Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

wodger of awabia wrote: No, no you're wrong, it's Adrian Mole! :whistle: :whistle:
Adrian Mole? No, no. I heard he's playing down under.. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

[quote="tomogull") Another name to throw in the mix is Kieffer Moore. Last I heard was that he was training with Exeter but I don't know if they've signed him. Exeter have today taken Jayden Stockley on loan so this would suggest Moore is further down the City striker pecking order. Having him until the end of the season would give us extra fire power up front, [/quote]

Kieffer Moore signed for Forest Green today. Brett Williams, another possible signing mentioned on this thread, has also signed for Forest Green. 13 days before the Transfer Window slams shut .......
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Happens every time he gets released/becomes available, but this former Gull has become available.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35355641
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Jeff wrote:Happens every time he gets released/becomes available, but this former Gull has become available.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35355641

I would happily see him back at Plainmoor. Would be great cover/mentor for Young.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Guttridge would be an excellent signing and just what we need in midfield. An experienced, more defensiv minded player putting in lots of effort. If we could attract him till the end of the season then we should.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Kit_robin wrote:Guttridge would be an excellent signing and just what we need in midfield. An experienced, more defensiv minded player putting in lots of effort. If we could attract him till the end of the season then we should.
Agreed - Luke Guttridge would have been a good signing - some experience in midfield. Alas, he has signed for Dagenham & Redbridge ......... :(
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Nicho says in HE that Danny Racci was the midfielder we heard was gonna sign. But they couldnt afford him. Not heard of him but theres still time to get someone in
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well let's see ...

Ajala, Harrad and Blissett are IN

Heslop, Briscoe, Fairhurst and Marsh OUT

In my book, we are even weaker than when we started! We have just FOUR days left to sign replacements. In my honest opinion, we now need Four or Five to stand even a chance, allowing for the inevitable injuries and suspensions (MacDonald is odds on for a three match ban, sometime between now and Easter!), we don't just need QUALITY now, we need QUANTITY too.

At the moment, I can't quite figure out whether Nicho and the Board have given up and are trying to recruit for next season in the Conference South, whether (with the exception of Fairhurst) it's purely a case of cutting our losses ...or whether, the cavalry indeed about to arrive! At the moment it seems as though nobody wants to sign for us/Nicho and nobody wants to stay with us/Nicho either!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Now we need another striker as well as at least one CM. Still want that winger as well, to be honest.

Unless Nicholson goes completely against current type and signs two or three amazingly brilliant signings, we will probably leave January no better off than when we entered it. If that happens, I hope the board give him an honest assessment of his work.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Posted on the OS on the Waide Fairhurst story:
"The club is working hard behind-the-scenes to complete a new signing, stay logged for further details..."

4hrs 39mins later I am still logged on and waiting..........(only the Marsh bomb has been added since).........
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring.

Although the transfer window closes on Feb 1st a club can still sign players who are out of contract and the emergency loan window will operate from the second week in February until late March?
There are plenty of players like Nathan Blissett who was out of contract when we signed him and others like Briscoe and Fairhurst who have mutually ended their contracts with their clubs and made themselves free agents.
I think we are most likely to sign free agents and loan signings so we can carry on recruiting after the window closes.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Quite right, but of course, it does rather limit us in terms of the pool of players available to us - there may be some decent free agents around, but most likely we will still face stiff competition if they are any good. As for loan players, we really only have ONE loan option left as we can only play FIVE in a match day squad and given that Lavercombe, Smith, Verma and Wright are all already firm fixtures in that squad and all with us until the end of the season - our hands are tied somewhat.

The other factor of course is that in our desperate situation time really is of the essence - we cannot afford to delay any longer as games slip by, without reinforcements being brought in.
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

Midfielder incoming

Added in 4 minutes 23 seconds:
Fingers crossed it's Lionel Messi playing for free ;-)
TUST Member 405
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

See title of thread: No, of course not, don't be daft.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Jack wrote:We have read the good intentions going into the January transfer window but will we find the players we need?

Taking out the loaned who are due to go back to their respective Clubs in January we have only got 6 players who should be in the first team week in, week out. They are Lavercombe, Berry, McDonald, Smith, Butler and Richatds.
The rest including Kevin Nicholson are essentially squad players who should mainly be used as subs and as cover for some first team games. They are Grant Fisher, Nicholson, Gerring, Heslop, Murombedzi, Briscoe, Fairhurst, Chaney and Prynn. In my view the three outfield players, Yeoman, Alex Fisher and Fenwick also came into this category.
I assume that Hurst is due back in January unless Guiseley or someone else signs him and Exodus? Who knows.
We also have a group of emergency subs in Hancox, Finch and Corderoy (as cover for Grant Fisher)

We need 4 or 5 players of first calibre which could include some quality loan signings. Will we get them? Good luck in the January sales Kev.
Looking back at my original post on Christmas Eve there have been a lot of changes and yes the squad has been strengthened enough to save us.
Verma and Wright stayed on and the addition of Racchi, Rees, Ajala, Harrad, Blissett and Allen after offloading several fringe players has given us a much better all round squad.
We still have a long way to go but at least the Board and Kevin Nicholson/Robbie Herrera have given us a fighting chance.