Torquay v Shrews 1st leg

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm quite confident of it happening, though, SNW.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

NickGull wrote:I'm quite confident of it happening, though, SNW.

lets hope we dont have to find out nick....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Whether he is doing well for Shrewsbury or not, Wroe was well past his sell by date here. For every good match he was having, there were 3 awful ones (at least).

He's a good player and I appreciate all he has done for us, but his heart wasn't in Torquay any more - he didn't want to be here and it showed quite frankly.

In that respect Stanley every time, regardless of ability.

I'll personally be surprised and disappointed if Stanley doesn't come back here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Stanners will definitely be back. One look at him today told me that. On the bench, among the players at the final whistle and obviously appreciative of the chants as he walked to the tunnel.
Contrastingly, a post match comment on Twidder from Jake Robinson is somewhat disconcerting.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
MattSTFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jake Robinson ;)

Post by MattSTFC »

Previous results really don't count for much now.

We stuffed Gillingham 7-0 in 2008/9 but couldn't beat them at Wembley in the playoff final later that season. In fact that result from earlier in the season probably acted as a motivator for Gillingham and I feel our thumping at Plainmoor will have a similar effect on our lads this time.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Shrewsbury go into this as favourites being the team finishing 4th ect. We all know previous results count for nothing now, but the players will be confident that we could beat them in the last two home games and drew away in the last 2 seasons. I would happily take that again.
Playoffs are funny things and the side that sneaks into the last spot seem to do well but this is torquay united and well lets face it we will probably be 3-0 down in the first leg to draw 3-3 overall in the second leg and win on pens. We never do anything the easy way.

I just feel a few shrews fans i know are booking there place at OT already as they just don t think we stand a chance as they want “revenge”.

Craig Stanley will stay i think, after our little sing song to him yesterday may have done it for him.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Let them book their place at Old Trafford. Nothings certain in the play offs. You have to feel slightly sorry for them though after "the goal that never was" against High Wycombe.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Thank god its the Shrews and not Accy. I'll take a break from Exams to come and watch this one, think our midfield needs some serious work though.
MattSTFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jake Robinson ;)

Post by MattSTFC »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Let them book their place at Old Trafford. Nothings certain in the play offs. You have to feel slightly sorry for them though after "the goal that never was" against High Wycombe.
I don't know who those Town fans are but that's not representative of the feelings i'm getting and hearing ahead of these games. As always it's going to be tough against Torquay, you have been a bogey side of ours for a long time now, but on the flip side we're long overdue a result against you.

The comment higher up about teams finishing in the last playoff spot doing well is an interesting one as League 2 is possibly the division where the fourth placed team has the best record in terms of playoff victories. Five teams finishing fourth have won in the last ten seasons for example, and over a longer period that figure is even higher.

As has been said though, what's gone before counts for little now. It's all on the day and who can handle it better.
Loggerheads
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Loggerheads »

In response to an above comment I think it is the Torquay fans underestimating Shrewsbury not the other way round, most probably influenced by their 5-0 win, but Torquay's form has been pretty uninspiring of late as well. Personally if we come through the first leg, we should be ok. I also think Stevenage will be the team to get through in the other tie, they are the one team Accrington struggle to come to terms with.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Loggerheads, stop trying to invent things to suit yourself.

You won't find any of us underestimating you, we just play better against sides who play good football. I wanted Shrewsbury instead of Accrington, do I think Accrington are a better side, NO. I just think that win or lose it will be a much better tie than one versus Accrington.

Do our previous results matter? Not now they don't, but they do suggest we play better when we play you, so it isn't a case of underestimating you at all.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Loggerheads
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Loggerheads »

tufcbrett wrote:S
I just feel a few shrews fans i know are booking there place at OT already as they just don t think we stand a chance as they want “revenge”.
Southampton Gull, I was responding to the above comment
Loggerheads
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Loggerheads »

Southampton Gull wrote:
we just play better against sides who play good football. I wanted Shrewsbury instead of Accrington, do I think Accrington are a better side, NO. I just think that win or lose it will be a much better tie than one versus Accrington.
I would agree from our perspective as well and would sooner play Torquay than Stevenage
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Previous results do not matter a jot,Shrewsbury will approach this play-off game in a completely different manner whatever mistakes they made thae day we done them 5.0 thay are not going to repeat in this match.

I don't think Stevenage wanted Accrington either,its not a case of us underestimating Shrewsbury we know how good a side the Shrews are.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

How did Ellis get on yesterday? What are peoples thoughts on bringing him back in, shifting Robbo to RB and putting Manse into the midfield? I know it's a bad time to re-shuffle but we haven't won in 5 and I think it would give us a stronger spine.