TUST Updates

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

HERALD EXPRESS - FANS' ZONE

Nick Brodrick, TUST board member and Supporter Liaison Officer, has recently contributed articles to the Non-League Football Paper and the Herald Express. He has now been given the opportunity to write a weekly column for the latter under the heading "Fans' Zone". His first piece from this week's edition is reproduced below.

Nick is a retired headteacher, life-long supporter and season ticket holder in the Family Stand. He travels from his home in North Somerset to all home games and TUST meetings.

YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Welcome to my first weekly column discussing a fans’ view of life in lockdown. This time a year ago we were all wildly celebrating the club becoming National League South champions following a 2-0 home win over Eastbourne Borough, the culmination of a season transformed by the arrival of Gary Johnson.

I suspect that, despite all his positivity and vast managerial experience, little did he know when he replaced Gary Owers that his promises would be fulfilled before the season’s end.
And what an occasion we were to look forward to in a packed Plainmoor at the final home match against Hungerford on a warm, sunny late April Saturday as the players entered the pitch against a sea of gold waving flags.

Now fast forward…..In these unprecedented times clearly the coronavirus pandemic is very much, and quite rightly, the most important matter on people’s minds as we all follow the Government’s instructions to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives.

But how many of us are missing our Saturday fix?

Those of us suffering Saturday football withdrawal symptoms are having to find other occupations: home schooling maybe, getting to grips with those challenging maths questions, or gardening or painting a bedroom and, of course, not forgetting taking the dog for your’s and its one walk of the day.

Social media is awash with ingenious ideas for keeping busy but non more so than Captain Tom Moore raising a phenomenal amount of money for the NHS walking his garden and now singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ with Michael Ball.

From one fantastic captain to another as Gulls’ skipper, Asa Hall, gave an exclusive upbeat and positive interview for last week’s Yellow Army podcast in which he explained how he’s keeping his body and mind strong through his weekly exercises and running along with quiz competitions with wife and teammates. Asa, like all us fans, is dreaming of when football is back on the calendar.

What can we expect when that day comes?

There is an argument that says many football fans will once again flock back to stadiums in a carnival atmosphere but on the other side of the coin there are likely to be those who will, for one reason or another, have fallen out of love with football.

As the TUST supporter liaison officer I really think that local fans will return to Plainmoor because clubs like Torquay United are the heart and soul of the community and in the years it will take to restore trust and faith in rebuilding society, football clubs will need their loyal supporters more than ever and vice versa.

That Tom Moore and Michael Ball chose “You’ll Never Walk Alone’ to sing , what is a famous football anthem cannot be a coincidence. And what a powerful message it sends out, one of hope and togetherness; roll on football restarting

To all fellow Yellow Army fans, stay safe.

SUPPORT TUST - SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust
TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

Nick Brodrick, TUST board member and Supporter Liaison Officer, has been given the opportunity to write a weekly column for the Herald Express under the heading "Fans' Zone". Here is this week's edition.

TORQUAY UNITED’S FAMILY SENDS OUT A MESSAGE OF HOPE

During this lockdown world we’re living in, a week in football terms seems like a very long time. Nearly every day brings new football speculation by pundits - players, managers, ex-managers, so which story to believe?

Against all the odds the Yellow Army were, as Gary Johnson puts it, clinging to the hope that somehow, sometime, the remaining matches of the season would be played eventually. But the National League vote to end the season put paid to that. With social distancing very likely to continue, even to the end of the year or maybe longer, it is hard to see how football matches with spectators can be played.

We, at TUST, at our virtual board meeting last week, agreed that the season should be ended. Whilst there might be a case for the Premiership to play behind closed doors in order to fulfil their TV commitments, at National League level football without spectators isn’t football. Simon Hallett, the Plymouth Argyle chairman, has recently said, “ If it’s not safe for a crowd to watch a contact sport, how can it be safe for a participant?”

With the season over the next big question is how to conclude it: null and void? points per game? promotion and relegation? play offs? With decisions still to be made by the Premiership and EFL that leaves the National League out on a limb.

These are times for strong, decisive leadership.

Last Friday a senior National League source was quoted in a national newspaper saying that National League clubs should go into “hibernation” and only return when crowds were again permitted, maybe not until 2021.

Yellow Army fans can, though, take hope and comfort from Gary Johnson’s recent optimistic comments when he talks about how the club’s owner and CEO are sticking with sponsors, the staff and players- the Torquay United family.

*************************************************************************************************************************
Having made my debut in the column last week there are no doubt a number of you wondering who I am; a Torquay United supporter of some 55 years and proud to be one of the Yellow Army. Many of you who sit in Bristow’s and the Family Stand will recognise me, during our National South Championship season, as the MatchDay Ambassador co-ordinator, along with my TUST colleague Rob, meeting and greeting.

This was a very popular club/ TUST innovation and we enjoyed chatting with fellow fans who appreciated our availability not to mention taking advantage of handed out stickers, balloons and badges, the latter being most sort after by the adults.

What was most enjoyable was meeting children who were attending their first ever match, to exiles down for a weekend to fans of Southampton, Spurs, West Ham, Leicester to name but a few who were in Torbay for a holiday.

Finally, on a sad note, those who follow the various Torquay forums, will know of the passing of Andrew Holland, aka Westyorkshiregull, at the age of 40; my condolences to Andy’s family and friends.

So to all in the Yellow Army, stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

Nick Brodrick, TUST board member and Supporter Liaison Officer, has been given the opportunity to write a weekly column for the Herald Express under the heading "Fans' Zone". Here is this week's edition.

We had our fingers crossed - but thanks for the goals, Jamie.

When Gulls’ fans heard the retained list was imminent there will have been many with fingers crossed hoping top goalscorer Jamie Reid would be staying but it’s not to be. However, grateful thanks from the Yellow Army for his fantastic goal scoring contributions at his home town club.

Sorry, too to lose Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala , on his day a game changer. Nevertheless the club is to be thanked for backing Johnson’s proactive work in tying down the majority of the current squad as Clarke Osborne continues to bankroll not only these players’ contracts but also giving the manager the green light to bring in probably four marquee signings and four loans.

With the club’s official website currently running regular instalments of the club’s history it had me reminiscing about the first ever Torquay match I watched; no doubt readers of this column will be able to recall theirs. January 9 1965 and FA Cup fever had hit Torbay. It was, of course, the classic Third Round tie with the Gulls up against a star studded Tottenham Hotspur. There I was, a schoolboy, standing with my father, in a packed Plainmoor and watching open mouthed a certain player who was to become my all-time favourite, Robin Stubbs, with those two memorable goals in the final five minutes to level the match at 3-3 and a replay. I was hooked!

And now in my seat in the Family Stand, who is it who sits right behind me in the Directors’ Box? Yes, you’ve guessed it, Robin Stubbs

With the Government reviewing the current lockdown restrictions , football authorities are predictably latching onto this and making plans for re-starting matches. But what to make of the behind closed doors squabbling that appears to be going on with the Premiership?

Finishing the season come what may is the message but all down to money; matches at neutral venues but Brighton saying no way; players required to park their cars three lengths apart - and then close up and personal on the pitch. Reminds me of trying to referee a break time playground dispute.

Currently the National League is unable to decide upon promotion or relegation or whether to hold the play-offs which they’ve asked clubs to comment upon but sources close to the League suggest that, at their board meeting due to be held yesterday, they’ll be cancelled. The National League, though, await EFL decisions who, in turn, wait for the Premiership.

Looking ahead at football in general the FA will have to write into their rules what happens when the next curtailment of a season is repeated, so every club knows where they stand. But so far the only rule change would seem to be that players spitting will be punished with a yellow card.

To end here’s a competition to enter. There are no prizes, it’s just for fun!

‘Three Word Fun’ - can you sum up in three words how you feel about missing football?
Send your three words and your name to: [email protected] and I’ll print the best answers next week.

To all fellow Yellow Army fans - stay safe!

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

Question mark still over season tickets after end of football.

Give credit where credit is due so congratulations to Dom Mee for his recent informative and entertaining series of interviews with the manager and players posted on the club’s website. In times of trouble it’s reassuring to hear from those at the top, as leadership is so important and the Queen’s VE Day message last Friday was a big morale boost.

Following on from that lead it would be good then, if Dom could pin down Chairman and owner Clarke Osborne for a conversation. Boreham Wood’s Danny Hunter, for example, gives his club’s supporters his heartfelt opinions, keeping them well informed.

One question Mr Osborne could be asked, on behalf of the club’s season ticket holders, as now the season is over, is does the club have a policy about the lost five remaining home fixtures. There may well be some fans who have sadly lost their jobs or been furloughed who would welcome a refund.

To be clear we, at TUST, agreed at a recent board meeting that where possible season ticket holders should be encouraged to ‘donate’ the remainder of their purchase to the club. For those in need perhaps the club could ask them to get in contact so as to discuss the issue on a case by case basis.

When there is clarity about when the 2020-21 season will start the club could ‘reward’ those existing season ticket holders, who donated, by reflecting this in a discount on their renewal.

In the A-Z series being featured in the Yellow Army podcast, last week’s letter H reminded me of two others not mentioned. One was Gordon Hines, who was the paper’s Torquay United correspondent when I first started following the Gulls; he was always approachable, keen to chat, and I used to enjoy reading his columns.

The other is Kevin Hill’s dad, Bob, who used to sit two seats from me in the Family Stand. He was always vocal in his opinions and on one famous occasion, after Kevin had had no protection from the referee, at the end of the match Bob raced from his seat down the steps, before vaulting the wall behind the goal and running to the nearest corner flag, wrenching it out of the socket before a couple of stewards ‘rescued’ him from doing any harm. We all sat open mouthed but laughing at what was a mad, surreal moment.
After Mike Bateson had a word we didn’t see Bob for a while!

I’ve always felt there’s a strong connection between sport and music and this has been reinforced with recent revelations. We’ve had manager Gary Johnson duetting with his wife, Caron, singing their rendition of ‘ We’ll Meet Again’ and then our very own Sports Editor’s ‘Gulls Flying High’ on last week’s podcast. Both these reminded me of Dick Edwards’ album, ‘Big City Boy’, in my LP collection. Edwards joined United from Aston Villa in 1970 and swiftly became a fan favourite being Player of the Season in consecutive years. And more recently local singer Torbados who sang ‘Torquay Torquay’ to the tune of ‘New York New York’ on the pitch before a home match.

Finally there’s been some cracking ‘Three Word Fun’ suggestions but I thought I’d leave the competition open for one final week. To enter you need to send your three words to show what you’re missing about football to: [email protected]
Recent entries: ‘Bring Back Football’, ‘The Gulls Nest’, ‘Null and Void’ and one optimistically missing ‘Play Off Final’.

As always to fellow Yellow Army fans, stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

Some poetic justice for Barrow and Stevenage perhaps?

For football fans these Covid-19 times are very strange as there seem to be more football stories about off the pitch matters than there ever were in a typical week when football matches were actually played.

Debate continues to rage within the Premiership with virtual board meetings, meetings with clubs, meetings with players and meetings with managers. What is clear is the Government’s insistence that for everybody’s well being football on TV needs to return. For those who need a football fix, there has begun a trickle of TV matches around the world with the latest being the German Bundesliga but only if you have a BT Sport subscription.

We, as Gulls’ fans, have known for a while that the National League season is over and now have been joined by League Two calling it a day. That decision with the likelihood of Stevenage avoiding relegation surely ends the need for any National League play-offs. All that has to be decided is whether Barrow should have the one promotion place which effectively would replace the EFL’s loss of Bury.

But that’s likely to lead to another round of meetings and legal disputes… off the pitch.

It seems a little ironic that the two clubs in contention for relegation out of and promotion into the EFL should be Stevenage and Barrow.

Barrow, some think unjustly, lost their Football League place in 1972 when they were voted out. Now they’re hoping to be voted back in. Stevenage, meanwhile, were denied promotion in 1996 from the then Conference, despite being champions, on a technicality - their ground being judged to have insufficient facilities. Of course we all know who benefitted from no promotion from the Conference that year as the team which finished bottom of the Football League was……!

Should Stevenage stay and be joined by Barrow, for many that would be poetic justice.

That reminds me of a more recent rivalry between Stevenage and United; anyone recall the 2011 Play-Off Final at Old Trafford?

One of the bonuses during this lockdown has been the resourcefulness of those bringing interviews with former players. TorquayTalk has had Mark Ellis while Richard Hughes in the Yellow Army podcast has had great talks with Kevin Hill and last week Martin Gritton.

So that got me thinking: which ex-Gull would you like to hear from? Send your nomination to: [email protected].

Two stories have caught my eye: firstly Viv, who sits near me in the Family Stand, started to bring her grandson, Austin, to matches. Austin featured on the club’s website for having donated his quilt covers to a local children’s charity. So Austin whose name are you putting on the back of your replica shirt now that ‘Reidy’ has gone?

Secondly, long standing Gulls’ fan Jim Ward , from London, wrote to us at TUST, after reading this column explaining how he chose the team to support as a 7 year old, picking the name from a newspaper because of the letter Q in Torquay! Jim celebrated his 75th birthday last week.

Finally, thanks to those who sent in suggestions for ‘Three Word Fun’ about what you’re missing about no football. My two favourites are linked: Bryan from Torquay missing ‘The Gulls’ Nest’ and Phil from London missing ‘Half Time Beers’, with “Saturday Never Comes’ from Rick a close third.

To all Yellow Army fans, stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

Indecision means we fill the void with speculation

A week ago in this column I was reflecting on the likelihood of Stevenage remaining in League 2 and Barrow filling the place vacated by the demise of Bury.

Within a day that was turned on its head so not even the vision of Mystic Meg can foresee what is likely to happen next in this sea of uncertainty called off the pitch football predictions.

The trouble with indecision is that we fill the void with all kinds of speculations: will a number of EFL clubs and others go out of business the longer there is no football with spectators? Should the National League join League 2 and become regionalised with North and South divisions? Should there be an EFL League 3?

Gulls’ boss Gary Johnson likes the idea of a regional enlarged League 2 and he’s not the only non-league manager to say this as Havant & Waterlooville’s Paul Doswell thinks the same.

Will Leagues 1 & 2 have salary caps from next season and will their squads be limited to 20?

To my mind this uncertain situation will continue until the 2020-21 season has a definite start date.

What is known is that with around 1400 footballers across the EFL out of contract at the end of June and with National League clubs releasing players too, those United players given new contracts by the club’s owner owe him a big thank-you.

It’s a funny old game especially for Paul Dempsey who during his commentary of a Bundesliga match for BT Sport last weekend - from his home in Ireland - had to contend with the Tesco delivery man ringing his doorbell four times during the game!

For many, football behind closed doors is pretty sterile but for the National League and below it must be a non-starter as it cannot be financially sensible or possible. As Gary Johnson says, “ Fans make a football match.”

No doubt there is a debate to be had about it but surely no fans = no football.

Still no news on season tickets. Exeter City’s chairman Julian Tagg was quoted on DevonLive last week, “ A number (of season ticket holders) have already said they don’t want their money back, saying they want to see it used to help the club.” Have our club contacted any Gulls’ ST holders yet?

Lancashire Cricket wrote to their members last week offering the chance of “loyal member” status if they donated their subscription (season ticket) to the club and in return are offered a 25% discount for next year with an invitation to a thank-you dinner.

Just a thought …..

Even if some year groups return to school there will be no school sports days this summer so the Youth Sport Trust has launched a National School Sports Week at Home starting on June 20. Run in partnership with Sky Sports the UK-wide campaign will give families, schools, sports clubs and communities the opportunity to engage in a series of virtual sporting challenges.

Maybe the club, through its Torquay United Community Sports Trust (TUCST) could join in.

Talking of TUCST, who TUST work closely with, it’s good to hear that they have been running virtual sessions with their Senior Gulls and Girls’ football teams. And Community Manager Jamie McInnes with his Assistant, Matt Green, have been helping the elderly and vulnerable with shopping and prescription collections. Good community work!

There’s one more week left to nominate your favourite ex-Gull for an interview. How about Tim Sills or Guy Branson whose forthright opinions would be interesting? Send your name to: [email protected].

As always to all Yellow Army fans, stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

TUST board member and Supporter Liaison Officer Nick Brodrick's latest column in this week's Herald Express

GARY JOHNSON: ‘ THEY HAVE TO BE THE RIGHT FISH IN THE FISH TANK ‘

With a feast of football to hit the TV screens in two week’s time even those armchair fans who don’t subscribe to Sky, BT, Amazon Prime will be able to watch some of the 92 Premiership matches and FA Cup ties for free on either Sky or the BBC.

Having been starved of English football for so long, watching games at home will be a different experience for us football fanatics who really prefer being in a stadium with friends and family participating in all the noise and banter.

But hang on, in a normal season in a normal world you would be forgiven if you thought from the inventiveness of those wanting to enhance this TV football watching without fans in the ground that it was April 1st.

How about this?

A Japanese smartphone app will allow fans to send virtual cheers - and jeers - to sports events played at closed stadiums. Users will be able to tap the app to deliver reactions via speakers at the grounds. Or in Denmark, club AGF Aarhus have emerged as pioneers of the behind closed doors era, creating the world’s first virtual grandstand with supporters beamed into the ground via Zoom. Those with ‘tickets’ to the game will have their faces shown live to the players and cameras.

Meanwhile closer to home what do the Yellow Army think about cardboard fans to the rescue? Apparently there is a significant interest from a number of Premiership clubs in replicating the 13,000 cardboard cut-outs that lined the seats for a recent Borussia Monchengladbach fixture.

The first English team to join The Be At The Game project is non-league Isthmian Premier club Lewes. At a cost of around £25 the Yellow Army could be immortalised - in cardboard - at Plainmoor. I know some of the guys I sit with in the Family Stand would think this a big improvement!

It was enlightening to learn the thoroughness that Gary Johnson and his team go through before signing players. He explained in last week’s club interview, as he tracks a couple of experienced pros, the key qualities they look for: a strong, fit character on and off the pitch, young and hungry, motivated especially in training sessions, competitive and respectful - of the manager, his team mates and the fans.

As the boss cryptically says, “ They have to be the right fish in the fish tank.”

Talking of players signing, it’s good to know that the club’s academy is beginning to produce potential first team players with JJ Evans and Owen Price the latest to join the pro ranks following in the footsteps of Olaf Koszela and Louie Slough.

Would it be too much to hope that Torquay United could produce home grown £million players like our neighbours have at Exeter City?

A couple of week’s ago we, at TUST, learnt of Jim Ward choosing the club to support because of the letter Q. Well, I’ve received another message this time from Laurie Walker who was also attracted to the letter Q! The good news is that Laurie has converted his daughters and their families into three season ticket holders.

Which ex-Gull would you enjoy being interviewed I asked. No one player stood out but these were suggested: Dave Caldwell, Rodney Jack, Tim Sills, Lee Sharpe and Neville Southall. Over to the Sports Editor.

Gary Johnson hopes the National League new season will start in line with the EFL, if this is behind closed doors would you pay for your cardboard cut-out in your seat at Plainmoor? Email yes or no to: [email protected]

To all the Yellow Army, stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

13th June 2020

TUST board member and Supporter Liaison Officer Nick Brodrick's latest column in this week's Herald Express
PREMIER LEAGUE MUST GIVE FINANCIAL SUPPORT TO GRASS-ROOTS FOOTBALL
Damian Collins MP, the former Chairman of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee has produced a report, ‘A Way Forward for Football’, outlining the financial severity English football clubs are suffering at this time, fearing that 5 or 10 clubs could go bust.

Then last week the Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, explained that one of the Government’s conditions for the Premiership’s Project Restart to go ahead is putting pressure on it to share the financial benefits of playing again through the “entire football family.”

Dowden explained that this distribution of income is a specific challenge he has set elite football, money which is desperately needed at every level of the men’s and women’s game. Last Friday in Parliament Collins was unsure whether the Government is serious and his doubts seem justified as the Premier League CEO Richard Masters has said, “ Until we have been able to get back playing, until we have a clear plan to start season 2020-21 we are dealing with our own situation.”

Will any funds flow to those clubs in need?

So is there anything fans can do? Well, yes, we can sign a petition which seeks to impose a 5% levy on the Premier League’s broadcasting rights back into grassroots football by going to: childrensfootballalliance.com Save Grass-Roots Football

Masters has also been talking up the possibility of a limited number of spectators being allowed from September for the 2020-21 season. The Premier League CEO believes fans will return to stadiums next season on a phased basis. Taking into account social distancing of 2 metres stadiums would have reduced capacity, for example the FA Cup Final on August 1 at Wembley could have 20,000 - 10,000 fans for each club. And were National League football to return what would Plainmoor be allowed - around 1500?

But who would be eligible? Season ticket holders only? And would this figure be financially sustainable? Has the club the infrastructure to organise all this?

What is certain is that the National League has confirmed the original start date of August 8 will “inevitably need to be reviewed and updated.” National League CEO, Mike Tattersall, in a letter sent to all NL clubs last week said, “ In establishing a new commencement date, the board will be guided by the FA, the season dates decided for the EFL, the views of member clubs.”

He went on, “As it stands, it is assumed that it is not practical and sustainable to commence the new season if matches are to be played behind closed doors.”

AFC Fylde’s Chairman goes even further saying the new season shouldn’t start until January 2021 as playing behind closed doors is a non starter because of, “ Zero income, zero sponsorship, zero season tickets, zero hospitality.”

All Yellow Army fans must be encouraged to see further pitch improvements taking place for the second close season running, as Head Groundsman Julian Gouldthorpe and his team are working hard on preparing another great pitch for Gary Johnson’s attacking philosophy, as the manager says, “ Your pitch indicates how you want to play as you want to make your home a fortress.”

Last season the pitch looked terrific and played really well with no postponements for the first time in recent memory. The owner’s financial commitment to this project is much appreciated.

With the club selling a ‘ghost’ match day programme for the Notts County match never played I wonder what future there is for them.

Programmes first appeared when the Football League was founded in 1888 originally as a single sheet scorecard with Aston Villa’s being one of the first with the date, team names and player positions. Over the years programmes have become big business for collectors: the rarest being the 1966 World Cup Final and the most valuable, the FA Cup Final 1882 Old Etonians v Blackburn Rovers at the Kennington Oval, sold for £35,250 in 2013.

But with declining sales and increasing costs EFL clubs voted in 2018 to end the mandatory rule with Stevenage becoming to the first professional club to offer a digital only match day read.

The Gulls’ rebranded 1899 match day programme is essential for collectors and souvenir hunters but for how much longer will the printed programme continue when there are no fans at matches?

Just over a year ago the club held a glittering Presentation Evening for the annual awards for the Top Scorer, Young Player, Player of the Year and fittingly Volunteer of the Year, a really good gesture by the club to recognise a passionate Yellow Army fan. Although this season was ended early surely these trophies should be awarded this year but Volunteer should be Supporter of the Year.

Who would you vote for? Send your nominations to: [email protected]

As always to all Yellow Army fans stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

20th June 2020

Johnson reassured about youth set-up - all good news
For football clubs at Torquay United’s level having a thriving, well organised youth system, with well qualified and enthusiastic coaches is so important.

This was acknowledged by owner Clarke Osborne in a club statement posted in January 2018 when he said, “ The major success, in my opinion, is the reformation of a youth system at our club and the start of building a strong sustainable Academy. It forms the backbone of future sustainable success.”

Reading through comments posted on one of the fans’ forums it would seem that a number of parents of aspiring young footballers had grown disillusioned, for a variety of reasons, with the club’s coaching and training methods. So much so that rival groups - the Chelsea Academy and Saints South-West - have picked up a number of these lads, not to mention the academies at Plymouth and Exeter.

So it was timely and encouraging to hear Gary Johnson tell us how important the link is between the club and South Devon College especially with the arrival of Chris Todd.

The manager explained that he has sat down (via Zoom) for the first time recently with CEO George Edwards to talk though the vision for the future of the youth set up at Plainmoor. Johnson talked about the need to establish a pathway to the first team from Under-8s upwards; putting in a training programme - when, where, how often - and establishing a contact route between parents and coaches.

He also underlined the importance of each child’s education alongside football, organising holiday coaching sessions and having a good scouting system.

The boss concluded that he was reassured to learn that the club will be investing further in the youth set up. All good news but a shame it’s taken this long to be put in place.

A couple of weeks ago I asked readers to let me know if they would want a cardboard cut-out of themselves should National League matches return to Plainmoor behind closed doors. The majority of responses were positive, a handful against with a few undecided. Brighton’s fans seem much more enthusiastic and their first Premiership home match will have many ‘faces’ in the stands. As will Exeter City when they play their home leg of the League 2 Play-Offs against Colchester.

So with TV football returning tonight (Wednesday) are you cut-out for a feast of football ahead?

Tales from the Family Stand. Where I sit with the Directors’ Box directly behind, in the same seat for over 25 years, I have seen and chatted with club and visiting directors, celebrity special guests, ex-players and former managers.

Probably the times I enjoyed the most was when Mike Bateson was owner/chairman. He always had time to chat and I admired how he would stand, after matches, puffing his cigarette at the top of the stairs by the entrance to the box, taking the flak from disgruntled, disappearing supporters after yet another dismal home performance.

There was, though, a famous occasion when Algenon ( a little guy with tie, shirt and blazer) was allowed out of his suitcase from the boardroom as Mike explained, “ He was a smart little feller but unfortunately he could let his mouth get away from him and he once head butted a fan and it all came back on me.” Those were the days!

Whilst this lockdown has continued Gary Johnson has been consistent in wishing the National League to stay in step with the EFL. His hope is that matches - plus some spectators - will, therefore, begin in the National League in September with training beginning in late July/early August. All this very much depends on further relaxations of the current rules.

But as of now Premiership teams going to away fixtures are recommended to fly on the day, teams are able to stay in hotels, avoiding overnight stays but go to the grounds in at least three coaches to comply with social distancing. All well and good for those top clubs that can afford all that but how say, would Hartlepool cope coming down to Plainmoor?

Last week’s column asked about the club’s annual awards for 2019-20 and it would appear there is some progress with this as voting is coming soon.

Player of the Year Jamie Reid again? Or maybe Ben Whitfield - a fan favourite. Young Player? Surely at 22 Matt Buse must be a strong contender - a former National League Player of the Month.

Send your vote to: [email protected]

To all the Yellow Army stay safe

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

24th June 2020

JUNE NEWSLETTER

Chairman's Comments

Dear members and supporters,

Firstly, hoping that all of you and your loved ones have managed to stay well and safe during these past few difficult months, furthermore that those with concerns about their work and businesses may soon see some light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to the day when we can all meet together again at Plainmoor and at Gulls' away matches around the country.

The club's response to the pandemic lockdown has been in my view positive, I am sure providing reassurance for many supporters. The ongoing regular connectivity with the supporter community by TUFC, Dominic Mee, Gary Johnson, the players and key staff members has been very welcome. Moreover, our directors reacted to the onset of the lockdown swiftly and, in my view, correctly. Since then, the club has also shown some commitment in funding our manager to offer new contracts to a significant number of last year's developing squad as well as making further improvements to the pitch.

However, it would be really a positive move for supporters to hear more regularly and directly from our chairman and owner, albeit through his directors which he often prefers. Furthermore, to have direct contact with TUST in order to see how we can move forward in supporting the long term future of our club.

Gary Johnson's recent interview surrounding the cranking up of our youth operation is of particular personal interest, being involved in Torbay and District Schools F.A. football for many years during my career as a primary school sports teacher. I have always taken an interest in our local talent being nurtured by their home town club, having had a lot of involvement with people such as Paul Compton, John James, Frank Prince etc. who shared a mutual interest in the club helping develop local young footballers through their hometown team. I have myself seen so many make the grade during the times when a sound infrastructure was in place, as well as seeing many potentials lost due to various reasons. This can prove to be the lifeblood of a lower league football club. I do hope the club perseveres in the good work of creating an infrastructure whereby parents of local children make the choice to join the Torquay United set up in preference to other good youth development schemes from outside of the area.

Finally, our excellent TUST team has been keeping very active, via emails, phone calls, virtual meetings and bulletins during these challenging times. They also, particularly the media team; our Supporter Liaison Officer via the Fans’ Zone column in the Herald Express and our secretary have continued to regularly update you and ourselves not only on local, but also on national matters that may possibly be of future significance in some way to our club. Meanwhile, we have been keeping in touch with other stakeholders, such as our local community leaders and business fraternity; The Devon Supporters Trusts group; The National Non-League Council; with the recent government football related initiatives and not least the Football Supporters Association (FSA). Of course, you have been able to read about these actions in our bulletins and monthly minutes' summaries.

Looking forward to returning to watch live football again and supporting my local team!
Stay safe and well everyone,
Michel Thomas

Summary of June board meeting

Future financing of football - the Damian Collins MP proposals
The board, having previously considered and endorsed this proposal which has the backing of a number of politicians and the FSA, had written to the three local MPs seeking their support on behalf of local, community based non-league clubs.

The Chairman reported on his recent telephone conversation of well over an hour with Kevin Foster MP regarding this and other football / TUFC related matters including the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Bill and the proposed suspension of the current Football Creditors Rule. KF had indicated his support for the core ideas of the proposals. He was interested to hear of TUST’s own work on its strategic plans and recognised the importance of the Club to the wider community in The Bay, not only those who attend games.

The Secretary reported that he had also received a written response from Anthony Mangnall, MP for Totnes, indicating his support for the Collins’ proposals and for TUST.

Press and media coverage

Nick Brodrick was congratulated on his regular Fan Zone articles for the Herald Express which presented an opportunity to get TUST messages out to the wider public as well as other football related topics.

It was noted that the free Torbay Weekly paper was also providing extensive coverage of TUFC matters including regular interviews with Gary Johnson and articles by former manager Colin Lee and long standing reporter, Dave Thomas. It was felt that the community focused Torbay Weekly may provide a significant challenge to the monopoly of the long established Herald Express.

Nick noted that the Torbay Weekly had run a couple of items after he had included them in his own Herald Express column including the latest announcement that the Torbay Weekly would be running a Player of the Season ballot on behalf of the Club. There was no mention of this on the Club’s own media at the present time. Neither had there had been any announcement from the Club on the subject of curtailed Season Tickets, another issue raised by Nick. Premiership clubs had advised their season ticket holders of plans for refunds or discounts on future tickets but it wasn’t clear what other National League clubs were doing. It was agreed that Nick should survey them.

The Chairman reported that he had attended the virtual curry night with Gary Johnson in attendance and had used the opportunity to flag up the Damian Collins proposals. He had also had informal conversations with Andrew Candy of the Official Supporters Club and Dominic Mee, the Club’s Media & Supporter Liaison Officer covering various subjects of mutual interest. The latter had promised to pass on his comments to the directors.

Radio coverage

At the suggestion of a TUST member, clarification had been sought from the Club about any contingency plans to provide radio coverage in the event of the new season starting behind closed doors, perhaps in partnership with BBC Radio Devon.

Ian Twitchin Trophy 2019/20

As the season had drawn to a premature finish, it was decided that the ITT should be awarded to Kyle Cameron as the player with the most appearances.

It was decided to seek the Twitchin family’s views on how the presentation should take place and, if they wished, an approach would be made to the Club to see if it could be included in the presentation of the Player of the Season and other awards.

Torquay United Community Sports Trust

TUCST had reported that it had remained busy and financially viable during the lockdown period. They were planning for the coming season and looked forward to the continuing partnership with TUST.

The board noted the work done by Jamie McInnes and his colleagues in the community during the current crisis and congratulated them on this which reflected well on the good name of TUFC.

Torquay United Women’s Football Club

The TUWFC committee had written to confirm that TUST’s recent financial support had allowed the team to complete its fixtures until lockdown intervened, therefore enabling the team to retain its status in the Women's national football league pyramid.

Reference was made to TUWFC’s new commercial brochure. The board agreed that it would be happy to promote this in order to help the team gain the sponsorship needed:

https://clubnets.co.uk/TULFC/commercial

Strategy Team

The board received notes of the Strategy Team meeting held on 4th May and a verbal update on actions taken since. Nick Brodrick was thanked for contacting other trusts with a survey on the implications of the Covid pandemic and their fund-raising experiences and the Secretary summarised the responses which would now be considered by the team as part of the on-going planning process.

Nick also advised that a virtual meeting of the Devon Supporters Trust Group was being arranged shortly.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

27th June 2020

MATCHES WITH NO FANS - BUT FANZONES ARE STILL SO IMPORTANT

With all the voting completed and decisions taken for Leagues 1 & 2 and the National League it seems pretty clear that it is Stevenage who will be joining United next season. But could there be a twist? For last Friday Macclesfield, who have had a succession of points deducted for financial irregularities, had a further two point penalty just avoiding finishing bottom by 0.48 on the points per game formula.

However, that may not be the end of the story because Macclesfield have until July 31 to deliver a business plan to the EFL to demonstrate sustainable financial resources for next season and beyond plus taking a suspended four point deduction into the new season.

Should Macclesfield fail to meet the criteria and fall out of the EFL would there be a place in the National League?

Go back to 2007 when Boston United were relegated from League 2 going immediately into administration, they went down two divisions into the, then, Blue Square North. And by the way the other team relegated with Boston? Yes, sadly the Gulls

Congratulations to Barrow as Champions of the National League; after a controversial relegation their 48 year wait to return has been rewarded. Let’s hope our own return is swifter!

How are you enjoying the return of football on TV? Do you watch with the canned crowd noise or without?

Last week Gary Lineker carried out a Twitter poll and found that 75% of fans preferred watching with the crowd noise; Gary Johnson prefers it without - and I’m with him. Takes me back to when I watched Hampton (without the ‘& Richmond’) in the Spartan League in the 1960s when you heard everything the managers and players said.

Another interesting talking point is that since matches in Germany, Spain, Italy and now in the UK have begun, having home advantage seems not to count as much as it did, as there have been more away victories.

But one aspect of the behind closed doors format which will please the Gulls’ boss, who has complained about this on several occasions, is that the ball is in play for longer - 70 minutes instead of the average 60 - because the players, without spectators, have a different mindset. They no longer roll around when injured as there is no interaction with spectators, nor do they argue with the ref as much not even when the ball clearly was over the Aston Villa goal-line!

A welcome change.

Interesting news came last week from Aldershot Town who have teamed up with their supporters to purchase a permanent marquee, complete with wooden flooring, as a family fanzone. It’s designed as a venue for up to 50 fans to meet in before matches to “ take part in fun activities to create a more inclusive and interactive matchday experience, such as face painting and table football.”

It was paid for through the Premier League Fans Fund, the very same route TUST and TUCST went through two years ago to put on its own FanZone - who can forget the excitement of the speed goal and other pre-match entertainment?

Shame then that the club’s reluctance meant there were none of these occasions last season.

Could there be good news for Non-League football coming soon? For Step 6 and upwards either September 5 or 12 are being discussed as possible start times as talks between the Government and the football authorities continue but the FA confirm Non-League football will not restart without spectators.

In his latest chat on ‘Inside Plainmoor’ Gary Johnson says they’ll need 6 weeks for pre-season preparation, so that could be happening around the beginning of August.

He also revealed his player recruitment is down to specific individual players, hinting at two experienced ones - a forward and a defender - but no names until training starts!

Player of the Year? Young Player? Volunteer/Supporter of the Year? Who are you voting for?

You can tell me by emailing: [email protected]

As always to the Yellow Army stay safe.

TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

4th July 2020

CLUBS REAP THE BENEFITS WHEN THEY COMMUNICATE WITH SUPPORTERS
Last month the national Football Supporters’ Association (FSA) published the results of a survey carried out on Premier League clubs’ season ticket refund policies. Most clubs had begun to offer refunds for matchday tickets and pro-rata refunds to season ticket holders or have detailed mechanisms for fans to claim their money back - or donate.

So, on behalf of TUST, my survey of National League clubs - 17 contributed- shows a mixed picture ranging from done nothing - not communicating with supporters - which disappointingly includes Torquay United, to those who have offered a ‘donate or refund’ scheme.

Some clubs have innovative ideas for buying a new ST for 2020-21: Aldershot Town are including their first home FA Cup & Trophy games as ‘extras’; Boreham Wood and Woking are selling theirs for £149 - that’s £6.47 a match; Solihull Moors have a special deal available later this month, 500 season tickets at £100 + vat.

Yeovil Town, though, have gone further as those fans who donated their season ticket remainder will be invited to a special event with players, management and directors.

Pride of place goes to our neighbours Exeter City who, being owned by their supporters’ trust, have been in constant communication with fans. And the result? Exeter supporters have voluntarily donated £60,000 to the club by way of cash donations and foregoing season ticket refunds. As Exeter City Supporters’ Trust chairman Nick Hawker says, “ I think we recognised some years ago that you have to make supporters feel like they own the club ……as a club we make ourselves very accessible to the supporters and that really helps.”

As we have said on many occasions, TUST is here to support Torquay United in the community.
Last week TUST chairman Michel Thomas and myself attended a meeting - via Zoom - of the Devon Supporters Trust Group, with representatives from Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle.

Discussion topics included how our clubs have coped with Covid-19; we heard how Exeter prepared for the play-offs and the costs involved - players’ testing, player wages after coming off furlough, travel and accommodation first to Colchester and then to Wembley; we heard that Colchester at St James’ Park had to use the club bar as a changing room!

The meeting, though, underlined the importance and value of the trusts of Devon’s three professional clubs working together and for each other.

Congratulations to Plymouth Argyle on their promotion to League One but no joy for Exeter City as -the one who got away - Callum Morton ended their hopes with a ‘Man of the Match’ display in Northampton’s emphatic 4-0 Wembley play-off final win at Wembley.
Wise words from Gary Johnson in his latest ‘Inside Plainmoor’ talk when he says that for a club to be successful directors, players and supporters all have to be on board together and believe. He’s clearly relishing returning to pre-season training with the prospect of producing another of his promotion winning teams; he believes he has in Little, Hall, Nemane, Andrews and Whitfield quality ‘assist’ players to provide the ammunition for his new strikers - he has 2 or 3 in mind down from a list of 5 or 6.

Then in an article in Sunday’s ‘Non-League Paper’ Johnson sets out his argument for the National League to become part of the EFL either as League Three or even League Two North & South. Despite the NL play-offs later in the month he reckons all National League clubs should be promoted!
More tales from the Family Stand. From a hazy memory, I think it was 2007, the year we were in League Two and about to be relegated and Leeds United were in League One. Sitting behind me in the Directors’ Box were Ken Bates and his wife.

Bates, the former owner/chairman of Chelsea before selling out to Roman Abramovich, had bought a 50% stake in Leeds in 2005 before becoming sole owner.

We struck up a conversation and it emerged he was in the Bay for a weekend as they enjoyed visiting Torquay’s fine fish restaurant No. 7 on Beacon Terrace overlooking the Harbour.
Early favourites for the 2019-20 awards from suggestions you sent in are Ben Whitfield for Player of the Year and Matt Buse as Young Player.

After a 40-year career as a manager we might have thought Neil Warnock had had enough but no, the former Torquay United manager took over at Middlesborough last week. So this week’s fun question: how many managerial appointments - including non-league and more than once at the same club - has Warnock had?
Send your answer to: [email protected]

To all the Yellow Army stay safe.
TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

11th July 2020

HAVE WE SEEN THE LAST OF THE MAGIC OF THE FA CUP?

With a significant number of lockdown restrictions being eased from last Saturday all football clubs and their supporters wait to find out when stadiums will once again be open for crowds to return. It’s a long waiting game.

Gulls’ boss Gary Johnson is pinning his hopes on pre-season training starting next month and that predisposes that National League fixtures will be on the calendar for some time in September but the FA have already stated that Non-League matches cannot be played behind closed doors - and what club at our level could cope financially without paying customers?

Clubs, though, have been asked to prepare an action plan to ensure their ground is Covid-19 secure.

Before League matches begin what’s the story about the FA Cup for season 2020-21? Some sources claim there will be no replays up to Round 3 or possibly none at all. Remember there are six qualifying rounds, including the extra preliminary round and last year the FA Cup journey began on August 14.

Will the magic of the FA Cup be lost forever if it cannot be played as we’ve all come to love? The match report of last week’s Newcastle United v Manchester City quarter-final in a national newspaper tells of no drama, no sense of occasion, no noise, no thrills and concludes,” quite frankly, if a competition which has earned its place in the nation’s heart because we crave shocks and upsets is going to be played behind closed doors again next season, do not bother playing it at all.”

Meanwhile the National League play-offs are due to be played later this month - starting with Boreham Wood v Halifax on July 17 - and although the Premier League have given £200,000 to help pay for Covid-19 testing my guess is that all these clubs - remember chasing just one EFL place - will be financially out of pocket and what impact will there be for the five clubs which aren’t promoted?

They’ve already discovered, as Boreham Wood did when they tried to sign Chesterfield keeper Shwan Jalal recently, that they can’t register any new players who weren’t already signed up by March 16. And last week Barnet released four key squad players.

With all kinds of businesses shedding employees as the repercussions of lockdown bite, it was probably not a shock that an EFL club went into administration last week, although nobody might have guessed it would be Wigan Athletic, being the first of many more predicted.

These are depressing times for football supporters with their local team the life-blood of their communities, as a vital focal point for friends and families to meet.

When Clarke Osborne took over the club one of his stated goals was to build a new stadium for use in 2020. Last October he scrapped plans for a 10,000 seater arena at Nightingale Park stating that should the club return to the EFL in the next few years it would be at Plainmoor.

Torbay Council has recently submitted a bid to Network Rail and the Department of Transport for a new Torquay Gateway railway station at Edginswell, for a share of a £20 million to fund it.

The project, which could be completed by 2024, would include over 500 homes, commercial space, a school and in the Local Plan the Council expects to facilitate ‘ a suitable range of recreational, leisure and tourism facilities’.

With a new railway station could this include a new stadium for Torquay United?

With Gary Johnson continuing to confirm he’s after two or three experienced players on his shopping list, what chance for his hopes of re-signing some previous loan players - Connor Lemonheigh- Evans maybe - now that his son, Lee, has lost his job at Bristol City?

Regular readers of this column will know I’ve been pressing the club to hold Player of the Season and Young Player awards so it is good to learn that voting is now open. Check the club’s official site for details.

Maybe the other frequent topic - season tickets - will be addressed soon. Talking of which Yeovil Town’s Ticket Office manager contacted me last week with an update of their policy: any outstanding amount owed on season tickets has been automatically credited to supporters’ accounts which can be used against future ticket purchases; there’s also an option to donate the value to the club or have a refund. Seems pretty clear and straightforward underlining the relationship between club and supporters.

To this end the Non-League Paper has teamed up with the Football Supporters’ Association to launch a ‘return to football’ survey which will allow supporters to share their views on the game’s restart by going to: bit.ly/non-league-survey. It’s very quick and easy to complete so please contribute. Results on July 19.

Last week’s fun question asked how many clubs has Neil Warnock managed? Congratulations if you answered 18. Starting in 1980 at Gainsborough Trinity, there’s a long list, including Torquay United in 1993 and now Middlesborough.

Who would you like to see take the second promotion place to the EFL? A return for former League clubs, Notts County or Yeovil Town or Barnet or maybe FC Halifax Town? Or perhaps one out of Boreham Wood and Harrogate Town who have never been in the Football League? Send me your choice to: [email protected]

To all the Yellow Army stay safe.

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We already have a ground that is perfectly adequate for League football. I don't think that TUST should be suggesting alternative sites. There is a risk in any move from Plainmoor under the current owner that the new stadium may not be as promised.
TUST_Official
First Regular
First Regular

Post by TUST_Official »

standupsitdown wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 19:22 We already have a ground that is perfectly adequate for League football. I don't think that TUST should be suggesting alternative sites. There is a risk in any move from Plainmoor under the current owner that the new stadium may not be as promised.
Evening Standupsitdown,

Thanks for you comment. Just to clarify, Nick was speculating on how changes in the local situation may tie in with the stated objectives of the current ownership. It was in no way a suggestion although TUST are always happy to work with any owner for the betterment of the club.

While Plainmoor is indeed perfectly adequate as a league ground, this is not enough in itself for TUST to oppose any future move in principle but like you and many other fans, we would look at any proposal to move very carefully to ensure it would ultimately improve the situation at the club.