New training ground and youth set up link with Torquay Academy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

New training ground and youth set up link with Torquay Academy

Post by CraigUnder »

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Yes sounds good. Will this mean lavercombe gets some coaching as he must be feeling pretty lonely on the training pitch
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I lived for many years overlooking Audley Park School now the Torquay Academy. The location just 5 minutes drive from Plainmoor is perfect.

The facilities sound first class and should make a massive contribution to helping Kevin Nicholson get the players training effectively.

Well done to all concerned this sounds like a very positive move in the right direction.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Definitely good news to have permanent training facilities and a closer link with the local community. Having chased Seale Hayne up a dead-end then this is as good as it's going to get. We've now got some solid and reliable facilities to use all-year round.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Good on Steve Breed for making this happen and also for cutting the losses on Seale Hayne that Palk and Lee seemed to enjoy spending the Bristows money on.

Well done Steve.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Ah, I just saw this on twitter and asked what the hell 'Torquay Academy' is. Audley Park?

Why the name change...

anyway, this is good. really need training in the town. not sure where the majority of the team lives, but maybe Seale Hayne was easier to get to for them. but hey, £110m on that new road already starting to pay off.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Audley Park changed its name to Torquay Community College at least 10 years ago, and for the last few years has been Torquay Academy. Name changes were probably to reflect new initiatives and attempts to improve its reputation. Their current head Steve Margetts, who is the one in a lot of the photos today, is probably the best teacher I've ever had at any level of education, and he's been there a few years now. If it benefits both parties then it's great news for everyone - I really like the way we've reached into local schools a lot more with player visits since Nicholson took over. This is the only way we're ever going to compete with the Premier League giants when fighting for the fans of the next 50 years.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
hustgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by hustgull »

The facilities there are actually really decent, I train at the gym there and I'm always impressed with how well the pitch is kept, it always seems to be in good nick. And it's dead flat.
The 3G pitch (which is full size) and grass pitches as well as the indoor facilities (gym, good changing rooms, sports hall) is all tucked away from the main school buildings and is right by the Cricketfield Road entrance so it's not like the players are walking through the school to get to training or anything, all very accessible and unintrusive.

Overall seems like a decent move.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

This is great news for the club. To me it makes the club a lot more attractive to players by having a modern pitch, 3G pitch, indoor facilities and gym in such close quarters. I expect the players will be happy with the move and the long list of players on the sidelines should benefit by having top class gym and rehab facilities on the training ground.

Let's hope this rubs off onto the players on the pitch with a few more points!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

This is excellent news and just shows how positive things can be when the club talks to us. Puts all that rubbish in the HE to bed at least.
Onwards and upwards :)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fantastic move , well done to all at the club for pulling this off.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

This is the perfect answer to Colin Lee's well-meant but misconceived recent remarks about Seal Hayne, and helps to explain, at least in part, why the club declined his offer of help.

We should all begin to feel a bit more positive now, and with just one goal conceded in the last four games, perhaps we can all be more supportive of the team in their upcoming games. :scarf: :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If he did indeed make a formal offer rather than try to upset the apple cart in a hissy fit over his huge flop being laid to rest.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stephen Breed has said on social media, he doesn't know of any offer of help from Colin Lee. Also, it has occurred to me that, Dave Phillips and Stephen Breed have pulled this far more affordable and useable training facility "ALL" with any of Colin Lee's help.

Maybe it's not needed.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

With the training ground now in Torquay maybe us fans will be able to watch the team in training?
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/