Smurthwaite-Norman

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

the last quote is interesting though, maybe once he has (hoping to) sell port vale he can actually look into taking over because am i not right in thinking you cannot own 2 clubs at the same time? or am i making things up as i go along?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Richinns wrote:Just as a faint aura of hope rises - it is extinguished almost instantly:
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
Doesn't really say anything there that I wasn't expecting. He's effectively saying nothing will happen at all until Port Vale are sold.

I think that some people on here have jumped the gun in believing this might happen sooner rather than later. It won't. But if he manages to sell PVFC then all of a sudden things could change, and its a situation worth keeping an eye on.

His statement to me reads very clearly that he is not ruling anything out - just ruling things out right now
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

This does not make great reading - implication being that the current board think they know better/best!

"But there has got to be a desire to listen to advice and a willingness to accept help which is being offered genuinely."

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... z3tkYKCFy8
Follow us: @TQHeraldExpress on Twitter | theheraldexpress on Facebook
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Interesting interview and quite positive I thought . Yes I read this as wrong time at the moment but with a possibility pending the PVFC sale.

Does worry me the current board are as feared going to be very reluctant to let go for whatever reason as suspect they like the profile they have now in the club and area.

Sorry guys get real and stand aside and bite Norms hand off if he offers help or more importantly cash to buy the club even if that means you go back to your day job.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well after tonight with Southport winning 1-0 at Gateshead we are 7 points adrift and need a miracle or a white knight pretty quickly!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't see anything in that interview which extinguishes anything actually, quite the reverse really.

I'm not exactly sure what Messrs Breed and Phillips profile actually is though. Well intentioned - yes, but is there anything else positive to say about them?

They have been an unmitigated disaster. The team is a joke. They have employed a managerial double act which is on a par with pinky and perky. Should there be a genuine offer from anybody its difficult to see how our board could actually reject it.

The paying public would most definitely turn against them.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

You would hope so but makes you wonder what if any offers for help and cash have been dismissed by the deadly double act so that can still Lord it up on the pitch after the game clapping the fans .

Buffoons only at Torquay would you get that .
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I do think the Board are getting undeserved stick. They are being accused by some of not moving aside- for who, for what.? Norman S is a current owner and no he can't even if he wants to. In the future well maybe, I think he may be hinting, but at the moment it's not an option. He having a slug but it's easy when you have options open and money is more available.

Okay this Board appointed Nicholson but we all really know why- they have no damn money. They simply appointed and hoped.

I am not sure the Boards PR is brilliant but that aside they seem to being berated for trying to do their best. So for the those like Brucie saying it's not good enough etc etc that shout is easy. It's a shout of frustration and we are all frustrated. Let's be honest - we are probably the club in this league with the least money so let's have the guts to live through this.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

portugull wrote:Well after tonight with Southport winning 1-0 at Gateshead we are 7 points adrift and need a miracle or a white knight pretty quickly!
Interestingly, there was only 582 at Gateshead tonight. We get 1000+ more than that and we can't even compete and yet they can attract better players. Tells me how that works out.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Gateshead haven't had to pay Judas Edwards 25 grand for his freely obtained shares
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Dazza wrote:I do think the Board are getting undeserved stick. They are being accused by some of not moving aside- for who, for what.? Norman S is a current owner and no he can't even if he wants to. In the future well maybe, I think he may be hinting, but at the moment it's not an option. He having a slug but it's easy when you have options open and money is more available.

Okay this Board appointed Nicholson but we all really know why- they have no damn money. They simply appointed and hoped.

I am not sure the Boards PR is brilliant but that aside they seem to being berated for trying to do their best. So for the those like Brucie saying it's not good enough etc etc that shout is easy. It's a shout of frustration and we are all frustrated. Let's be honest - we are probably the club in this league with the least money so let's have the guts to live through this.
It is thought on the other forum that Dino Maamria - the new Southport manager, applied for the role at Plainmoor but wasn't interviewed. Whilst we all - Brucie included I think, accept these are financially very difficult times it's these kind of things which don't give me any confidence that this board is any more competent than the last. The appointment of Nicholson was the final straw for me - having come so soon after the Hargreaves fiasco I just could not believe it.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

The bit about the inexperienced people says it all and the not wanting to take and listen to help and advice when offered is quite damming. No reason to lie and make this up so this gives us more a insight to what we have got re club leaders here.

The Nicholson appointment was sucidal and still find it hard to believe he was the best of the 50 odd applicants despite financial restraints we are in.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

taunton_gull wrote: It is thought on the other forum that Dino Maamria - the new Southport manager, applied for the role at Plainmoor but wasn't interviewed. Whilst we all - Brucie included I think, accept these are financially very difficult times it's these kind of things which don't give me any confidence that this board is any more competent than the last. The appointment of Nicholson was the final straw for me - having come so soon after the Hargreaves fiasco I just could not believe it.
If we'd appointed Maamria there would have been absolute uproar on here.

Every new manager has to start somewhere, it's just not working out at the moment with Nico
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Would there? Certainly not from me. I would have felt far more comfortable that the board had taken an objective decision instead of going down the lazy 'club legend' messy route - again.
The original taunton_gull!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think Jeff is right, that had we appointed Dino Maamria, who didn't have the best of records, then there would have been uproar but at least he had a bit of managerial experience.

Kevin Nicholson did not. He would not have been appointed had he played hundreds of games for Cheltenham and had no links to TUFC. It was a lazy decision and the fact that we have still only won once since he came, demonstrates the folly of that appointment.

Nice bloke; an intelligent man, who perhaps could have a decent career as a manager one day but not the firefighter we needed when facing relegation to part-time obscurity.