TUFC 2019/20 Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Gary Johnston is a very demanding Manager and to him the right temperament and personality are just as important as ability.

I have little doubt that come Mid July we will all be chuffed to bits with the Squad Gary assembles.

Success breeds success and good players want to play for successful Managers.

I have no doubt the Bristol City connection will continue to benefit both Clubs.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Who the hell is Gary Johnston?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with the majority of what Trucker 49 has said. I do not think Reid will be around next season, If he is, then he will have to learn or re learn a new role because we have most definitely misses a natural centre forward this season, If he scores a dozen league goals next season at National level I will be very surprised. We need an experienced keeper, one that can compete for the No 1 slot. I was a lot more confident having Bass between the posts, he was far calmer under pressure. So two more forwards, two midfielders, and two backs and that leaves according to Johnson another four players to fill in holes, do they have genuine utility players anymore?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

culmstockgull wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 18:50 I agree with the majority of what Trucker 49 has said. I do not think Reid will be around next season,
I don't see him signing for a club in the NLS or NLN, given that he's just been promoted and won player of the season. If he does leave, it'll either be to another NL team or maaaaybe a League 2 side taking a punt. If it's the former, it's basically guaranteed he scores at 3 past us.

I say he's earned the chance to play for us next season. If, after 10-15 games, it's not working out, then we should have a plan B; which is why having a bigger squad (GJ has said 22, I believe) is important.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Teigngull wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 15:58 ........ & as another very knowledgeable fellow has stated on his BTPIR site.
Correction: you can't use 'very knowledgeable' and 'BTPIR site' in the same sentence. :whistle:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Lloyder5 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 16:34 m
I very much hope both have a very successful season. Asa's leadership has been central this season. I just have a nagging feeling he might struggle with the step up in pace, much like Chris Hargreaves did after promotion. I really hope I am wrong. Reid will get fewer chances, which is my source of doubt but 32 goals, 14 assists and the league's player of the season, should give him bags of confidence.
Asa Hall is only 32! Hargreaves was 37 then! Bit of a difference.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Seems bizarre some have written off players who (under GJ) basically won the league in by ten points in thirty games. Johnson gave ten players contracts for next season knowing he was planning for the National League and I trust his judgement in that he thinks they are good enough. We won this league with a record points total, a record of goals scored and a record for fewest goals conceded - all after being bang average for a quarter of the season under Owers.

View1 is right - any National League side would be overjoyed at signing a striker who scored a record number of goals and was voted player of the year for the whole league by their peers in the league below. We already have him!

We have not sneaked through the playoffs with a lucky promotion here and the team has grown so much that it is unfair to compare individuals from previous performances (often in positions and tactics unsuited to their natural game) from previous seasons at the level we are entering.

It is nice (for once!) to go into the summer with a strong backbone already in place and I am sure what we will add will further strengthen the squad that has performed magnificently under GJ.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I agree with Rich
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Concur - I think we have a good player base to build upon. Three or four quality permanent signings augmented by a few decent loanees could see the bandwagon rolling on.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

for me i'd like an older head at CB for Cameron to learn from and if we are to continue with wingers and Reid upfront a 6ft plus striker for some headed goals and hold up play!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Wolborough wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 11:52 Concur - I think we have a good player base to build upon. Three or four quality permanent signings augmented by a few decent loanees could see the bandwagon rolling on.
Agree with this. We haven't looked in this good a shape entering a new season for donkey years. Even if some quality additions are needed we still have the basis of a very good squad with some depth for a change.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Teigngull »

tomogull wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 00:20 Correction: you can't use 'very knowledgeable' and 'BTPIR site' in the same sentence. :whistle:
I take it you're at odds with Merses excellent in depth knowledge of all things TUFC & the non league football scene.
We'd be a lot less in the loop without him, let me tell you :slap:
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Furthermore when comparing the players we have already got with those at the start of the 2017/18 season I believe we are already ahead of things for the next campaign.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I've contributed to this thread and haven't written players off at all, apart from Naite, as said it's nothing personal, he just allows attacking players to get the wrong side of him to easily, and is far too slow, think it more than played it's part in his two red cards (forgive me if I have that wrong) many forwards in the league above are of FL pedigree he will be found out big style, and to me the jury is out on MacDonald much improved, but more work to be done , but GJ knows more than I ever will and we all trust him. I think the rest of the squad coupled with good recruitment will be fine.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 12:50 For me I’d like an older head at CB for Cameron to learn from
Agree. He is a talent and would develop even further with an experienced head alongside him.