Unauthorised Approach.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Unauthorised Approach.

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Surely if the gas did want PB, any approach by their board wouldn't be authorised by ours untill after the play offs, wouldn'y it?

So if the recent speculation concerning the above is true it has to be an unauthorised approach, wouldn't it?
Smithys
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Smithys »

absolutley right, only here at Torquay would we stand for this! The board shouldv'e told Bristol were to go, at least untill after the play offs.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Personally I don't think it will really have effected the players in any way. At this stage the speculation as it stands at least as I understand is that PB may have attended an interview in Bristol on the players (and managements!)day off on Tuesday. Now if BRFC are keen to start the ball rolling as far as an appointment is concerned and understandably they want to crack on with it then what are they to do? Are we saying that PB should be completely "out of bounds" for the next 3 weeks - thereby probably denying him the chance of a shot at the job? There is never really an "ideal" time to "poach" a Manager. I mean would such an approach have been any more welcome in the llast few weeks where we were fighting to get in the play offs?

As far as I am concerned the Tuesday before the 1st leg of the semi finals is far more preferable than either between the home and away leg and certainly better than the week leading up to the Play Off Final should we be lucky enough to get there! It's probably just a case of needs must and I seriously doubt such an approach would be "unauthorised".
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I have no doubt they had our permission to speak to Bucks (if they did), but I very much think it could and should have waited until our fate was known. Rovers season is over. There need be no rush on their part, and if there are other candidates (as I m sure there are), they should have interviewed those without current responsibilities first. Our focus (and I mean that of the manager, players and fans) should be on the Play-Offs. We don t need to be side-tracked by anything, and whichever way you look at it, the manager having his eyes turned by another job will cause distraction. I ve heard suggestion that certain people within the club don t even want promotion. This kind of thing merely adds strength to that argument.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

I totally agree Fonda, if the approach turns out to be true then I'm disappointed that Bristol Rovers haven't had the decency & respect to at least wait until our season has officially ended.

Making a move for a manager must seriously disrupt preparations for up & coming games & in doing so lacks a little professionalism in my eyes.
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

It would definitely be classless of our board if they held an interview with your manager just days before a massive game for yourselves. Do disagree with the point of view that we aren't in a rush though, we definitely are. Most teams except those in the playoffs are already sorted with their retained lists, agreed a budget for next season and are already looking at targets for next season something that we will be behind in already, we definitely need a manager in asap.

One thing i wouldn't like, however, if the meetings are true (which i'm skeptical of in the first place) is to be looking at a manager who would be happy to have job interviews just a few days before a game he should be preparing for as the biggest match of the season. That is just as unprofessional as Rovers holding the interview in my opinion, if not more. But as i said, nobody has concrete evidence that these interviews even took place unless i missed anything?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

miagsygas wrote:It would definitely be classless of our board if they held an interview with your manager just days before a massive game for yourselves. Do disagree with the point of view that we aren't in a rush though, we definitely are. Most teams except those in the playoffs are already sorted with their retained lists, agreed a budget for next season and are already looking at targets for next season something that we will be behind in already, we definitely need a manager in asap.

One thing i wouldn't like, however, if the meetings are true (which i'm skeptical of in the first place) is to be looking at a manager who would be happy to have job interviews just a few days before a game he should be preparing for as the biggest match of the season. That is just as unprofessional as Rovers holding the interview in my opinion, if not more. But as i said, nobody has concrete evidence that these interviews even took place unless i missed anything?
I would agree with that. Hopefully this is the figment of somebodies over-active imagination. But somehow i doubt it. One thing Bucks does have is burning ambition, and as is the case in those with that personality, it appears he won't tread lightly to get what he wants.

In terms of the timing, unless all other candidates have already been seen, and there is an urgency to make a decision, it should have waited.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I suppose my point is if the board have authorised this why would they do so before the play offs? If they haven't then it has to be an unauthorised approach.
gasheadinpeace
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Danny Senda

Post by gasheadinpeace »

If we did get Buckle as our manager, you would be guaranteed to compensation anyway. Just making that point because a lot of people seemed to have missed.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Dave_Pougher »

gasheadinpeace wrote:If we did get Buckle as our manager, you would be guaranteed to compensation anyway. Just making that point because a lot of people seemed to have missed.
Said like a true bristolian lol

Don't think anyones missed that one mate, it's the very reason most managers are on a twelve month rolling contract.

Don't mean this in a sarcasitic way but do Bristol Rovers still have that large picture of the proposed new stadium hung up in the board room?
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

The fuss about the whole Buckle/Bristol Rovers saga is ridiculous....

Bucks has got us to the play offs in Lge 2, he has done his job and much, much more.

In 4 short seasons, he's pulled us from being a laughing stock in the conference, to a stab at Lge 1 football - along the way he has rebuilt at least two complete sides, got to the play offs 3 times and masterminded a money spinning cup run every season.
From what he inherited, just look where we are now - a team that plays attractive football, packed with good pros and an abundance of young talent.

Of course, Bristol Rovers are in a hurry, they have players contracts to sort and team rebuilding to do, they want to interview him this week.......then they have every right too, it's blatantly obvious Bucks was given permission to speak to them from our board, just like they probably will have to for the 2 or 3 other teams that are considering employing him too.

Professional football is dog eat dog, it's all about your contract........there's very little loyalty from either club or employee, have a bad run and you're fired - I'm sure that Bucks' agent has been doing his job well and contacting many of the clubs looking for a manager........for one very good reason.

Bucks' one year rolling deal runs out in November........he has just got us to the play offs and its the right time to renegotiate his contract, he's had a successful season.
Interest from other clubs will force the hand of the board..........pay him significantly more or he goes.

None of this means he is being disloyal.......he's simply trying to get the best deal for himself, just as all of us would do in his position.
I personally, believe that Bucks would be more than happy to stay with us........he's ambitious but Rovers are hardly a job that he couldn't turn down.

Whether he stays or not however, is probably down to what length the board will go to, to try and keep him...........
....aka jmgull.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

jocktheknife wrote:The fuss about the whole Buckle/Bristol Rovers saga is ridiculous....

Bucks has got us to the play offs in Lge 2, he has done his job and much, much more.

In 4 short seasons, he's pulled us from being a laughing stock in the conference, to a stab at Lge 1 football - along the way he has rebuilt at least two complete sides, got to the play offs 3 times and masterminded a money spinning cup run every season.
From what he inherited, just look where we are now - a team that plays attractive football, packed with good pros and an abundance of young talent.

Of course, Bristol Rovers are in a hurry, they have players contracts to sort and team rebuilding to do, they want to interview him this week.......then they have every right too, it's blatantly obvious Bucks was given permission to speak to them from our board, just like they probably will have to for the 2 or 3 other teams that are considering employing him too.

Professional football is dog eat dog, it's all about your contract........there's very little loyalty from either club or employee, have a bad run and you're fired - I'm sure that Bucks' agent has been doing his job well and contacting many of the clubs looking for a manager........for one very good reason.

Bucks' one year rolling deal runs out in November........he has just got us to the play offs and its the right time to renegotiate his contract, he's had a successful season.
Interest from other clubs will force the hand of the board..........pay him significantly more or he goes.

None of this means he is being disloyal.......he's simply trying to get the best deal for himself, just as all of us would do in his position.
I personally, believe that Bucks would be more than happy to stay with us........he's ambitious but Rovers are hardly a job that he couldn't turn down.

Whether he stays or not however, is probably down to what length the board will go to, to try and keep him...........
Spot on, agree with all of that ...... apart from the "Bucks' one year rolling deal runs out in November" bit as I would suggest it actually runs out in May 2012. ;-)
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I think you'll find that very few think he is being disloyal and that we expect him to move on sometime soon. It's the timing of the rumour that we object to.
Anyhoo, on to tomorrow...
COYY!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I fully expect him to move on in the not-too-distant future. And he absolutely deserves a chance at a 'bigger' job. But it still leaves a sour taste that these conversations have (apparently) been going on in the middle of a very important week for 'our' club. Of most importance to me personally is that we give ourselves the best chance of winning this tie and getting promoted. If the managers mind is somewhere else, as a club we're not doing that.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Or a rolling deal could be one that never runs out surely? (theres always 12 months left on it) :)