Politics

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Jewish woman on Israel/Palestine:
Israeli soldier:" We're just following orders." (I seem to remember something similar being said by Nazis at the Nuremberg trials).
Jewish man on Israel and Zionism: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 64214.html
http://www.bdsmovement.net/bdsintro
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Feeling guilty at having distracted Gullscorer from his main campaigns by distracting him into engaging with a good natured knock about concerning the provision of meat pies, I will publicise this article that appears today:

The brutal truth is that the intellectual arguments for feminism have been extremely weak for a generation, but politically the movement remains in an unassailable position.

All that means is that to the kind of ambitious, careerist politician who forms the political class, taking on feminism is tantamount to a death wish: can you name a single front-rank politician who has done so in your lifetime?

Given that men seem to becoming steadily less important to the economy and alienated indigenous men are currently easily replaced by migrant labour from abroad, that moment of epiphany seems likely to be a long way off. For men, it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/andr ... them-back/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

At last! About bloody time too: http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... -mens-day/

And this: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/11/1 ... n-in-july/

Criminal justice: five out of six men in British prisons wouldn’t be there, if men were sentenced as leniently as women for the same crimes. http://mra-uk.co.uk/?p=215

Results of a totalitarian ideology in action: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking ... -feminism/
Last edited by Gullscorer on 07 Dec 2015, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The mob is calling for his head! A petition calling for Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump to be barred from entering the UK has gathered more than 200,000 names, so MPs will have to consider debating the issue.

The thoughtless (if not downright stupid) people who signed this petition have obviously let their emotions cloud their judgements. What will they demand next? Banning the broadcasting of his speeches? Of any words he utters? Banning, silencing, and censorship are the tools of totalitarian regimes, not modern democracies. They never worked in the case of Jerry Adams during the Northern Ireland troubles, and will have no effect here.

And what's their reason? They disapprove of what he said. They consider it racist and offensive. Yet he was in no way promoting or advocating for armed revolution or terrorism, nor attempting to stir up hatred and violence. Anyone calling for such extremes should rightly be brought to account under the law. So far as I can determine, he was actually calling, in the wake of recent terrorist shootings and bombings, for a temporary ban on Muslims who wish to enter the USA from certain parts of the world pending a closer scrutiny system of their visa applications and the banning of those who pose any kind of security risk. Sounds reasonable to me, and it's no more than the UK authorities do when looking at visa applications. Democrat president Jimmy Carter ejected thousands of Iranians from the USA during the Iran crisis with no opposition from the social justice warriors who are now vehemently calling for Trump's demise.

Whatever one thinks of Trump or his politics (personally, I cannot stand the man), if you disagree with what somebody says, or the way they say it, even if you consider it offensive, hateful, or worse, the correct response is to reply with a better, more persuasive argument. If you cannot change the mind of the person concerned, then at least you may persuade many more undecided people. Banning, silencing and censorship (not to mention mocking, ridicule, and shaming tactics) are not the answer. Unfortunately, that kind of attitude is becoming more prevalent these days, particularly in academia, where you would expect a free exchange of ideas and opinions, argument and intellectual discourse.

Totalitarianism, in all its ideological forms, insidiously and surreptitiously infiltrates the dark (and not so dark) corners of our society, quietly preparing for the time when it can assert its power with lies and propaganda followed by tyranny and oppression. This drift towards totalitarianism might be implemented by activists such as those who oppose Trump, or indeed by the likes of Trump himself, and is something democracy must always guard against. The way to do that is not by banning and suppressing, but by open exposure to the light of argument and truth. We can only hope that MPs will give this fascist-inspired petition the derisive treatment it deserves. If they fail to do so, be very fearful for the future of our democracy.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Capitalism is the antithesis of free trade. The purpose of capitalism is to form a monopoly or near monopoly to crush the free market to maximise profit. One purpose of government should be to regulate capitalism to increase competition and break up large monopolies. As it isn't doing that, we have ended up with corporatism, large corporations with excessive political as well as financial power crushing the needs of the people beneath the needs of big lumbering corporations to find growth and profit. Communism was just as bad. But insidious tyrannical totalitarianism, whether corporate capitalist, communist, fascist, feminist, or political correctness, is the worst of all.

Added in 22 hours 12 minutes 27 seconds:
Hilary Clinton will lose. No woman will ever be elected President of the United States, because women are the majority of voters, and once the election ends they know they can manipulate a pandering male president more than they can an empowered woman. This despite the US Democratic Party's version of democracy: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/10/hilla ... fter-loss/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

For every two male medical students today, there are three female medical students. The two men will collectively work markedly more hours over their medical careers than the three women collectively.
Dr Vernon Coleman – the first ‘TV doctor’ and bestselling author – had started warning in his books in the 1970s what problems would result from the feminisation of the profession, which was then already underway. He predicted the problems which would result from female doctors (in general) not having the strong work ethic of their male colleagues (in general).
Over 50% of GPs today are women, and waiting times for appointments have never been longer. When I was a young man, it was common for GP surgeries to be open on Saturdays. Now it’s rare. http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/kath ... rofession/
Mike Buchanan

Added in 12 hours 43 minutes 37 seconds:
Conservatives' illegal overspend in Farage election probe:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Ukip.html
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gullscorer wrote:For every two male medical students today, there are three female medical students. The two men will collectively work markedly more hours over their medical careers than the three women collectively.
Dr Vernon Coleman – the first ‘TV doctor’ and bestselling author – had started warning in his books in the 1970s what problems would result from the feminisation of the profession, which was then already underway. He predicted the problems which would result from female doctors (in general) not having the strong work ethic of their male colleagues (in general).
Over 50% of GPs today are women, and waiting times for appointments have never been longer. When I was a young man, it was common for GP surgeries to be open on Saturdays. Now it’s rare. http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/kath ... rofession/
Mike Buchanan

Added in 12 hours 43 minutes 37 seconds:
Conservatives' illegal overspend in Farage election probe:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Ukip.html

Way to completely discredit yourself there Dr Dickhead!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull, yep, as I remember, Dr Vernon Coleman was always blunt and outspoken, and the phrase you've highlighted is certainly not typical of the female doctors I have encountered. However, Kathy Gyngell, Dominic Lawson, and Dr Henry Goodall make valid points about the situation resulting from the higher numbers of female doctors in the profession these days, which is not to apportion blame in the way Dr Coleman (and perhaps also Mike Buchanan) have done, but to point out that there is such a problem which needs to be addressed, among all the other problems such as NHS funding and priorities and political interference.

Female doctors, like most women, have a need to give birth and to raise their kids, hence their part-time working and consequent lack of experience compared with their male colleagues. Their biology puts them at a disadvantage, not only in medicine but in business and other professions. Women who do not have children have no such problem.

But the real problem here, to my mind, is the lack of young men in higher education, resulting from the decades-long focus on helping girls to achieve in education at the expense of boys. If the current gender imbalance disadvantaged women and girls instead of men and boys, there would be an outcry, not least from feminists, whose ultimate goal has never been equality. If this imbalance were levelled out, i.e. if there were more male students and doctors, the proportion of part-time female doctors would be far less of a problem for the NHS and GP practices.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Welcome to 2016. The baby argument is no longer valid. Men and women can now share parental leave equally. The only thing keeping women at home in charge of the kids and men at work is the pay inbalance. I know a lot of fathers who, if the mothers of their children earned a comensurate amount would be staying at home with the children.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

PhilGull wrote:Welcome to 2016. The baby argument is no longer valid. Men and women can now share parental leave equally. The only thing keeping women at home in charge of the kids and men at work is the pay inbalance. I know a lot of fathers who, if the mothers of their children earned a comensurate amount would be staying at home with the children.
I am one of them. Not long til ours are due but I can't afford to take paternity.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I know all about parental leave entitlements, but in the real world many women, including well-paid female doctors who would otherwise be working long hours, still choose to raise their kids themselves in the early years. Of course family finances and earnings are a big factor, but having kids is still a choice people make.

Having kids is a choice and a privilege, not a right, nor do I agree it should be a right if it's paid for out of my taxes: Housing Benefit, Child Benefit, parental leave, and the rest. Contraceptives have been available for decades: if people can't afford to have kids they should not be having them, and benefits should be reserved for those who have temporarily fallen on hard times - just my opinion!

However, it's an established fact that the NHS doctor crisis has arisen concomitantly with the growing male/female doctor imbalance. Redressing this imbalance would help, as would greater contributions by doctors towards the costs of their education and training.