James Hurst suspended by club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The other site is saying that Hurst was out on Friday night because he had already played his last game for the club - therefore it would seem he wasn't in the squad for Saturday.
If that's the case then either of the incidents on Friday or Saturday night do not appear to have made any difference as he would have been going in any case.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

James is our most effective player, and top scorer. We need him on the pitch doing what he does best.
He's young and like many young men likes going out and having fun.
We shouldn't be so precious about the club - nobody in their right mind looks to National league players as role models, many people in much higher stations have done worse and kept their jobs. We're inconsequential, going nowhere and we shouldn't have to live up to the standards of a vicars tea-party.
Let Kevin use this situation to develop his man-management skills and lets all move on.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's not about role models. It's about people who are supposed to be professional sportsmen being responsible for their fitness and readiness to take part in their sport, and maintaining its reputation. What are personal standards of behaviour for at any level if not for this? To let down their employers and supporters in the way this player has done is totally irresponsible. Would anyone expect similar behaviour of Andy Murray the night before an important tennis game? Why should such behaviour by any sportsman at any level be tolerated by those who pay his wages?
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Gullscorer wrote: Would anyone expect similar behaviour of Andy Murray the night before an important tennis game? Why should such behaviour by any sportsman at any level be tolerated by those who pay his wages?
Read what Brucie has said above, not sure anyone can really have a go at the player for going out. On the other hand, getting caught up in an altercation was not his best course of action.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You can hardly compare the lifestyle of a multi-millionaire professional who operates at the top of his sport to a young journeyman pro footballer who earns a pittance. The problem we have is that some of these players are on such low wages that they don't respect their employers enough to act like responsible professionals. I'm not saying they are right but that's where we are right now. I sympathise with both sides but until the club can start paying decent wages these are the things we'll have to endure.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

I disagree with SG. The Club does not have to endure this behavour. Many a young footballer would give anything to be offered a contract from a professional club even if it is on a small wage. There should be no lack of respect for the club because of what they are paid. It is a stepping stone to furthering their career up the football pyramid and, if they have the talent as it seems Hurst has, then the football world is their oyster if they behave in an appropriate manner.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree with Sesimbra. Our players seem to be on such low wages that they can afford to go out drinking in clubs late at night! Lewis Hamilton's recent crash exemplifies the results of a late night out. Perhaps some of our players would be on higher wages playing at higher levels if they adopted a more mature and professional attitude.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

My point is that this is the type of thing we ARE enduring. I'm not saying it's right that we should but it is what the club are having to deal with.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If what I posted is correct then whether Hurst was out drinking or not is irrelevant. For whatever reason he was presumably on his bike before the weekend.
I can only guess that its something to do with his attitude. It was referred to that he stropped off the pitch during the last home game having spent most of the match "strolling around" when he was on it.
That sort of attitude isn't any use to us - we will be better off without him.
If he is on low wages then you wouldn't think he could afford to go out every night.
I don't think the wages have any relevance - that's not an excuse for failing to apply yourself.
Surely the financial rewards happen for those who get a move up the ladder?
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

brucie wrote: If what I posted is correct then whether Hurst was out drinking or not is irrelevant. For whatever reason he was presumably on his bike before the weekend.
I can only guess that its something to do with his attitude. It was referred to that he stropped off the pitch during the last home game having spent most of the match "strolling around" when he was on it.
That sort of attitude isn't any use to us - we will be better off without him.
If he is on low wages then you wouldn't think he could afford to go out every night.
I don't think the wages have any relevance - that's not an excuse for failing to apply yourself.
Surely the financial rewards happen for those who get a move up the ladder?
Never has been before, still isn't!
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

You have to remember that he's on the wages he accepted when he signed the contract as all the contracted players did so they all knew what money they would get ,to start to get bolshi now over money and disrespect your employer is a sign of the players lack of sense.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: Never has been before, still isn't!
Actually, what Brucie posted is correct. It was posted on here BEFORE last weekend that James Hurst was leaving the club. I suspect his disciplinary problems go back well before his Saturday night in the back of a police van.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

frenchgull wrote:You have to remember that he's on the wages he accepted when he signed the contract as all the contracted players did so they all knew what money they would get ,to start to get bolshi now over money and disrespect your employer is a sign of the players lack of sense.
Is he still leaving? Unless he has a water tight contract he may find himself without a club for Christmas, behaviour like this is hardly going to encourage anyone to sign him...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Sorry to say I heard James has been wanting to leave for the last month , I also heard he had a fall out with nicho which led to him going out and getting into the trouble that he did so in my opinion it's good riddance good player but his attitude tells you why he is not playing at a higher level and Cox gave him the chance to start again.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He went to a bar, got hammered, committed what could amount to s.20 GBH on a stranger (an offence punishable by up to 5 years in prison), compounded that by fleeing the scene and resisting arrest. In addition to the jail time, he risks never working in his profession again, being sued by his victim and/or witnesses, and/or violent reprisal...

Because he 'fell out' with his boss?

Sounds likely.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"