St Albans v Torquay United 27/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It is difficult to state what the core supporter number is for Torquay, certainly more than the 1300 or so of us that braved freezing February evenings of the season before last to watch a game that did not fall within any definition of football that I have read , not yet the 4500 to 5000 that we saw the last few matches, There will always be new additions to the fold, its keeping them that's important. I do not believe the gates will be as large overall next season, unless we run away with it, which will be a big ask. Costs will be higher, the away following with exceptions will not be as many. But in one respect I totally agree with Johnson, the game ,win, lose or draw is about entertainment, to go away from the ground thinking we murdered them, or we were desperately unlucky, or we could have had five, or that was close we got away with one but god did we battle and never give up. I think I have seen more goals scored in the last ten minutes this season through pure effort than any preceding season for a long time and that's the Johnson factor.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Teigngull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 11:25 It's the way it is. A winning and successful attracts more followers (glory hunters?) and when the going gets tough don't expect them to hang around.
As it is 'nation wide' at our level, has been since Noah was a baby & it won't change anytime soon.
This is when the hardcore of supporters come into their own & the 1500 or so of hardy souls that regularly turn out can give themselves a right royal pat on the back for giving such great support through the shitiest of times recently.
I dedicate this season to every single one of you, & you know who you are.
Even though if you ask around it would feel like we'd had full houses every week !
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Just got back from overnight stay. Thought we played really well considering they had everything to lose and it meant nothing to us in terms of league position. Never been to St Alban's before. Nice place with the ground situated in a park next to a cricket pitch. Facilities were basic but found our hosts very hospitable and stewards very friendly. They had a couple of useful wingers who I would imagine would cause other teams problems but the quality of Davis and Winter showed thoughout. Great start and finish but fair play to St Alban's who had good spells either side of half time. Excellent atmosphere throughout and great mutual appreciation at the end from players, management and fans. I would expect Evans to be top of the list when future loanees are discussed on Wednesday. This year has proved the value of a settled team and loan signings buying into the cause. Hopefully we can have more of the same next season. It's been a memorable season and well done to all who predicted us winning by 10 points,(not me).
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I believe it was the Woking manager Alan Dowson who was quoted at our game at Hemel Hempstead ( he was there on a spying mission) who said we'd win the league by 10 points!
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

nickbrod wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 19:15 I believe it was the Woking manager Alan Dowson who was quoted at our game at Hemel Hempstead ( he was there on a spying mission) who said we'd win the league by 10 points!
Yes, I do remember. How funny. The saying 'Be careful what you wish for' comes to mind!!