Managers press conference today

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 16:23 Give him a new 2 year deal.
Crazy!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Plenty of people shouting GJ yellow army at the end of the Eastleigh game and a hell of a lot more after the York game all baying for the fist pump

No excuses for this seasons results, it's a shambles

I'm still in the fresh idea and new manager camp but am I concerned about keeping a manager who's got us promotion out of the NLS before - no.

GJ has appeared stubborn this year not changing formation or personnel when either/both clearly weren't working but the end of the season has shown he's listened and hopefully learnt about the summer recruitment

I also think him staying gives the greatest potential of keeping those core key players of Jarvis and Dawson
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Agree with UnitedinDevon. We need whoever can keep our best players and GJ is that man.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I can't believe we are that desperate that people want GJ to STAY??, seriously, he's had his day, it needs a new manager, new ideas, a new regime, I cannot understand the thinking in wanting him to carry on, and am I reading this right, After the York game fans wanting him to start "fist pumping" the popular side??, Bloody hell, talk about dining out on failure, if he had anything about him, he'd do a token clap/thumbs up and keep his head down, his marquee signings, stubbornness and general tactics for 85%plus of the season were to be blunt, piss poor, we should never of been in a relagation dogfight all season long,He should retire, and like I've said in previous posts 10 to 12 players need getting off the books asap.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 21:32 I can't believe we are that desperate that people want GJ to STAY??, seriously, he's had his day, it needs a new manager, new ideas, a new regime, I cannot understand the thinking in wanting him to carry on, and am I reading this right, After the York game fans wanting him to start "fist pumping" the popular side??, Bloody hell, talk about dining out on failure, if he had anything about him, he'd do a token clap/thumbs up and keep his head down, his marquee signings, stubbornness and general tactics for 85%plus of the season were to be blunt, piss poor, we should never of been in a relagation dogfight all season long,He should retire, and like I've said in previous posts 10 to 12 players need getting off the books asap.
Spot on again Mr Tea808, any other club and he would have been out the door in January. Our supporters have given him a far too easy ride, as they have with the majority of the bunch of losers he has recruited.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

So as I understand it, the owner does not understand football. Understanding he has the ultimate say, who would be the most influential person making the decision to retain or fire him. I think there's some chap called Edwards but he doesn't seem to be very involved. Would it be him? Somebody on the board of directors? Southampton? Portugull?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We wont know until Osborne keeps him or not - its very much his decision.

Mentioning the Maidenhead game is ridiculous. Given that Torquay is Gateshead's longest away trip its fairly obvious they are not going to be bothered at all that its Maidenhead that stay up.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with Mellow. Give GJ a long term contract.

Someone said there's no incentive to do well. There is. Doing well.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Toastkid, why this obsession on GJ, if I was him I'd be taking out a restraining order on you, with the greatest respect,I need to understand the thinking, although you could explain it and I still wouldn't get it, there's NO reasons you could state that would convince myself or the majority of clued up fans to KEEP GJ on.. Promotion from NLS,and 1 good season in the NL and to be honest, we should of won the league that season, but everything caught up with us, but since the Hartlepool game, it's been average to poor ever since, culminating in back to where it all started. 6th tier regional football, maybe that's what some fans want, to be a big hitter in a gold fish bowl??, I've been watching Gulls for 40years and some of the players signed by GJ, words fail me, either they aren't that bad and it's his managing that is, but after this season,NO excuses, he has to go.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

toastkid wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 06:28
Someone said there's no incentive to do well. There is. Doing well.
If you reward failure (which is what giving GJ a new contract would be) you are only going to get more failure in return.
There is no guarantee that a new manager would be successful but GJ has shown himself over two seasons to be a busted flash so time to move on.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Think we may see Paul Wotton come in, armed with a couple of the Truro boys.
The gulls are going up
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Anyone but Gary at this point. ChatGPT could give a more coherent post-match interview. In fact, let’s try it:

Interviewer: Gary, tough result out there tonight, what's your initial reaction?

Gary Johnson: Yeah, it's disappointing to lose 3-0 again. We've had a tough run of games lately, and we're just not performing at the level we need to be. It's frustrating because we know we have the quality in this squad to compete, but for some reason, it's just not clicking right now.

Interviewer: What do you think the problem is?

Gary Johnson: That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? We're trying everything we can to figure it out. We're working on our tactics, our fitness, our mentality, but nothing seems to be working at the moment. We just need to keep pushing and trying new things until we find a solution.

Interviewer: Do you think there are any positives to take from tonight's performance?

Gary Johnson: Honestly, not really. We didn't create enough chances, we made too many mistakes at the back, and we just weren't good enough overall. It's a tough pill to swallow, but we have to be honest with ourselves and recognize that we need to do better.

Interviewer: What's your plan going forward?

Gary Johnson: We're going to keep working hard in training, keep trying to improve in every aspect of our game, and stay positive. It's easy to get down on ourselves after a run like this, but we have to stay focused and keep believing in ourselves. We know we can turn things around, we just have to keep pushing and never give up.

Interviewer: Thanks for your time, Gary.

Gary Johnson: Thank you
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

gullno4 wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 08:10 Think we may see Paul Wotton come in, armed with a couple of the Truro boys.
I doubt whoever is in control of recruitment would actually know who Wotton was
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Thoughts on Gary Johnson.

Reminds me of the chorus from the Clash hit

Should I stay or should I go .....

If I go, there will be trouble...

If I stay it will be double...

Don't think I need to add anything to that ....I rest my case!!!

Just F... off you've had your chance here ..any made a very good living from the club...oh and take your entourage with you !!!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 08:58 I doubt whoever is in control of recruitment would actually know who Wotton was
And this is the crux of the problem, who out of CO or the board know anything about football to make a very important managerial appointment?