If I was getting rid of players who had scored one goal every two games, I could certainly understand the fans' frustrat

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

IanGull01 wrote:Right ok...so if it had come out that Marsh had put in a transfer request but the club turned it down so Marsh had to stay.

Everyone on here would be saying let him go because he doesn't want to be at the club!!
All the board have done is show that they are easy pushovers and in view of the players walking out quite freely at the moment, I wonder how many others have had a quiet word with their agent to see if they are generating any interest away from TQ1. If it's that easy to walk out, it's got to be worth asking around to see if other clubs are interested in you as a player....
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

You might find my personal management qualifications, my part funded 3 year research program with a University in football development across Psychology, Nutrition and Physiology, 18 years as a professional and 30 plus years experience, I would not say was the last thing we needed, but it all about opinions and everything is pure conjecture until you deliver the goods? But thanks for the nice comment and out of interest to the other party "what do we need" please provide a strategy, game plan to get us out of this predicament, every day is a school day for am and I am still learning.

I am at the Tranmere game Saturday, lets hope we get a win!
CP Gull wrote:

Really? Personally, I think Dave comes across as someone who is a deep thinker and knows his stuff! Ally that to his passion as a player, and you might just have a pretty decent coach/manager!
Last edited by davidcaldwell123 on 28 Jan 2016, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

CP Gull wrote:

Really? Personally, I think Dave comes across as someone who is a deep thinker and knows his stuff! Ally that to his passion as a player, and you might just have a pretty decent coach/manager!
No disrespect to Dave but we've been down the former players with little relevant experience route twice in recent times with disastrous results. Only a fool doesn't learn from his mistakes.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench

No offence taken, its an opinion, I agree to an extent and understand what you mean, I am down for the Altringham game if your around Torquay, have a beer and get to know my knowledge and judge for yourself, I will buy the drinks!!!
Jerry wrote: No disrespect to Dave but we've been down the former players with little relevant experience route twice in recent times with disastrous results. Only a fool doesn't learn from his mistakes.
Added in 36 minutes 2 seconds:
davidcaldwell123 wrote:You might find my personal management qualifications, my part funded 3 year research program with a University in football development across Psychology, Nutrition and Physiology, 18 years as a professional and 30 plus years experience, I would not say was the last thing we needed, but it all about opinions and everything is pure conjecture until you deliver the goods? But thanks for the nice comment and out of interest to the other party "what do we need" please provide a strategy, game plan to get us out of this predicament, every day is a school day for me and I am still learning.

I am at the Tranmere game Saturday, lets hope we get a win!
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

I'm not from the club but I think I can explain what the manager means with this quote. I don't believe it's evidence of his stupidity. He is surely saying that the decision was not in his hands. As in, Nicholson himself had no plans to "get rid of" Tyrone Marsh. The context of the quote is how Marsh handed in a transfer request and the club were unable to change his mind. In another quote Nicholson says: "Tyrone found out that Dover were interested and asked for a move. He pretty much made the decision himself."
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench

I take it they never approached the club officially as under both the transfer rules established by FIFA and the Football Association followed by the clubs playing in England if another club wants to procure the services of a player that is registered with another club they must speak directly with that club and not to the player or his agent. The individual player and the agent who represents him will only be brought in for discussions with the potential purchasing club once the two clubs have agreed on a fee.

Did Dover or the players agent then flout the laws of the game?
BobBobBob wrote:I'm not from the club but I think I can explain what the manager means with this quote. I don't believe it's evidence of his stupidity. He is surely saying that the decision was not in his hands. As in, Nicholson himself had no plans to "get rid of" Tyrone Marsh. The context of the quote is how Marsh handed in a transfer request and the club were unable to change his mind. In another quote Nicholson says: "Tyrone found out that Dover were interested and asked for a move. He pretty much made the decision himself."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

BobBobBob wrote:I'm not from the club but I think I can explain what the manager means with this quote. I don't believe it's evidence of his stupidity. He is surely saying that the decision was not in his hands. As in, Nicholson himself had no plans to "get rid of" Tyrone Marsh. The context of the quote is how Marsh handed in a transfer request and the club were unable to change his mind. In another quote Nicholson says: "Tyrone found out that Dover were interested and asked for a move. He pretty much made the decision himself."

:goodpost:
Hallelujah !!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:I take it they never approached the club officially as under both the transfer rules established by FIFA and the Football Association followed by the clubs playing in England if another club wants to procure the services of a player that is registered with another club they must speak directly with that club and not to the player or his agent. The individual player and the agent who represents him will only be brought in for discussions with the potential purchasing club once the two clubs have agreed on a fee.

Did Dover or the players agent then flout the laws of the game?
Are you being obtuse or naive? I can't tell.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench

Neither, if someone was tapping my players and unsettling them and in the context that their actions may also relegate the club, I would not be happy and seeking why the player was approached through inappropriate channels. I also know it happens but its all about behaviours, I am sure if Dover was going for promotion and someone tapped their player, they would not be happy?
madgull wrote: Are you being obtuse or naive? I can't tell.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

And that's the problem, isn't it? The decision was made more or less solely by the player.

If I as in charge, I would have told Tyrone he was free to go to Dover IF they met his valuation. I would have based my valuation not on what he is worth, but how much it would cost us to replace him with a player of equal quality. Because we're in a shite position, that means we would probably have to over pay to replace him.

I reckon we would need about 30k to replace marsh adequately. That's decent wages and a small fee for someone. Now, marsh is not worth 30k with three months left on his contract, so either...

Dover pay, in which case fine. We can get a d cent replacement.

Or

Dover tell us to bigger off. In which case there is no club for Tyrone to move to. Will marsh be annoyed? Probably for a couple weeks, but I would wager that after a couple games on the bench he would probably just get on with his job.

This is how many clubs operate when they have someone with the balls to protect the club before the players. Players may throw a paddy, but as with most things a bit of time and all is forgotten. Give into players and you've lost them forever.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Given that the amount was undisclosed, you'll have to trust that we got a fair amount in fees.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Kit_robin wrote: And that's the problem, isn't it? The decision was made more or less solely by the player.

If I as in charge, I would have told Tyrone he was free to go to Dover IF they met his valuation. I would have based my valuation not on what he is worth, but how much it would cost us to replace him with a player of equal quality. Because we're in a shite position, that means we would probably have to over pay to replace him.

I reckon we would need about 30k to replace marsh adequately. That's decent wages and a small fee for someone. Now, marsh is not worth 30k with three months left on his contract, so either...

Dover pay, in which case fine. We can get a d cent replacement.

Or

Dover tell us to bigger off. In which case there is no club for Tyrone to move to. Will marsh be annoyed? Probably for a couple weeks, but I would wager that after a couple games on the bench he would probably just get on with his job.

This is how many clubs operate when they have someone with the balls to protect the club before the players. Players may throw a paddy, but as with most things a bit of time and all is forgotten. Give into players and you've lost them forever.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but we don't know what sort of fee we got. I'd be surprised if it's not closer to £30,000 than nothing. Plus there's a sell on fee, you never know who might catch the eye of Peterborough, they have a history of throwing obscene money at strikers called Tyrone.

Wages are a factor to consider when talking about holding onto players against their will. Marsh was probably on something like £400 a week, and would have had five months on his contract, so would cost us another £8,000 to hold onto his contract until its conclusion. So we have freed up that plus whatever the transfer fee was to get a replacement (or replacements). It could work out better for us.

I'm not so sure Marsh was that indispensable in any case. He hit a bit of a purple patch then got sent off at Altrincham. Since then he only got the two goals in that one match against Forest Green. Obviously we're seriously lacking goalscorers of any kind, but I'm thinking Andre Wright is a better player. Who knows what sort of partnership he could form with Harrad and/or Blissett. Ajala was pretty useful as a second striker in his first spell, so that's another option. And with the new midfielder and Verma, maybe we are already equipped to play with one up front and wingers or a five man midfield or something. Perhaps Marsh would have ended up being on the bench, sulking or otherwise.