Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

gashead468 wrote:Can you blame the guy at wanting to better himself, he clearly is a young and up and coming manager so coming to a bigger club (if true) would be a natural progression for him. He would be handed a bigger budget in which to build a team that would challenge for automatic promotion. Being a bigger club, with a bigger fan base, he would be able to attract the better players and not journeyman. If, and its a massive if, you manage to get promoted you'll be the favourites to come straight back down again. Maybe what he see's is a much better prospect at sustainable League 1 / Championship football in the medium / long term!?

I know which club I'd prefer to be at!

Good luck on Sat, I think you'll need it!
I don't know about 'bigger/better' club - Bradford fans would probably say the same of their club, but they are in a mess, ditto Northampton, and most likely Argyle too (if they survive). To be honest I get entirely sick and tired of all this stuff about 'sleeping giants' etc because teams are in the league they are in because they deserve to be there. It's all very well saying "aaah, but we have the potential to get into the Championship" but it's bollocks. This vague notion of potential - I have the potential to be a hollywood actor and earn $15M a picture. Doesn't mean it'll ever happen - it doesn't mean anything. If anything, the ascent of teams like Hull, and Blackpool, and Burnley (and further back, Wigan, Fulham and Bolton) have shown that any team can rise to amazing heights given the opportunity. Torquay being traditionally a smaller club doesn't automatically preclude the possibility that they'll be bigger one day.

At this stage Bristol Rovers will not be a better job for Buckle to take. Even if we don't go up you'd have to think that we'd have an excellent chance next season, and Rovers will probably have some teething problems in the division. I genuinely think we'd be a better gig for him next season regardless of what happens in the playoffs. Plus - if Bristol Rovers truly are a 'big' club, why are they looking at a manager who has never managed above League 2 level anyway?

I'm sure Sven Goran Eriksson is available.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

He is a football manager of Torquay United. The club will not let him talk to you during the play offs. No club would let them.
Did your "sourse" also tell you that Simon Baker was there too, our club chairman.

After the play offs, i can see your lot and swindon being intrested. Untill after everyone knows what league were in, this conversation is pointless.
gasheadinpeace
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Danny Senda

Post by gasheadinpeace »

Hi, Gashead here as you can tell..

My neighbour has been a security guard at the Memorial Stadium for 36 years and he told me yesterday when I was coming home that he saw Paul Buckle exiting the Board of Director's Meeting Room at 2.15, and then leaving the ground itself at 2.30. Make of that what you will.

Now for what it's worth our Chairman has said today that he will be making an announcement within the week regarding who the next manager will be. It that really is the case then I, and most people, would be incredibly shocked to see PB leave days before a play-off match, one of the biggest in your club's history!

Oh, and also, Danny Senda is class.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I just do not believe that Buckle would leave us with two (possibly 3) huge play-off matches coming up. We could even be a division higher than Rovers come the end of May.

I'm not worried that he'll go. He's got a job to get TUFC promoted and I'm confident that he will.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Br ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless he walks out on the club whilst we are in the playoffs (which I cannot believe for 1 second he would) then it looks like they are looking elsewhere.

Like I said before - these rumours are nothing more than bored Rovers fans will nothing else to hold on to after their relegation and we should not let this effect preparations for Saturday.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

What a suprise, one petty rumour to do with Rovers and we get a load of their clowns on here giving it all out about how big their club is.

Bullsh*t rumour, obviously he's not going to leave days before a massive game in the clubs history. Just the kinda thing we DIDN'T need right now.
gasgasgas88
New Signing
New Signing

Post by gasgasgas88 »

gullsflyinghigh wrote:What a suprise, one petty rumour to do with Rovers and we get a load of their clowns on here giving it all out about how big their club is.

Bullsh*t rumour, obviously he's not going to leave days before a massive game in the clubs history. Just the kinda thing we DIDN'T need right now.

A bullshit rumour.... THE FACTS ARE: Buckle had a meeting at the mem yesterday with our board which lasted 2 and a half hours. After this meeting rovers then held contract talks with several players and also informed those who were surplus to requirements. He was slashed very quickly with bookies to be clear favourite for the job. I agree it is a stupid time for this to arise but surely buckle brought this on himself by attending the meeting?
Wembley Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Wembley Gull »

This video shows how BIG a club Bristol Rovers are !

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Wembley Gull wrote:This video shows how BIG a club Bristol Rovers are !

I would watch out they may write anougher cheque :rules: :lol:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Wembley Gull wrote:This video shows how BIG a club Bristol Rovers are !

:bow:
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I believe tufcbrett is probably closer to the truth, I do not think Buckle would risk the stability of the team at such an important time for us and as I said before he would be a pillock to do so. I believe he has the best interests of this club at heart and wouldn't do anything to damage us. We all know he will move on sooner rather than later but I always felt it would be to a higher placed club.
As for the bookies, the odds have been slashed because he was spotted and someone has spread the word not because of rock solid inside information. If tufcbrett is correct and our chairman was also there it would suggest that Buckle was not attending a job interview.
As you can probably tell my initial disbelief and panic has gone :)
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I think this would be a poor move for both parties. I think Bristol Rovers should appoint Campbell 100%, he's done a good job at the end of this season, and after a relegation, the best thing a team could do is get someone in who knows the club, knows what's needed to turn it around, and give him plenty of time. Having said that, i'm sure Rovers are able to offer Buckle more than we will, both in wages and probably playing budget. But i really don't think that he'd be even considering the job because of our involvement in the playoffs. We've got a good chance that we could be in the league above them next season, and noone could argue that that would be a backwards step joining them.

I think that the most likely explanation is him having a meeting about (as someone earlier said) the players that got released from Rovers and whether they'd be able to offer them deals for next season. On a side note, Scott Davies was mentioned in the article, and although i know that he hasn't got a contract with the gas, he's the sort of guy Buckle would be interested in. Played well for Aldershot in the BSP, young, attacking midfielder if i'm correct, not a bad addition for next season.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Bristol Rovers would be good good place to pick up new players. We're always saying how hard it is to tempt players down to Devon so Bristol wouldn't be far to relocate or commute.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

We don't seem to have struggled on that front. Conversely, I'd say that we're more likely to get people that want to be here and want to play for the club if their willing to make a commitment - and not view it as a short term stop gap.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I think it's when we have had people here on loan, like Branston and hopefully Stanley, and they've got to know the club and the area that we've been most successful in getting them to make it permanent. But yes I do agree Basil, if a player is prepared to make the move then he's with us for the right reasons more often than not.