Segregation

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Segregation

Post by grockle »

Most other clubs in this league do not have segregation. Why do we? When we are struggling to seat all our supporters, and the pop side is heaving, it seems a waste to have so many seats, and standing areas unoccupied. It seems that 1100+ places are reserved for less than 100 fans. My colleague at work goes away watching Eastbourne Borough, usually they have about 10-20 supporters going, sometimes even less. Is it really common sense to give clubs like this so many spaces? I can understand segregation at League level and above, but not at this low level.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Not helped by the behaviour of a small number of our own fans at away games this season
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Teigngull »

Quite simply the answers a resounding NO.
We have all 4 sides of plainmoor available to us at this level, with crowds on the increase & in fighting for the 'best seats' an issue that needs sorting quickly.
You wouldn't see Liverpool, Man Utd, Exeter, Plymouth, Woking etc give up nearly 1500 of their total capacity for the amount of away fans that turn up.
Come on Utd let's turn plainmoor into a proper fortress whilst were in this league & more importantly while we're allowed to.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't know for certain but it wouldn't surprise if the local council has some say in the matter. Because we were once a football league the local council still apply the same health and safety regulations on us.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 08:32
You wouldn't see Liverpool, Man Utd, Exeter, Plymouth, Woking etc give up nearly 1500 of their total capacity for the amount of away fans that turn up.
Yes you would.

Every club in the country has an "away" section and they are often half empty, when we've been crap our fans have rattled around in away ends much larger than our contingent needed.

As we haven't sold out the home sections of the ground at any point I can't see what the issue is?

If we are going for the title in the last few games this might need looking at but until then we have more than enough room in the home areas of the ground to cope with the numbers who will turn up.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by grockle »

[quote=Jerry post_id=234969 time=1546160561 user_id=76]

Every club in the country has an "away" section and they are often half empty, when we've been crap our fans have rattled around in away ends much larger than our contingent needed.

Not at this level they don't.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by grockle »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 08:51 I don't know for certain but it wouldn't surprise if the local council has some say in the matter. Because we were once a football league the local council still apply the same health and safety regulations on us.
Surely H&S regulations should be nationwide and uniform, and not at the whim of some jumped up little Jobsworth.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

grockle wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 11:57 Surely H&S regulations should be nationwide and uniform, and not at the whim of some jumped up little Jobsworth.
Regulations may differ at each step of the pyramid but each club may be assessed according to the most stringent regulations ever applied to them.
Therefore the likes of Stockport County and York City may also suffer from this sort of thing.
Personally in my view the restrictive security measures seem to be more prohibitive nowadays than in the 1970s and 1980s when there was a real problem with public disorder at football matches.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

grockle wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 11:52 Not at this level they don't.
Even the 'Old Firm' game has a reduction in away allocation. Celtic and Rangers normally have an 8,000 ground section allocated for their following fans respectivley. Not this season, both club have allocated only 800 spaces this season due to Rangers intital response of the demand by home supporters.

With our 1,100 away end capacity and approx 600 seat allocated to away supporters that leaves 4,800 for Torquay supporters. Given that we had 3,800 at Boxing Day match that only leaves 1,000 crammed spaces left for our New Years Clash with Truro.

Now I know it's Truro's home game but I think we can expect another bumper crowd (even bigger than the last) and as Masters has decided to remain at Plainmoor for this partiular match to capitalise on the large gate takings one would have thought he would have liked to open up the away end to accomadate more Torquay supporters (for their cash) and allocate up to 200 seats in Bristows Bench for Truro supporters.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

On New Years Day Truro City are deemed to be in charge as it is their Home Game.

I foresee serious problems.

First of all EVERYONE has to pay cash only at the gate. This includes season ticket holders.

If we attract 4,000 plus I predict the KO will be delayed.

To all fans I say get to Plainmoor EARLY and try hard to have the right money .Remember CASH ONLY!!!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I understand that in the Premier league & EFL that 2000 (minimum) spaces are to be made available for away support or if that's not possible 10% of total capacity is to be given, so in our case that would mean what exactly ?
2000 spaces or 650 ?
I don't quite understand.
Do Man Utd give 75000 tickets to opposition or 2000 tickets ?
Well I understand that a Manchester United regularly give up 3000 spaces for away support for premier league games & 10% of capacity (7500) for domestic cup games this information has been given to me by a long term Man U season ticket holder (25yrs) from Dawlish.
At National league south level we are giving up approx 1650 spaces approx 25% of capacity. When there's clearly no need for us to !!
It's all very well saying " oh we don't need to utilise this & that stand because there were only this amount here today & capacity is such & such "
The pop side vs Truro was packed full & where we were standing was at times uncomfortably squashed , I know some youngsters would like to use the Babbacome end this season, so why not let them? It's got to be worth opening up for our advantage than giving it over for what ? 35-60 at most on average !!
We are missing a trick here. Can no one else see it ?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not 100% sure how it works. I know as a football league we were bound by the green guide for stadium safety, not sure that applies to us anymore, but I believe we still have a safety advisory group, usually made up from the police, fire, local council and the clubs stadium manager, I'm guessing if they say there's to be segregation at Plainmoor then so be it.

However, all that said above the answer to all of this is gord darn simple, and would cost less than a peanut. As already said by a few, move the netting over in Bristow's bench turning more seating over to home fans, then with a few bits of scaffolding make a temporary barrier half way along the away terrace, could it be any more simple ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 15:54 I understand that in the Premier league & EFL that 2000 (minimum) spaces are to be made available for away support or if that's not possible 10% of total capacity is to be given, so in our case that would mean what exactly ?
2000 spaces or 650 ?
I don't quite understand.
Do Man Utd give 75000 tickets to opposition or 2000 tickets ?
Well I understand that a Manchester United regularly give up 3000 spaces for away support for premier league games & 10% of capacity (7500) for domestic cup games this information has been given to me by a long term Man U season ticket holder (25yrs) from Dawlish.
At National league south level we are giving up approx 1650 spaces approx 25% of capacity. When there's clearly no need for us to !!
It's all very well saying " oh we don't need to utilise this & that stand because there were only this amount here today & capacity is such & such "
The pop side vs Truro was packed full & where we were standing was at times uncomfortably squashed , I know some youngsters would like to use the Babbacome end this season, so why not let them? It's got to be worth opening up for our advantage than giving it over for what ? 35-60 at most on average !!
We are missing a trick here. Can no one else see it ?
Premier League away allocation is minimum 10% or 3,000. Hence Bournemouth only give about 1,200.
Cup games are 10 or 15%, so can be 9,000 or so at Man Utd. Segregation or police advice can reduce away allocation.
I don't think there is any set figure for National League South but we are clearly giving more than necessary, although if we are to offer seats & terrace and maintain segregation the only reduction could be by one block of seats.
Truro set the rules on Tuesday but other than that we could potentially offer only a block of seats to most away teams.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

You can guarantee that only a very small number of those intending to attend the Truro game will have read (i) the club website (ii) these fora and so will have no idea about the different arrangements. Looks like trouble ahead! (I shall be going to the Whitby Town vs Scarborough game which is (a) all ticket and (b) segregated. We might (emphasise might) get a 2000 crowd.
Busterjames
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Busterjames »

grockle wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 11:57 Surely H&S regulations should be nationwide and uniform, and not at the whim of some jumped up little Jobsworth.
So very true I’m afraid.
I will get blasted by a vocal few on here for saying this (but I know and appreciate others who have always stood/stuck up for me) The problem lies with Andrew Candy and his meddling with H&S!
I was once told he reported the Club for not having enough “safe” run off area between the pitch, Astro and Bench..., you couldn’t make it up how much unnecessary meddling goes on by him! Takes a nice little cut now again as usual :rules:

Shocking problem with tickets but I also always see plenty of free tickets or “comps” given out to the same faces who do nothing for the Club!

Grrrrr, I’m so happy we have turned our season around with performances BUT lots still needing to change.