Torquay United v Weston-super-mare 2/3/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

crumb of comfort. I just got in from Hungerford v Woking and Woking are in no great form themselves. Fortunate to get a point with a wind assisted goal and very little threat otherwise . Squeaky bum time for all the top teams.
TUST #324
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 17:31 The alarming thing is losing at Home, with the run in I like many others was confident we would win most of our home games and pick one a two away wins that would see us through as champions. No matter what anyone else does.
I think we must move on with a win tues! But make no mistake this is a shocking result!
Chelmsford will really fancy there chances in Tues night! And GJ has to get this young team right mentally! After this shocking defeat Tues is a must win where as before I would have taken a draw!
The (super) Chelmsford who only drew 2-2 at home to Concord?? :}

I think that Weston are our/the Guiseley of NL South...... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Torquay4eva wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 17:47 Honestly the worst performance I have seen from a manager today. Move over Johnstone let someone who knows what they are doing take charge!!
Slightly harsh don't you think? I agree somethings changed since Downes came in but a bit early to start apportioning blame to any individual just yet without knowing the facts.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

No, not GJ. It's all MY fault. My lucky socks were in the wash - I can't cope with 2 matches per week. We'll win on Tuesday :-D
TUST member 200 ;-)
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Are you for real? Johnson is the best manager we have had for years maybe longer! To be fair you haven’t got a clue or you are clearly not a TUFC Fan!
Torquay4eva
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torquay4eva »

notnow wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 18:09 Are you for real? Johnson is the best manager we have had for years maybe longer! To be fair you haven’t got a clue or you are clearly not a TUFC Fan!
I stand by my statement. We should not be losing to them. IF we get promoted we will be back here the season after if he's still in charge.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

I thought the managerial duo were strangely quiet on the touchline today
Probably a good time to freshen the squad for the run in
Overall a very poor WSM team who resorted to blatant time wastingfrom the moment they scored. a poor performance by the Gulls who seemed to take 60 minutes to realise the wind was strong and passing the ball was a better option the hoofing it out of play
The worst ref that we have had at plainmoor for many a long day A total disgrace
Overall very disappointing but hopefully only a blip
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

notnow wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 18:09 Are you for real? Johnson is the best manager we have had for years maybe longer! To be fair you haven’t got a clue or you are clearly not a TUFC Fan!
I think the original comment may have been tongue in cheek.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Don't usually like to blame the ref, but I've never seen a ref as utterly useless as that tosser. And, yes, I'm including Brett Huxtable in my consideration. WTF was he on? Bizarre decisions. If Torquay players even looked at a Weston player, he seemed to blow for a free kick, but it looked at though Weston could pretty much stab one of our players and he wouldn't do anything. Once it became clear to Weston that they could get away with murder, they took full advantage of it.
TUST member 203
Torquay4eva
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torquay4eva »

Ah come on I had a nibble
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Calling for Johnsons head is about as ludicrous as Torquay calling themselves a football team based purely on todays performance. Yet again WSM did their homework on the opposition more professionally than we did. In fact, if the management had said we know nothing about the opposition I would not have been surprised. I personally think that things have gone backwards since Downes came into the dugout, I heard them both today shouting different things to the same player at the same time, you cannot have that in any setup. I have seen players have off days but never a team cumulatively having an off day. While Reid normally only has to fart and he appears in the top five of best players today he was the best advert for amateur hour, I lost count of the amount of chances he managed to fluff. but he was by no means alone in being abysmal, Janneh and Kalala kept playing in the same position, the two central defenders felt like they were meeting for the first time and they will be eaten alive if we get promotion.

Agreed the ref was very, very bad and the linesman on Bristows bench side had my sympathy as he seemed older than my father and couldn't stretch to a full run, but regardless we are thirty games into the season, we know the officials are rubbish at this level, we should know how to play them not make their job easy .

WE GOT NOTHING FROM THIS GAME, WE DESERVED NOTHING.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Being sat next to a Weston director and also being an ex Weston player I would have settled for a draw today but another lapse of concentration leaving no cover going for a winner was absolutely barmy. This is what I was trying to get over in my post last week we need a talker at the back. Niate was caught to casual a few times today and deserves a bollocking for it but he also did a lot of good things. :keepie:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That was a first half performance a la Owers time!

Surely Johnson must have got a message to the players in that first half to stop hoofing the ball in the air given the wind conditions. He hopefully also tried to get word to McDonald to stop booting the ball as hard as he could to give our midfield/forwards half a bloody chance to get near it before it ran right through! and pass out from the back ……….. although the penny didn't seem to drop until the second half when he started doing that, when the wind conditions held the bloody ball up anyway !!

We don't seem to be able to cope with teams that want to bully us and W-S-M were allowed to do that all afternoon.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

That was a poor performance. From the back right through to the front we were well off today.
First half we couldn't establish any kind of tempo or control on the game. The ball was in the air far too much. Players giving the ball away, it was just way off. Maybe WSM deserve credit for their game plan but it was just like it was at the away game at WSM.
We started far better in the second half and for about 20min I don't think WSM had a kick of the ball. They defended in numbers and didn't seem to tire. There keeper has made a good save. But everything just seemed to off target or couldn't get a shot away or make the wrong decision.
Off course the players gave everything, never gave up but it wasn't to be today.
I do think that the squad needs a player or two. I think Opi is a big loss to our squad.
WSM 2nd goal, Connor take the player down.

Now the referee. He has to rate in my all time WORST top 3 referees that I have ever seen at Plainmoor. I just cannot begin to describe what a complete useless official he is.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We've all seen games with the time wasting -

Chippenham springs to mind. Its all very well saying counteract it - but not that easy if the ball is out of play for about 25 minutes of every half.

The squad does seem a little light though. It wasn't really the disaster that it could have been with Woking and Billericay failing to win. Weston won't win another game this season - that's just the way it goes.

If we win on Tuesday we are in a great position though.