How many will we take ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

tommygull wrote: Try 10 an hour!

Most people are buying more than one at a time. One group i know brought 18 in one go to get everyone together. That would have taken a little while. Few others have brought 8 each so i think there will be a few more than people think.

Only 3 days, getting excited now!! :scarf:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

If the calculations dictate there is time to physically sell 9000, i'd guess that would be ample.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Hate to think it but suspect it will be low turnout - even for Torquay : (
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fonda wrote:...But then i am a pessimist

At Last............. ;-) :lol:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Southampton Gull wrote:
At Last............. ;-) :lol:
Could only deny it for so long! :~D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
PADSTOW GULL
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by PADSTOW GULL »

I asked the initial question, thanks for your replies, it's nice to be back on the site, I thought around 12 k in total would be at the match (with us taking around 4 thousand) but after chatting to a friend who works in Stevenage (he knows someone who works at their club seriously) I'm afraid I'm going to drop my figure to sadly around 9 thousand in total at the game with us taking no more than 3 thousand. Sadly this could be the least attended League Two Play off final ever and I blame the following

1.The match not being at Wembley
2. The price of tickets
3. Two southern clubs involved
4. Most importantly the recession
5. Poor organisation (especially at our club)

What makes me laugh is every time I read the Herald,, Dave Thomas seems to think that every big game we have
is going top be a sell out, and we're all asked to hurry along to Plainmoor to buy our tickets before they're all supposedly snapped up. Get real Dave even the play off home semi against Shrewsbury only attracted just over 4 thousand.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

PADSTOW GULL wrote:
What makes me laugh is every time I read the Herald,, Dave Thomas seems to think that every big game we have
is going top be a sell out, and we're all asked to hurry along to Plainmoor to buy our tickets before they're all supposedly snapped up. Get real Dave even the play off home semi against Shrewsbury only attracted just over 4 thousand.
Think you're the one that needs to get real mate... 3k is laughable! Well easily take double that at least.
Ok maybe the herald is often slightly optimistic but you on the other hand...... Extreme pessimist!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm ready to be surprised either way, it's really a hard one to call so I'm not sure it's a case of needing to get real.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

We sold around 1,000 tickets on Sunday,and demand has been constant since.
I'll go for 7,000 for us and 10,000 for them,probably resulting in a crowd similar to the BSP final.
Agree with all the reasons listed by Padstow Gull as regards why the crowd won't be bigger-I'm also aware of quite a few who would have gone but are going on holiday with the family as half-term week is the last chance to get a reasonable price for family holidays before the summer when costs increase considerably.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I honestly don't understand why they made the decision to have it at Old Trafford. Okay, so it can't be at Wembley, but why not tap up Arsenal for the Emirates, or - if London's out cos of CL finals (which would seem unlikely to me, but I guess it's feasible) - take it to Villa.

Or Sid James Park :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Looks like we will be taking a lot more than 3/4000. The club yesterday had sold over 4,000 tickets. If Stevenage have 2/3 of those sales then hopefully there should be an attendance of at least 15,000. Old trafford will sound very echoey though. flippin eckythump it will be mostly empty. I wonder what sort of atmosphere we can generate..Should we make a truce with all the West Country teams and borrow their supporters for the weekend
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

part of me is pleased it's old trafford, and that's the part of me that has always wanted to see torquay play there, but against man utd, so while i'm looking forward to saturday, i think somewhere else would've been better for the fans/atmosphere. there are a lot of decent stadia with capacities around the 30-40K mark which would've been better i think.

having said all that, ask any of the players involved where they'd want to walk out (if wembley is unavailable) and i'm sure the majority would pick old trafford. i would. i've been to the emirates a few times, and it's a fantastic stadium, but still probably too big, although location may mean more would make the trip. if it was wembley, no one would question it, but wembley is too big for such occasions as well. it's just the prestige of playing/going there for the players & fans.

we just need to make as much noise as possible on saturday, let the players know we're there, and enjoy the day. :scarf:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by MuzDog »

OK, Old Trafford is not the most central place for such a final and for the Football League it's a case of sod's law in that three of the four Play-Off finalists are heading to Old Trafford this year are from the south. But I'd argue that Old Trafford is probably more prestigious than Wembley in a global context, and has a lot more kudos than Villa Park which, although is more central, is only about 90mins closer to Torquay than OT in the grand scheme of things.

It's tough in that in order for the final not to feel "echoey" you would probably need to play the League Two showpiece in a 20-30k stadium (like the Hawthorns or Walkers), but you'd probably attract a smaller attendance and again 12,000 or so fans in these stadiums is going to look half empty.

However, I'm thrilled we're off to Old Trafford and playing at one of the most famous stadiums in the world, but that may be down to the fact that I live in the North! Having said that, like many fans, I'd have gone wherever it was staged, so I still think we'll still have a good turnout and take over 6,000...
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

Anyone who's still to go and buy your ticket please ask them how many we've sold???
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

I think we'll take around 8,000 and would be pleased if Stevenage had done the same. It's not the easiest location and both teams are in the south, it's VERY expensive to take 2 adults, and then any kids, so any attendance of 15,000+ will be good despite making old trafford look emptier than at a Youth Cup game.

The fans that do go though, will be amongst the most passionate in the country, and we don't need to outsing 60,000 Man Utd fans, just a similar number of Stevenage supporters.

I for one, cannot wait for Saturday