Trollope to you?

General chat about anything else goes here.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

I'm also looking forward to Buckle's post match interview too Dave. Should we manage to beat Stevenage, it will be interesting to see what he says when possibly being posed with questions such as "how do you think you will fare in league one" & if the reporter asks anything about Bristol Rovers approach.

I may get shot down in flames here with this suggestion, but could the match on saturday ultimately decide which club Buckle manages next season?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've been hopeful all along but I fear it might be too late for that now. It's going to be a very interesting summer if we do go up and he does leave, that's for sure.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

I too, think that his mind is made up, and he's going to look like a fool if we do get promoted and then he joins Rovers, given that he has always gone on about the 'level' at which he manages to get to.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

I think that even though Bristo Rovers could be seen as a step up for him in terms of money and 'club size' he obviously wants to go a lot higher than that. If Torquay do go up and he goes to Rovers then it sends a message that he isn't ambitious and is content with league 2 and doesn't rate himself to deal with the challange of league 1 and therefore could dent his CV.
:( Tommy :)
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Just have to look at Keith Hill at Rochdale. Brilliant first season at League One level & he's almost been rewarded by managing a club in the Championship. For those who don't know he rejected Barnsley yesterday.

It's been said before & I think Buckle has accepted Bristol Rovers post earlier in the season thinking we won't have a chance of promotion. Should we lose against Stevenage then it's a gamble worth taking.

With the 2 clubs in the same division, who would you rather manage? Bristol Rovers with the larger fanbase, better reputation & x amount of pounds at his disposal or us? Should we get promoted tho, he would've made a mistake & missed a great chance to bolster his CV IMO.
huddersfieldgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by huddersfieldgull »

Just a thought....

Buckle has stated that he wants to manage at as high a level as possible. That being said it doesn't have to be straight away. At the moment his stock is high with those looking in on what he has achieved here and he is able to bargain off that. If he stayed with Torquay should we be promoted then fair enough it will be at a higher level than Rovers. However with the likely budget and probably very little increase in attendance (especially if we are losing) then it is very likely that next season will be spent staving off relegation. His momentum would be lost and his name will not be on anybodies lips. Rovers on the other hand should at least make the play offs next season and with another promotion on his CV or playoff final appearence he has the opportunity to progress further.

His heart may well urge him to stay and see how far he can go with us but his head must be saying that in a season the two clubs could realistically have swapped places or at least be at the same level and unfortunately I suspect Rovers' platform to grow is bigger than our own.

Mind you nothing is certain in football, working at Barnsley I should certainly know that!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

It appears to be the case that he's applied for numerous jobs that have been up for grabs and I wouldn't doubt it for a minute due to his ambition so my head says he will be leaving us. I'm of the opinion that he's given his word to join Rovers but I'm clinging to the hope that if we do win on Saturday he'll decide to give it a go with us in League One. If promotion is attained then I hope the Board would do all in their power to get close to giving him what he wants and I'm sure they'll try. Optimistic? I think so.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

After writing that it's occurred to me that most of us would rather this was spoken about after the big game so I hope I'm not offending anyone by choosing to move this thread to The Banter and other Football Board.
Dave

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:After writing that it's occurred to me that most of us would rather this was spoken about after the big game so I hope I'm not offending anyone by choosing to move this thread to The Banter and other Football Board.

Agree SG.

Lets concentrate on Saturday then deal with everthing else.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Evening all.

For those of you who dont know the Brizzzzzle Evening Post, it is a bastion of lazy journalism. Their roving reporters rarely leave the deckchairs in front of their computer screens and as a result most of their football stories usually appear to have been copied straight from the local forums of either City or the blue few. Any talk of Trollope coming to you probably started on the BRFC forum (although I cant confirm this as Im banned because they cant take a joke).

To be honest I still cant quite believe that Paul Buckle would want to leave a (possibly) promoted team to manage a club of similar size in a division that he had just been promoted from, all this talk of vast riches (they are skint, even with the money from Hoskins), potential (surely every team has potential??) and a huge fanbase (so far City have sold 8000 more season tickets than them) is nonsense.

Good luck on Saturday, Hope you do it!