Torquay v Shrews 1st leg

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
floreat salopia1
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: jakey robinson

Post by floreat salopia1 »

Another Shrewsbury Fan here..
Looking forward to 2 big games and hope we manage to get something out of the Gulls as you normally are a bit of a bogey team for us.
You are a cracking little club who i have some interest for many years as my ex brother in law is a huge Torquay fan..
Expect a few of our fans to visit your site, please feel welcome to visit Blue and Amber to exchange views...
finally the sensational jaytee when you coming back! :-D
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

YellowMurphy wrote:Id go for

Bevan

Nicho
Branston
Robbo
Mansell

Robinson
Lathrope
Oastler
O'Kane
Zebroski

Tomlin

- For the 1st leg
You mean the same team that was complete pants on Saturday.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

aka the same team that was so excellent at Bradford. We're not good enough to be brilliant every week but by and large that is the side that's got us 7th in the league. I wouldn't tinker too much, in fact I'd name the same side as above. I prefer Kee coming off the bench he doesn't seem to be as effective when he starts. I also don't like him playing out wide, I know Bucks favours the more physical Zebroski through the middle but I think Kee is wasted wide right. Sooner him come on when the oppo are tiring.

Also the pressure was on at Rotherham, dodgy pitch lets give the lads a chance to redeem themselves if you like in a game where we've got nothing to lose really. No one really fancies us outside of our lot so lets go show what we can do.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

oldpedant wrote: You mean the same team that was complete pants on Saturday.
Yep, pretty much. ^.^
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I take the same view as Royal on this team selection. Yes, this XI were hopeless at Rotherham, but it was such a pressure match and an awful, awful pitch. Two of their goals were down to errors which Bevs wouldn't make 99/100 and we were denied a stonewall penalty on Zebro[w]ski.
We always play better against the better sides and on better pitches, we like being the underdog (because we always are) and there is no way that one or two others (JOastler and, particularly, Tomlin) could possibly be as bad again as they were on Saturday. I've never before booed off a Torquay player, but I had a little go when Bucks took off Tommo.

Zedders and Robbo are each much more effective when they can swap wings and change their perspectives. Without this, the whole team does look a little one dimensional unless Manse or Nico stray forward, which is always a danger, since neither is the quickest and, consequently, we leave ourselves vulnerable to the counter-attack. For this reason, chief among a smorgasbord of same, is why I would NOT start Billy-Bob Kee.
I like Kee, he is the type of guy who is always likely to pop up with a goal, a little like Kalou for Chelsea or Solskjaer for Man Utd. Might only come on with two minutes to go, might start but be anonymous for a whole match, but they are just likely to find themselves in the right place at the right time, or with a decent shooting chance in added time which they make the most of.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Sorry if this was asked earlier.

financially do we get more money from a play off finish? and secondly how much for being on Sky twice!?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Sorry if this was asked earlier.

financially do we get more money from a play off finish? and secondly how much for being on Sky twice!?
Hadn't really considered this. With whats sure to be a sell out/near sell out on saturday and what with both games on sky we should make a fair bit of money from this.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Parry wrote: Hadn't really considered this. With whats sure to be a sell out/near sell out on saturday and what with both games on sky we should make a fair bit of money from this.

I'm sure it's been said before but all the money from the 4 playoffs is put into a pot and we get 12.5%
TV money is about £40k per game I think
Then you have to allow for the extortionate fee the police will charge for policing the home game,travel etc. costs to Shrewsbury, players/manager bonuses, CL's bonus :Z and other ancillary costs.
We should make some money but not that much in the grand scheme of things
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I was thinking about this subject last night. I can understand the reasoning behind the thought that if play-off contenders received more money than promoted teams it's unfair etc, but the play-offs bring about extra problems for participating clubs, not just financially either.

If you put yourselves in Paul Buckles shoes for instance, he's already hampered with regards to building a side for next season. Does he sign players up without knowing what division we'll be in, or wait until it's decided? We all know he's said nothing will be done until the season is finished, so he'll be two or three weeks behind promoted and relegated teams and those who knew what division they'd be competing in some while ago. If we were to keep the proceeds amongst the four competing sides then I feel that would be a much fairer way of doing things and also help the side winning the play-offs fund a promoted squad.

All this would be irrelevant if the greedy premiersh!te clubs would allow more money to sieve through to the lower leagues.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

WHG wrote:
I'm sure it's been said before but all the money from the 4 playoffs is put into a pot and we get 12.5%
TV money is about £40k per game I think
Then you have to allow for the extortionate fee the police will charge for policing the home game,travel etc. costs to Shrewsbury, players/manager bonuses, CL's bonus :Z and other ancillary costs.
We should make some money but not that much in the grand scheme of things
I think you will find that its 12.5% of NET gate receipts with costs for staging the match taken out (police etc)

But no, i dont think it will be a vast amount either :-/
Smithys
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Smithys »

Is the second leg on TV by any chance?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

All the games are being shown live on Sky.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MattSTFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jake Robinson ;)

Post by MattSTFC »

As has been described above there is little to be made financially from the semi-finals.

The final is a different matter though, as long as there is a decent attendance that is very lucrative for both clubs. There was around 64000, if I remember correctly, for our Wembley playoff final against The Gas in 2007 and reports estimated that game to be worth somewhere around £250,000 per club, then of course there is all the money to be made from sales of merchandise for a final.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

MattSTFC wrote:As has been described above there is little to be made financially from the semi-finals.

The final is a different matter though, as long as there is a decent attendance that is very lucrative for both clubs. There was around 64000, if I remember correctly, for our Wembley playoff final against The Gas in 2007 and reports estimated that game to be worth somewhere around £250,000 per club, then of course there is all the money to be made from sales of merchandise for a final.
Split on net gate receipts is 50% to Fl and 25% to each team if i remember rightly...