So what do we need......?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Agree, Rees was largely an unsung hero but I thought he did a great job of holding things together.
Last edited by Lloyder5 on 23 Jun 2016, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
TUST number 080
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

I will be very disappointed if Nicho does decide to bring back Lathanial Rowe-Turner. I don't think he is the same player he was when we had him before and his career is on a downward spiral. Both of the teams he has played for in the National League over the last two seasons have been relegated (Alfreton and Kidderminster). He also spent the last few months of last season (when Kidderminsters form improved) on loan at Nuneaton where i have just read he conceded TWO penalties in one game!! Surely there must be better players out there that we could afford?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I agree that we need a more proven defender, in whichever position McGinty is not earmarked for, and he's more recently been a left back. We're missing a solid central defender to complete our spine and then we have Verma to cover at right back, Gerring/McGinty in the centre and Nicholson at left back. With the squad we have I just don't see him being a good fit. We need cover in midfield and up front, and starting players in defence, and I don't think he's either of those. McGinty is still young and has previously done well at this level, whereas LRT is dropping a level with every move he makes.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I would have thought Verma will be first choice right-back for most of the season
TUST number 080
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I don't think with our budget we are going to be able to have top quality in every position. I'm quite happy with LRT, I think he has the attitude if not the ability.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

Who says Verma even wants to play first choice RB next season?

We could be cheeky and nick back Joe Oastler from Aldershot too to make the trio :whistle:
TUST Member 405
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote:Who says Verma even wants to play first choice RB next season?

:whistle:
Imagine where Verma plays is down to the manager
TUST number 080
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Playing a midfielder at right back for 6 games when you have none fit and the transfer/loan window is closed is one thing. Playing a midfielder at right back for 6+ months when the transfer window is open all year round and you start with a completely fresh slate of 0 contracted players is quite another, and I very much doubt that is the plan. For a start we'll need Verma to play in midfield, where he is best and can add the most to the team.
www.torquayfanstats.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm not holding my breath for Verma to play in midfield. If we are to play 4-4-2 then surely Young and Lathrope will be first choice in there. As for this idea that a player can only play in one position - rubbish! Verma showed he is more than capabale to play at right back, we have two very good midfielders and no one else to play right back so why not play Verma there?
If Man Utd can play Young and Valencia as full-backs or England can play Rooney in midfield then I'm pretty happy for our best right-back to play right-back! The fact he is also really good in midfield is a massive bonus.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

PhilGull wrote:I'm not holding my breath for Verma to play in midfield. If we are to play 4-4-2 then surely Young and Lathrope will be first choice in there. As for this idea that a player can only play in one position - rubbish! Verma showed he is more than capabale to play at right back, we have two very good midfielders and no one else to play right back so why not play Verma there?
If Man Utd can play Young and Valencia as full-backs or England can play Rooney in midfield then I'm pretty happy for our best right-back to play right-back! The fact he is also really good in midfield is a massive bonus.
Agree, I would say he influenced games more from right-back. With a little more time he was able to bring a bit of quality to right-back.
TUST number 080
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote:Who says Verma even wants to play first choice RB next season? We could be cheeky and nick back Joe Oastler from Aldershot too to make the trio :whistle:
Nope - it aint going to happen. Some would say 'Thank Gawd for that'. Joe has signed for Gosport Borough along with former gulls Martin Rice and Aaron Dawson. They join the unforgettable Ben Harding who is already there.

I see that Scott Rendell has signed for Aldershot so he aint coming back neither !!
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

tomogull wrote: Nope - it aint going to happen. Some would say 'Thank Gawd for that'. Joe has signed for Gosport Borough along with former gulls Martin Rice and Aaron Dawson. They join the unforgettable Ben Harding who is already there.

I see that Scott Rendell has signed for Aldershot so he aint coming back neither !!
Probably not Nicho's choice of character in that case then, Luke young chose to be loyal in return for TUFC carrying him during his injury for most of last season.
Scott Rendell suffered a nasty injury and the Woking suppoters raised thousends for his opperation, and then he leaves at the end of it all.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote:Who says Verma even wants to play first choice RB next season?

We could be cheeky and nick back Joe Oastler from Aldershot too to make the trio :whistle:
No thanks, he was absolutely bloody awful!
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

PhilGull wrote:I'm not holding my breath for Verma to play in midfield. If we are to play 4-4-2 then surely Young and Lathrope will be first choice in there. As for this idea that a player can only play in one position - rubbish! Verma showed he is more than capabale to play at right back, we have two very good midfielders and no one else to play right back so why not play Verma there?
I would agree that the reason that Verma was offered a deal was that he can play in more than one position. He's an option for us in the centre of midfield, on the right wing, if we play with a narrow 442 or 3 in midfield, playing just off the forward, right back...

I think it's a stretch though to make him our first choice right back, because for him to be our first choice right back he'd have to be the only right back, meaning a) we'd have no cover there if he got injured and b) he'd have to play at right back and wouldn't be an option in any of the other positions, thus losing the advantage of having a player like him in a small squad.

Durrell Berry isn't under contract at the moment, and won't play until Christmas as best, so we need a plan for the first half of the season. A 6 month deal or loan signing would make a lot more sense than having Verma as the only right back option.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

DJ Gull wrote: Probably not Nicho's choice of character in that case then, Luke young chose to be loyal in return for TUFC carrying him during his injury for most of last season.
Scott Rendell suffered a nasty injury and the Woking suppoters raised thousends for his opperation, and then he leaves at the end of it all.
In fairness Woking had no insurance so the options were either wait and get treated on the NHS with the subsequent delay or raise money to pay for the operation. The fundraising brought the standard of treatment up to the level that any responsible club would have had in the first place.
www.torquayfanstats.com