Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Should not being there count?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

samuel wrote:Should not being there count?
l I have included 3 games that I was not at, and I was not there as all of them were before I saw my first game in 1963 (one of them was before I was born). However the history of the club did not start when I saw my first game so I thought some games just could not be left out even though they happened before I was a supporter. Bet there are no games from this season listed! ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Nope, I'm still accepting choices where you weren't at the game. A couple came really close to making mine, but I've decided to stick to games that I saw.

Pleased to say this seems to be picking up a lot and I'm hoping for a number of lists in before the Saturday evening deadline. Counting will commence on Sunday (likely) and once that is done + ordered, the list will begin!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ok final chance if you've not entered already folks!
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Sorry to leave it so late Plymuth Gull, this was harder than I thought, But here it goes:

1- Southend United 1-2 TUFC 8/5/04... Giving us automatic promotion on the final day to the newley named 'coco cola league 1'

2- Cambridge United 0-2 TUFC 17/5/09... Hargreaves, Sills, Wembley, Football league!

3- TUFC 3-1 Plymouth Argyle 19/11/11... Including two fanstic goals from O'Kane, one of which a 35 yard Lob!

4- TUFC 4-0 Stockport County 25/04/06... A vital 6 pointer at the wrong end of the table, Lee Thorpe hatrick!

5- TUFC 2-0 Histon 01/05/2009... Plainmoor was rocking that night when our 2-1 agg win gave us oir trip to Wembley where we went on to win promotion!

6- Kidderminster Harriers 2-5 TUFC... 22/9/07... An absolute thriller with Hinchelwood bagging his first pro (fluke) goal with a clearance from his own half.

7- Oldham 1-2 TUFC 23/04/05... Great away win, at this point I truley belived we were going to beat the drop from league 1.

8- TUFC 1-0 Blackpool (FA Cup) 03/01/09... Giant killing, We we're the Non league team to beat a Championship giant!

9- Kidderminster Harriers 0-1 TUFC 25/8/01... A really good and loud away croud for this one, on my list as it was my first ever away game, also still got my black and white striped away shirt from that season.

10- TUFC 0-0 Boston United 6/5/06... This was enough to ensure our surivival (Although we survied fairly confortably) with Oxford and Rushden losing to the drop. My highligh of this game was when we had a corner, ex player Lee Canovill was looking for his man to mark (Kevin Hill), but good ol Hilly was Hiding behind the goal post!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Likewise. Really hard to pick out a bunch... like choosing top ten music tracks (or even favourite child from my three sons)! Virtually impossible.
So these are memorable for various reasons.
1. 08/09 Cambridge (Wembley) 2:0 Hargreaves, Sills
Apart from being ripped off by the Wembley prices it was a great day (and result).

2. 00/01 Barnet (A) 2:3 Hill, Rees, Graham
Almost didn't get into the ground as we'd been in a pub off Barnet High Street for too long. Got a kiss off Hells Bells as we raced up the steps to the back of a wobbly away end. Tears of joy at the end. No nails left. Laughed at the half time streakers.

3. 03/04 Northampton (A) 0:1 Fowler
Blazing hot day. Almost didn't leave the pub garden as it was blissfully hot and wonderful. First game of our promo season and certainly underdogs to Northampton. Lee Cannoville rousing the fans behind the goal after a goal line clearance.

4.09/10 Rochdale (H) 5:0 Rendell, Benyon (2), Wroe, Carayol
One of the many visits to the Crown & Sceptre pre match and a good chat with table topping Dale fans. Only one spoke of his fear that they'd get beat and laughed at by all his mates.

5. 98/99 Halifax (H) 4:0 Robinson, Donaldson, Hill, Bedeau
Capital Gulls sponsored match and a motley crew assembled in the box next to the directors. All on best behavior of course. (And when you consider who was in our box, that was quite an achievement)!

6. 97/98 Brighton (A) 1:4 Roberts (2), Gurney, Jack
Played at Gillingham. Another Capital Gulls away day handing out CG leaflets to the travelling fans. Every time we went forward, we looked like scoring. Roberts and Jack were awesome!

7. 97/98 Leyton Orient (A) 2:1 McFarlane
Desperate day in the capital. Needed a point and a frantic goal mouth scramble couldn't produce the equaliser for playoff (I think).

8. 93/94 Northampton (A) 0:1 Darby
One of my first ever games. Living locally (MK) and meeting up with the likes of Hayden, Cav and Hells Bells (with their drums). Could have sworn it was Goodridge who scored though.

9. 93/94 Wycombe (A) 1:1 Sale
Wycombe's first season in League football. Remember some Cardiff fans in our corner because their game was cancelled and the sky diver getting stuck in the trees behind up before the kick off.

10. 94/95 Hartlepool (H) 2:2 Sturridge, Kelly
Could be my first home game (not sure). Pitch was a mud bath. Long way for the pool to travel at Christmas! Sat with the old folks in the main stand.

Plenty more from my time travelling with the CG's and the Bateson era. Happy days.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Lucky it' s not a general election as it would be 60% spoilt papers for not voting in private! ;-)
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Good point Stefano... forgot to PM as I was in a rush. :Oops:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ok chaps, the deadline has been and gone. I'm beginning to count at some point today and this should be underway at some point in the next few days!

To those who've said they'll send one in but haven't done so yet, if you get it in before the counting is complete then it may not be too late.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Can I vote for one in the future?

If so it would be Nicholsons last in a TQY shirt. For surely only then can we begin to move forward.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Can I vote for one in the future?

If so it would be Nicholsons last in a TQY shirt. For surely only then can we begin to move forward.
Is there a future? ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 0 - 0 Boston United - 2005/06

1 point, 1 vote

nPower League 2
6th May 2006
Plainmoor
Attendance: 5697

Torquay: Andy Marriott, Lee Andrews, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Steven Reed, Matt Hockley, Darren Garner, Danny Hollands, Kevin Hill, Lee Thorpe, Jo Kuffour (Tony Bedeau). Subs not used: Matt Villis, Alan Connell, Paul Robinson, Morike Sako

----

We start the list off with a scoreless draw. This was a final day encounter whereby United had pulled off the Great Escape in the final few weeks of the season, in effect rendering this match pointless as we had secured safety before hand (something that seemed an outrageous thought a couple of weeks prior!).

I don't recall much happening in this game, but I do remember the pitch invasion at the final whistle. The win at Carlisle the previous week was the key result in our survival, taking almost all of the pressure off this one.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Look at that attendance for what was a pointless match! :O If only we could draw anything like that now.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Didnt an ambulance drive onto the pitch after that game to tend to someone on the popside who had a heart attack or something after all the celebrations, or have I got the wrong year and the wrong escape, it was definitely the last game of the season after a relegation dogfight so Im sure it was that game.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
paul tufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by paul tufc »

I seem to remember Raynor getting dogs abuse before the game while receiving kick outs from there keeper. Our paths hadn't crossed for a while after he gave up playing so when we realised it was him him the chants of cheat started .