McIlroy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

McIlroy

Post by ferrarilover »

According to the bint on the FLS, McIlroy has left Morecambe. Now, the question is, since it was a division between that man and Stanley which caused the latter to want away, will he now re-consider his decision to uproot himself from his friends and home to move 400 miles south when his only real motivation to do this has left the club?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

It's a very good point Matt and something (McIlroy leaving) I hoped wouldn't happen as despite what may been said in the press it was clear that he was the reason for Staners wanting away in the first place.

Not too concerned if a "new" man comes in but if they (Morecambe) were to give the job to his old mate Jim Bentley then I'm sure Staners would come under some pressure to re-sign for them.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

The problems they have getting players to sign for us is that they tend to be nervous about up rooting and having such a change in lifestyle when they come here. However, once you get people here you do tend to find that they realise this ain't a bad place to live. I would suggest the friends within the team that Stanley has created (evident he prefered to sit on our bench than consider going back to morecombe) and the living style down here has already got him hooked.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As it stands this McIlroy to leave leave Morecambe is nothing more than a rumour started by one there fans,who sent his rumour into the F/L show via e-mail.

Having said that this could be true,strange there is no confirmation though,as for Criag Stanley i tend to agree with mav here,i get the feeling Stanners see's TUFC as his club now,and not only did he come to Rotherham,but a clear indication of his future to me came from him sitting on our bench rather than in the stands.
Formerly known as forevertufc
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

No, it appears it isn't a rumour.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Confirmed as gone 'by mutual consent' although this time that does appear to ring true as there were talks over a new deal recently.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

"An interesting day and interesting 2 months ahead!"

A post from Craig Stanley on Twitter.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it but I wonder if this means that he has had contact from Morecambe about staying? It appears that Morecambe player Jim Bentley has been installed as the early favourite to take over from Sammy McIlroy and Morecambe fans are already speculating on their forum that should he get the job then there is every chance he will bring his old mate Craig Stanley back. Given that Sammy McIlroy was the main reason why Staners wanted to leave in the first place I just sense that getting his signature on a contract could just have got a whole lot harder - should Bentley get the job.

I guess tieing him (Staners) down to a deal any earlier wasn't really an option but he seemed so keen a week ago that if the terms offered were right for him he would have signed it there and then ... now I'm not so sure?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, cynical me thinks that this may well be the perfect bargaining chip for Stanley. Before, he had a straight choice of playing for us or warming the bench (if he was lucky) for Morecambe. Even if we offered identical terms to his Morecambe contract, he was better off, since he would be playing regularly. Now though, it seems that he holds all the aces (unless we go up, in which case it's about 50:50), given that he can renegotiate with Morecambe, or come down here.

Time will tell on this one. I think he loves Torquay, but perhaps a chunk of that love was based upon us being his way out of a nightmare situation at Morecambe. We are about to find out just how big a chunk it is.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

"An interesting day and interesting 2 months ahead!"

Perhaps the prospect of returning to Morecambe isn't what Craig Stanley was referring to ..... maybe he's lining up a move to the South West after all ? :-o
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Bentley got it. :devil:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13389753.stm

Tough decision for Staners then (particularly if we stay in L2). No doubt in my mind that Bentley will want his old mate back.

Mind you, Staners will be at Plainmoor tomorrow cheering the boys on .... perhaps we could chain him to one of the floodlight pylons (while stripped naked) until he agrees to sign! :~D
Exkeeper
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Scott Bevan

Post by Exkeeper »

The guy used to play for Telford, so he would probably love that.
Sorry to say that I believe him and Bentley struck up a very close friendship, whilst they were together at Telford, which has no doubt continued at Morecambe.
Would like to wish you good luck on Saturday, but being a Shrew, it's difficult, so here's hoping for a good game and a good advert for League 2 football, for those watching on t.v.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Stanners will be 'in our end' tomorrow. Not sure where exactly, but i would suggest anyone that bumps into him lets him know exactly how keen we are for him to stay!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Sing a Stanley song and try to get a big chunk of the crowd to join in. Individuals might do it but to hear his name sung in unison might swing it. The thread on Yellow Army says they'll be at the away end of the pop but if he's sat in the family stand why not congregate down that end before the match and chant his name for 5-10mins.
We want him, we need him. Make sure he knows it. Wish I could be there.
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

great idea, would love it if he signed.
Il be singing!!!