If I was getting rid of players who had scored one goal every two games, I could certainly understand the fans' frustrat

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

If I was getting rid of players who had scored one goal every two games, I could certainly understand the fans' frustrat

Post by CP Gull »

.... can someone from the club please explain what the MANAGER means by this? Does HE not realise what a STUPID comment this is given the players record?

I said a few days ago that if we let Marsh go, the Manager and Board would regret it, that they should listen to the fans - but, clearly we have been ignored, Perhaps someone from the club could offer a proper explanation as to why our top scorer has been released ? Clearly the Manager's explanation is flawed .....
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

interesting what the total goals scored from the players that have left then minus the goals scored from the remain...Would work it out but having a shandy and getting shut eye
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

1800 fans have witnessed an inexperienced board employ an inexperienced manager. It would then seem that TUFC players who are not prepared to fight for our Conference survival or consider the challenge a futile one, are leaving the club as fast the fans!

28 games played, 20 points gained, -26 goal difference and almost cut adrift from survival.
Thank god for the Boxing Day (fluke) win otherwise we would all think that we were living a footballing nightmare! ;-(
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Well considering Marsh's scoring record from starts under Nicho...which is 5/7 I'm sure he'll understand when I say that selling Marsh is bullshit and Nico is a bullshit manager, which many of us said from the start. Thanks for understanding why I said that gaffer.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Nicho = Hargreaves

Added in 3 seconds:
Nicho = Hargreaves
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Marsh put in a transfer request because he wanted to leave!!!

Torquay didnt get rid of him!!!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

IanGull01 wrote:Marsh put in a transfer request because he wanted to leave!!!

Torquay didnt get rid of him!!!
Marsh was under contract for what, three more months? Torquay did not HAVE to get rid of him .... Please accept this as FACT!
withawhy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by withawhy »

So Marsh put in a transfer request because he wanted to leave!

SO WHAT!

He was under contract and if he refused to play or train, then no need to pay him (breach of contract). If he just went through the motions, I suspect that other clubs might not have been keen on signing him at the end of the season.

More likely that the few pounds that we might have got for him, plus one player less to pay, was the deciding factor for the "money men and women" in charge!
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

The below part of my profile at Mansfield 83/84 season when we were fighting relegation, reading it you will appreciate I was very difficult to manage and although on the transfer list the manager still played me? He was quite shrewd as I kept them in the league?

Ironically Caldwell scored his first goal of a prolific season in that game at Huddersfield, in which the Stags were beaten 5-1. At the beginning of October, Caldwell scored the first hat-trick of his career in a 5-2 win against Aldershot at Field Mill (Stags were later to lose 7-1 away to the same side). All 3 goals were clinically finished though amazingly, Caldwell ended the game thinking he had scored four, but one of his goals had been disallowed and it wasn`t until after the game that he found out. A week later he scored again with a superb chip in a 2-2 draw at Bury and in an almost identical incident he also hit the post. On October 19th he was the villain at Elm Park, Reading. He was lectured after only one minute for taking a dig at a defender and was sent off after just 14 minutes after he had swung a punch at Martin Hicks after the two had clashed. Stags went on to lose 4-0 and Caldwell was immediately put on the transfer list, manager Ian Greaves proclaiming `I am sick to death of his childish behaviour. His disciplinary record is appalling and no matter how hard we have tried, he has done nothing to put a stop to it`. Remarkably four days later came the highlight of Caldwell`s career when he scored four goals in a 26 minute spell in a 5-0 win over Hartlepool at Field Mill. His first came when he slipped in a Stewart Barrowclough cross; his second was a volley after a defensive error and his third a fine diving header. But his 4th was more memorable as his thunderous cross from the right touchline flew into the net. I remember the incident so well and it seemed on the day that an inspired Caldwell could do no wrong. But manager Ian Greaves maintained that he would stay on the transfer list until he had learnt his lesson. The Hartlepool side included brothers David and Andy Linighan. David Linighan went on to join the Stags some 16 years later. Ten days later, Caldwell scored 2 more goals in a 3-0 home win over Rochdale to sign off before another suspension. The first goal followed a superb move involving Steve Whitworth, John Matthews and Stewart Barrowclough which left Caldwell with a simple tap-in. His second goal was a trademark goal as he received the ball on the halfway line from Simon Woodhead, surged forward into the penalty area, brilliantly turning a defender, and planting an unstoppable left-foot shot in between the keeper and the near post. In his first game back from suspension, Caldwell scored again when he drilled a shot under the keeper in an FA Cup win over Doncaster. Goals followed at the end of December in a 4-0 win away to Chester (a lob over the keeper) and a superbly taken goal in a 3-3 home draw with Crewe, as Stags ended 1983 five places from the bottom of Division 4. Stags had sunk to third bottom in the Division, before Caldwell scored again, in March, in a 4-3 home defeat by Wrexham. But he roared back to form in April as he scored in 3 successive games, all of which were won, to move Mansfield away from the re-election zone.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Spot on Dave, you were the sort of character that would have been allowed to just walk out of the door under the present regime ..... little realising what the "bigger picture" was ... Jeez, I just wish we had someone like you now, playing or managing ... It's what we need!
Last edited by CP Gull on 28 Jan 2016, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

CP Gull wrote:Spot on Dave, you were the sort of character that would have been allowed to just walk out of the door under the present regime ..... little realising what the "bigger picture" was ... Jeez, I just wish we had someone like you now, playing or managing ... It's what we need!
I would say that this is the last thing we need!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Right ok...so if it had come out that Marsh had put in a transfer request but the club turned it down so Marsh had to stay.

Everyone on here would be saying let him go because he doesn't want to be at the club!!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Jerry wrote: I would say that this is the last thing we need!

Really? Personally, I think Dave comes across as someone who is a deep thinker and knows his stuff! Ally that to his passion as a player, and you might just have a pretty decent coach/manager!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

IanGull01 wrote:Right ok...so if it had come out that Marsh had put in a transfer request but the club turned it down so Marsh had to stay.

Everyone on here would be saying let him go because he doesn't want to be at the club!!
Not so sure about that. It would have shown a bit of backbone from the club and manager. Rightly or wrongly many fans see us as a soft touch with players and in the transfer market.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

IanGull01 wrote:Right ok...so if it had come out that Marsh had put in a transfer request but the club turned it down so Marsh had to stay.

Err, No! On the basis that he was scoring (better than!) one in two, I really don't think anyone would have given a toss ... particularly if his goals had kept us up ... he could have left in the summer and no one would have cared ...

It matters not now, we let him go .... end of! Let's just hope we don't regret it .... would YOU bet against it? No, I thought not! :)

Added in 4 seconds:

Err, No! On the basis that he was scoring (better than!) one in two, I really don't think anyone would have given a toss ... particularly if his goals had kept us up ... he could have left in the summer and no one would have cared ...

It matters not now, we let him go .... end of! Let's just hope we don't regret it .... would YOU bet against it? No, I thought not! :)