Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Unread postby Dave_Pougher » Today, 15:56

Ched Evans, I d take him like a shot.

That's what the victim said :devil:
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Hi Jack how many loan players are we likely to lose in january
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

If justice prevails then I wish the guy well, all I was saying most clubs have made the sensible decision to wait for this time and I am sure he will be welcomed back into football at this point if pronounced innocent, but I would leave it for now, but understand your point.

DC
SuperNickyWroe wrote: Disagree Dave.

He's served his sentence, during which he maintained his innocence and is appealing the conviction, which I'm led to believe he would win.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Yes it can be, right now with our goal difference we're effectively 8 points behind, however, it has to be remembered there are not a lot of good teams down at the bottom end of this division, currently we're one of them.

At the moment team are creating enough chances, but are not converting enough of them into goals, defensively we're woeful, however with a stronger midfield the team can take the heat of the back line a bit. As it stands there are not enough fit bodies for Nicho to drop himself, although I'd consider swapping himself with Butler, Nicho on the left of midfield and Butler back at left back.

When he's got a few in and some injuries have cleared however, Kevin Nicholson simply must drop himself, he must realize his inclusion in the team is have a detriment effect, one, because Nicho is gone as a player at this level, and two, he needs to get a proper overview of things, he can only do that from the stands, and side lines.

So in conclusion, a striker who can covert chances more regularly, Ajala and Daniel on the wings would strengthen our side, and Butler back at left back, will in my opinion make a huge difference, and will improve our chances of converting losses into draws and draws into wins.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Alley wrote:Hi Jack how many loan players are we likely to lose in january
I think the loans for Carmichael, Verma and Wright end at the beginning of January. Presumably the loans could be extended if their Clubs agree. Verma is a former team mate of Kevin Nicholson at Kiddy and is out of favour with the new manager there. He is a Leicester lad so might not want to stay here if he can get a Club nearer home but I am only second guessing.
Smith is with us until the end of the season.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Hi jack thanks for the info hope Carmichael stays as he done well for us early season but then got injured and Nico hasn't really played him since he got fit I still don't think we have seen the best of him as he is still a young lad but friends of mine in bmth said when they were struggling he played three games for the 1st team and he was probably there best player on all 3 occasions
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I think it will be more challenging than just the import of a few players can solve. After all, all the Clubs around us in the league will be doing the same and hoping for a similar outcome - we can't all be successful.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totally agree, out of the current bottom 4 teams, it's going to very highly likely that only 1 team if any will pull clear and avoid relegation. If we look at the fixture list by January 2nd, we'll have completed against FGR, Grimsby, Cheltenham, Wrexham, Lincoln, we'll have 3 of the current top 7 still to play, the chance is there for it to be our team.

The rest of our fixtures will be against teams in mid table and predominantly the lower half, I've seen enough of the team to believe that a few tweaks could see us go on a run of results, those tweaks as said in my last post.

A lot is going depend on the Christmas run of fixtures and hopefully our team won't fall to far behind, it will also depend on whether Nicholson will drop himself, if we continue to get poor results conceding goals because he's getting buttraped down the right hand channel, expect fans to continue moaning, shouting and booing.

I'm going to stick by the club, manager and team, and hope it's us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Pleased to read that Verma is with us until the end of the season (WMN) and that we are trying to extend Andre Wright's loan from West Brom. Our contact with one of the nicest guys In football Darren Moore, aka Bruno to us and Big Dave by the West Brom faithful has already been extremely useful. The WMN is also suggesting that the Toby Ajala signing is a done deal and whilst he seems to be a permanent sub at Dover he should do a good job for us.
I don't know if the Lavercombe deal with Wigan is already concluded but if it isn't a good performance by Dan at FGR in front of the cameras could start a bidding war with other Clubs and get us a better deal.
Some fans seem concerned by the signing of Grant Fisher as our number 2 goalie but given our shortage of funds it seems better to spend money on outfield players rather than having a well paid goalie on the bench. All we are wanting is a competent sub goalie in the event that Lavercombe is injured or sent off during a match. After that there is always the option of signing a loan goalie from elsewhere for the next game.
There also seems to be a fair amount of animosity towards our "local" players from some fans and I don't know why. Kevin Nicholson has gone on record as saying that Ben Gerring was signed as a squad player and it is hardly his fault that Smith and McDonald got themselves suspended or Smith wasn't registered for the FA Trophy. However he has come n and played to his strengths, getting rid of the ball rather than dwelling on it, and then gets ridiculed for not having the finesse of a Kompany or Bobby Moore. Give the lad a chance.
Equally Sean Finch is probably only on the bench because of injuries and suspensions. There are players at this level who don't look like footballers but who can put the ball in the net. Matt Rhead of Lincoln springs to mind, he is so slow that he makes bigJonny Parkin of FGR look like Usain Bolt. However if he gets the right ball to his head or feet he can score goals. If Finch is a natural goal scorer who can keep his cool in front of goal he will score goals even if he doesn't look like a natural footballer.
I was never a fan of Graham Westley but his mantra of AIMITA ( Attitude is more important than ability) still holds good at Conference Football level.
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

No idea of potential signings but whatever happens and although every game has a potential for getting 3 points
the 7 matches between 13th Feb and the 19th March (5 home and 2 away) appear our best chances of points (on paper).
Also possibles
H to Braintree on 9th Jan
and if still in touch then both
H Barrow 23rd April
A Guiseley 30th April
Lets hope opportunity knocks, and any new signings are bedded in by February.
Happy New Year to All
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I regret I still think the answer is no to the thread question. Probably after tomorrow 7 points adrift with an appalling goal difference and only 19 games to go. It does amuse me somewhat when the very optimistic multiply the number of games to go by 3 and say that we could get that number of points so all is not lost. I do actually love blind optimism! When the evidence from the season is that only about 3 of those games will yield 3 points the optimism is somewhat dented, The saving grace as a club is that we have been in worse positions before and avoided relegation. That has previously involved a change of manager and some playing personnel. Can the squad be strengthened enough? Hope so. But don't think so! Although the manager bringing in a left back and watching from the dug outs would be a start! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Come on Stef - join the light side. It's so much more fun, and much better company ;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

stefano is right.
paul tufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by paul tufc »

We need to bring players in quickly. We don't have time to waste the games are running out. We need to hit the ground running if we are to get out of this mess.