the club/area would want to buy the club without is making them lots of money and the only way they can do this is through land and buildings when it comes to TUFC.

It is likely that there are companies paid to keep an eye on potential football clubs where there are land issues/possibilities for development - and the same strategies deployed to unsettle supporters and undermine those running the club. Steve Breed and Dave Phillips just have to sit tight because the aim of these people is probably to stir up the fanbase to react against a vulnerable regime, so they pack up and sell cheaply to a supposed 'white knight' who will ultimately rip the club apart.

There are probably two or three outcomes that would occur if an outside buyer was to buy the club...

1) They'd run us into the ground, fold the club and sell the ground for a big profit - forget the covenant, it would easily be dismissed once a developer set their sights on the land. All the owners of the ground would have to do is let the ground fall into such a state of disrepair that it became an eyesore and people were virtually demanding it be demolished, even if it took around 10 years to do.
2) They'd use us as part of project that involved selling Plainmoor (therefore making enormous sums on the sale of the land) building a basic stadium at the Willows with some other added elements to rake in money and charge us an exorbitant rent to play in the stadium.
3) Act as though there is some plan to move us to a new ground, sell Plainmoor, but have us ground-sharing with Exeter/Tiverton while the detail to build the new ground is worked out but it doesn't end up happening (and was never going to) and we are left homeless.

I do not for one minute believe that any outside investor would buy us because they want to help the club prosper. I don't think anyone's vanity project is going to be about Torquay United.

Whilst our current board are skint and a bit clumsy, at least they will be making decisions with the club's best interest at heart, even if, at times, they are a bit misguided or naive. Rather that, than some shark coming in and asset-stripping us and this sudden wave of new posters are likely simply stooges planted by someone who does not have TUFC at heart but their own interests and therefore Mushroom, WBW, George etc are best ignored in my view because it is all part of someone's long game and engaging with them encourages them to play it.
:goodpost: Thats exactly the way I see it too
Georg

Post by Georg »

Okay, i'll make another point.

When are the board going to provide clarity and timescales on this aim of getting the club back in the football league,, or is it just a work of fiction.

Stockport are in the Conference north and are only part time but they already have a target 2020 in place. 2020 being the year they want to be back in the league.

Whats the mission statement of Torquay united??? Survive this season and then what? Survive next year too?
Georg

Post by Georg »

So your happy for the club to just sail along aimlessly season by season with no clear direction or srucured plan of how to get back in the football league. It rang alarm bells that Paul cox was forced out the door due to a lack of money and its ringing more alarm bells that a rookie has replced him. What is going on and what direction is the club going in?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Yes. This club has 116 years of history. At the end of the day, if you will forgive me such a cliche, football clubs are judged on results on the pitch. We have secured the basics, which is the freehold on the land and fans on the board - what we need is a win on Saturday, not a 5 year plan. I trust the board to do their best for our future. Sorry if that disappoints you.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

George wrote:So your happy for the club to just sail along aimlessly season by season with no clear direction or srucured plan of how to get back in the football league. It rang alarm bells that Paul cox was forced out the door due to a lack of money and its ringing more alarm bells that a rookie has replced him. What is going on and what direction is the club going in?

If you keep banging that drum mate you might put a hole in it.

Your last two posts are reasonably pathetic. You have shown that youre not a Torquay fan in the past, and I can see no other motive in your last two posts than is anything other than trying to plant the idea in TUFC fans minds that the board aren't fulfilling their duties.

Of course, this is complete rubbish. When the board took over they stated how much of a mess was inherited. It is to their credit that they only let a couple small bits of info slip when pressed, as I'm sure they could have talked to us all for hours on end about the state the club was in when they walked through the doors.

As the club was days, even hourshours, from closure,i would not expect the owners of any business to have done anything different than they have done; namely put all their efforts in the first THREE MONTHS (that's how long they've been there, after all) into saving the club and preparing an immediate strategy for survival this season. To build a platform for the future.

At the end of this season I would then expect some sort of longer term plans to be made and shared - the reason it has to be at the end of the season is because we don't know where we will be in the league system yet.

So please, give the stirring a rest, will you? I'm sure your arm is tired by now.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

On the money with that.

:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Georg

Post by Georg »

Im not stirring anything and all Im doing is putting a reasonable point across. Where will Torquay United be in five years time? With Paul cox at the helm the plan was easy to understand but Now its not.

What if the worst comes to the worst and the club gets relegated this season. Whats the plan in that eventuality.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

George wrote:Im not stirring anything and all Im doing is putting a reasonable point across. Where will Torquay United be in five years time? With Paul cox at the helm the plan was easy to understand but Now its not.

What if the worst comes to the worst and the club gets relegated this season. Whats the plan in that eventuality.
Yes - let's go public with a plan for the worst case scenario! Ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy??

I trust the club is making plans for many eventualities but I would urge them to keep them private in order for the management, players and fans to all focus on the more immediate rather than the 'what if's'
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Short term plan - survive the season
Mid term plan - promotion
Long term plan - the sky is the limit

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

on another forum, someone has posted that there are still 33 games to go this season, & 99 points up for grabs !!!!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Georg

Post by Georg »

Tomorrow is the perfect chance for the board to preach to the converted and state their ambitions on what direction exactly this club is going and why so many directors and Paul Cox and Dean edwards have all resigned. Clarity is key.
Last edited by Georg on 29 Sep 2015, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

George wrote:Tomorrow is the perfect chance for the board to preach to the converted and state their ambitions. Clarity is key

I trust you will be attending to ask your questions?

STIP
Georg

Post by Georg »

Far too many people on here are too touchy. As ive said certain things will come out over the course of time....
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

George wrote:Far too many people on here are too touchy. As ive said certain things will come out over the course of time....

I thought my question was a reasonable one, however having noted your reply, I'm guessing the answer to my question is no, you aren't attending and instead wish to simply bang on about it on here, where nobody is able to give you an answer due to us all (most anyway) being fans of the club and not being involved in the running of the club in any way, shape or form.

STIP
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

George wrote:Im not stirring anything and all Im doing is putting a reasonable point across. Where will Torquay United be in five years time? With Paul cox at the helm the plan was easy to understand but Now its not.

Why would the club's strategy have changed because the manager has left?

If you understood the plan whilst Paul Cox was in charge then it's easy: same plan but with a manager who wants to be here.