Eunan O'Kane

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

PhilGull wrote:
Paul Hall for Jamiaca in France '98?
Matt Elliott was also in the Scotland squad for France 98.

And having done some digging there was a goalkeeper for the US called Juergen Sommer in their squad for the tournament who apparently had a loan spell with us in 92-93, although before my time so not certain on this, and my only source is Wikipedia. Hopefully someone can confirm this fact?

However both of them failed to play a game at the tournament.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

At this stage anything we can get would be welcome. If it's only a 10% sell-on, and he goes for a touch over £1m, we could be in line for £100k. That's not to be sniffed at, in our position.

Somebody tell Newcastle about him, they always overpay for players.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

leetufc wrote: And having done some digging there was a goalkeeper for the US called Juergen Sommer in their squad for the tournament who apparently had a loan spell with us in 92-93, although before my time so not certain on this, and my only source is Wikipedia. Hopefully someone can confirm this fact?

However both of them failed to play a game at the tournament.
Juergen Sommer did indeed play for us at one stage and he was a useful 'keeper. But you've opened up a bit of a mystery. I've looked back through the records but can't find when he played for us. It wasn't 92/93, or at least I don't think it was. This is something for Guru Stefano to get his teeth into !! :|
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Juergen Sommer played 10 league games and one Autoglass Trophy game between 31st October 1992 and 9th January 1993.

Matthew Lowe played the games before and Kevin Blackwell replaced him in January 1993.

I can tell you the 11 games if you want any more detail.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Jurgen Sommer was a bloody decent keeper from what I remember. Cant believe he only played 11 games, seems like he was around longer because I remember him well.

Dont forget former Gull Chris Waddle played for England at Italia 90 :Oops: , albeit 8 years before he played for TUFC.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Eunan on as 82nd min sub against Netherlands.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Gulliball wrote:Juergen Sommer played 10 league games and one Autoglass Trophy game between 31st October 1992 and 9th January 1993. Matthew Lowe played the games before and Kevin Blackwell replaced him in January 1993. I can tell you the 11 games if you want any more detail.
Yes - you're right. I looked in the Centenary Book for the 1992/93 season and couldn't see him listed but when I looked again, there's a separate section in small print listing players who also played during the season and he is included there. Like Chunky, I was surprised he only played a handful of games - he seemed to be with us longer than that. There are many players who have played more games than that who haven't left an indelible memory !
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

Missed the squad by the looks.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

It's been a quiet summer for Eunan rumours, but he's been linked with Wigan this week. It's the final year of his contract so you'd think there'd be some movement in the next few weeks as he doesn't appear to be in Bournemouth's first team plans and they're not going to get any money keeping him past August.

Fingers crossed for a permanent deal rather than a loan, and we could have another few hundred thousand coming our way.

It's been an interesting summer for transfer sell-ons. Barnsley have just made £6m+ from John Stones, but you have to feel for Walsall, Fleetwood and Halifax, where offers were made for Deeney and Vardy but the moves didn't happen. Think they could have been worth about £7m, £6.5m and £1.6m odd respectively had they happened - crazy money for L1 and Conference North sides... Halifax would have got money for Vardy 3rd hand, getting 25% of 35% of £20m, but Vardy turned Arsenal down.

Eunan is the best player we've had in a generation, and the £175k we got for him looks even worse when Angus MacDonald goes for six figures. Another chunk of cash when we desperately need it just might make it easier to reflect on.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/09/po ... ths-okane/

Do we know what percentage sell on we have in place for Eunan? I think I am correct in saying that Thea receives 50% of ay transfer fees we receive so in reality only £50k of the Gus transfer will have gone down as income. This also means that any fee for Eunan would also be half of what the club will receive.

Not a bitch in the slightest about the situation after what Thea and family have given up for us - just trying to put fees received into perspective.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Looks like our the rumours were not about Eunan but another Bournemouth Midfielder. Shaun MacDonald has signed for Wigan. Pity.
Tokyo Calling
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tokyo Calling »

Deadline day looms. Rumours Leeds have 600k bid rejected and a number of clubs in for him with Howe holding out for 750k

fingers crossed
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

Might pay the gas bill for a month, but not more than that.

£750k-£175k = £575k
£575k x 15% = £86250
£86250 - tax (12%?) = £75900
£75900 - 50% to Thea = £37950

Total worth to us of Eunan £212,950, less than the cost of a modest 2-bed semi in Kingsteignton.

That Grimes bloke went to sit on Swansea's reserves bench for what, £5m?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Oh Fer Christ Sake wrote:Might pay the gas bill for a month, but not more than that.

£750k-£175k = £575k
£575k x 15% = £86250
£86250 - tax (12%?) = £75900
£75900 - 50% to Thea = £37950

Total worth to us of Eunan £212,950, less than the cost of a modest 2-bed semi in Kingsteignton.

That Grimes bloke went to sit on Swansea's reserves bench for what, £5m?
Need to find the gas money from somewhere else as that £37950 will be going to Clarke Osborne and his chums I would imagine.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

In the market today, £600k is practically nothing. An absolute bargain for whoever gets him.

Awful news for us as well, as he should have gone for far more. You can't budget for things like this, but it might have been a real boost for us at the best possible time. £30k odd is better than nothing but it won't go very far.
www.torquayfanstats.com