Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:I watch a FREE agent trial match today full of British, French, Dutch and African players, all are free agents between 18-25 years, 4 could play national league, there are players out there but you need resources and time to go and watch them, you need to then get them down to training and see how they acclimatise to the level, French player was ex-pro had an injury making a comeback 22 years old, good player!
Can you give the club a call and let Nico know please!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jack wrote:Does anyone know why we have signed Aman Verma on loan until the end of the season rather than on a short term contract? Is it because it is cheaper? Can Kiddy, who have just parted company with Dave Hockaday, recall him?
Dave Thomas is concerned that we are filling up our loan quota of 5 in each match day squad. If Verma was our player it would release another loan place and if we could do a cheap deal with say WBA for another youngster it could still be cheaper to sign Verma rather than another player on a short term contract.
Any thoughts?
That's a good point Jack and yes, I'm sure whoever is appointed as Kiddy's new manager could recall Verma. I'm fairly certain it is cheaper to loan him instead of offering a contract until the end of the season but in our position, we need players of his quality so we should have signed him if we had the chance. We have three currently on loan - Lavercombe, Smith and Verma - so there's options for two others to fill the match day squad. Hopefully, Andre Wright will be one of them ...... and maybe we will offer Kadell Daniel a short term contract ? Next week could be quite interesting. After all the rain we have had today and yet more forecast, there must be a doubt about Tuesday night's match.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I have it in my mind that season or half season loans are not subject to recall. That may be complete shite, but it's definitely a memory as opposed to something I've made up.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Southport and Halifax have both picked up points after appointing new managers. It would appear that their respective boards have made good footballing decisions.

Every week we find ourselves reaching new lows in our clubs footballing history!
Skybet have us nailed on to go down @ 1/5, I can't argue with that!
Last edited by kevgull on 10 Jan 2016, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:I have it in my mind that season or half season loans are not subject to recall. That may be complete shite, but it's definitely a memory as opposed to something I've made up.

Matt.

I think you are right, Matt, or at least it used to be the case. I seem to recall an example when Southampton tried to recall Michael Poke and then realised they couldn't because he was on a season loan or something.

The rules may have been changed though.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Sunday Independent reporting that Jimmy Keohane has gone back to Ireland,
I was with a Plymouth Argyle employee (Football Side) not turnstile operator and he said they "were waiting for a call" - they have a few lads needing games who would benefit us.
Not sure if it is my place to call the Club tho.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

I was with Derek Adams father a month ago and he offer to speak to Derek on players, I offer this information to Nicho and he said he would let me know!
MF68 wrote:Sunday Independent reporting that Jimmy Keohane has gone back to Ireland,
I was with a Plymouth Argyle employee (Football Side) not turnstile operator and he said they "were waiting for a call" - they have a few lads needing games who would benefit us.
Not sure if it is my place to call the Club tho.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:I have it in my mind that season or half season loans are not subject to recall. That may be complete shite, but it's definitely a memory as opposed to something I've made up. Matt.
Ah - thanks for that, Matt. I did not know that ruling. If it is still in force, it makes more sense for Aman Verma being on loan for the remainder of the season rather than signing on a short term contract.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

player signing to be announced in the next couple of minutes...
The gulls are going up
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Shaun Harrad is an experienced striker and hopefully will do better for us than he has at Worcester. I would hope that Andre Wright will return but that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Another name to throw in the mix is Kieffer Moore. Last I heard was that he was training with Exeter but I don't know if they've signed him. Exeter have today taken Jayden Stockley on loan so this would suggest Moore is further down the City striker pecking order. Having him until the end of the season would give us extra fire power up front, assuming Wright isn't coming back. Still no news about Kadell Daniel. Davy Caldwell is right - we should be knocking on Argyle's door to see if they have any players available for loan. I would think Nicho has already done this.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Kieffer Moore was playing in Norway, maybe it didnt work out. Would potentially be a good shout if we could get him. There have been a few posters raving about him in the past and we could help him get going again.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

chunkygull wrote:Kieffer Moore was playing in Norway, maybe it didnt work out. Would potentially be a good shout if we could get him. There have been a few posters raving about him in the past and we could help him get going again.
Moore got released, hence why he is chancing his arm on trial at various places.

Hopefully he wasn't deemed quite up to scratch for City - will more than be OK for us
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Given that we've signed four players from the local amateur leagues I would be amazed if Kevin Nicholson has not thought to contact the local professional sides for any available players. Hopefully the difference between now and a few weeks ago in terms of budget available means that if there are any leads he now has a chance to bring a couple more in.

Let's face it, we need as many quality players as we can possibly afford, but at an absolute minimum we're still we're still four players short of having a squad with half a chance of survival. Two more loan signings (especially Andre Wright or someone from a Premier League side, as Nicholson admitted they are completely free of charge) and a couple of permanent additions and we'd have 6 new signings (plus Verma extended) to improve half the side and give us some depth at last.

On the subject of extensions, does anyone know if Hurst to Guiseley has been confirmed yet? Like Andre Wright is he now not technically 'our' player again until a loan extension or permanent deal is agreed?
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Gulliball wrote:Given that we've signed four players from the local amateur leagues I would be amazed if Kevin Nicholson has not thought to contact the local professional sides for any available players. Hopefully the difference between now and a few weeks ago in terms of budget available means that if there are any leads he now has a chance to bring a couple more in.

Let's face it, we need as many quality players as we can possibly afford, but at an absolute minimum we're still we're still four players short of having a squad with half a chance of survival. Two more loan signings (especially Andre Wright or someone from a Premier League side, as Nicholson admitted they are completely free of charge) and a couple of permanent additions and we'd have 6 new signings (plus Verma extended) to improve half the side and give us some depth at last.

On the subject of extensions, does anyone know if Hurst to Guiseley has been confirmed yet? Like Andre Wright is he now not technically 'our' player again until a loan extension or permanent deal is agreed?
Absolutely right, Gulliball. The weakness of the squad was glaringly obvious in the FGR match. Harrad and Ajala are useful additions but five or so players have left the club which has left us stretched in attack and midfield. Most of the money received from Wigan for Dan Lavercombe must be invested to strengthen the squad. There is still time to avoid the ignomy of National South. I'm sure Nicho and Steve Breed are working their socks off to bring in suitable players who will fit in with the current squad. I haven't heard whether Hurst's loan extension to Guiseley has been confirmed or not but I suspect we won't see him in a Gulls shirt again.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Kevin Lisbie has left Barnet. Surely worth a call to see if he can help us for the rest of the season.