survey

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

happytorq wrote: 30 May 2024, 16:30 That's not what surveys are for, though. When used properly, and designed well, a survey is helpful for identifying trends and a general sense of things rather than asking for specifics. The one the club sent out was actually pretty well designed - they clearly think they know what some of the low-hanging fruit is, and they're looking for reinforcement on what the best things to focus on right now would be. If you have an open-ended question, yuo'll get open-ended answers and that's not helpful at all. But if you say "which of these options applies" that gives you the chance to make better decisions.

The first few questions, as I recall, were essentially demographic questions (locations, gender, household income). That's helpful becasue you can then get a sense of whether answers in other questions are influenced by the type of person you are. Also, I thought it was interesting that they asked why people don't go to home games; if the majority response is not about cost, and instead other things that take priority, that might be a signal to try a friday night kickoff rather than saturday 3pm. I suspect that we'll see the new owners try a few different things in the course of this season, simply to see what works and what doesn't, and surely that should be encouraged.
Hope that's not the case, as in my opinion, you are then relying on local fans - even some of those that are fairly close and also work might struggle to get there on a Friday night - never mind the Exiles.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 30 May 2024, 17:43 Hope that's not the case, as in my opinion, you are then relying on local fans - even some of those that are fairly close and also work might struggle to get there on a Friday night - never mind the Exiles.
Friday night is a non -starter in a semi professional league. The visitors would have to agree to it and if their players can't get time off work it won't happen.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

The thing is, " You can please some of the people all of the time and please all of the people some of the time. You can't please all of the people, all of the time." I guess that the club just wants to get a balance and please most of the people most of the time.
Personally I don't mind whether the match is on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon although I have a strong preference for Saturday Afternoons.
I'm not bothered whether I sit or stand. I prefer to stand but I sit cos I go with my mates who want to sit as they are older.
I pay for everything by card, I never carry cash except for a bit of emergency money.
I like the idea of booking my seat in advance, it's easy and the ticket is on my smartphone,
Unreserved seating would be a nightmare , as I do like to sit with my mates and that would mean having to take seats early in order to sit together, where as I like a couple of beers before the game and take up our seats just before kick off. Selecting seats on matchday at the ticket office would just result in massive queues. ( different if you're standing though)
I don't know anyone who hasn't got a smartphone. Even my mum in her nineties had one as it was easier to use than the old style "bricks". :)

But, we're not all the same.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Finally got around to filling out the survey. First things first, the one thing that grinds my gears and it does in all walks of life is apathy, and those who display an apathetic attitude get zero respect from me, if you've got something, or a situation etc, etc that's not working out, we'll never change it by shrugging shoulders and excepting that's just the way it is.

So it angers me when anyone talks about 3,500 gates at Torquay, all you get is 'that'll never happen here' you know some won't come when it's wet and cold, well if your one of those the word 'wet' applies , team results matter, yes they do, and some won't come when your losing, but if the clubs being run properly, the relationship between fans and club is good, then many will forgive a run of bad results.

Friday night kicks offs as said will be a non-starter, can't see the national league allowing it, also with many night club events and social stuff the youngsters like to go to, exiles etc, can see for a few extra that may come, losing a few more and potentially this having a negative impact on gate figures rather than positive.

The three points I've made on the survey, very much inline with others, cashless turnstiles, end the £2 matchday surcharge (and that's what it is)and no10's.

Lets start with cashless turnstiles, this is with no doubt putting some fans off coming, however I can see it being logistical nightmare in all seated areas, fine, apply it to the popside only where it would work an could attract more fans in through the gates, or do it on a trial basis to see what effect it has on gate figures.

The £2 surcharge is just wrong, it penalises those who just don't know until the matchday whether they attend, for instance someone on a zero hours working contract who isn't required for work at the last minute, some who's had an event cancelled, why should they have to pay more to watch the same game, I know it was brought in to keep match day ques down, but this is just madness, we want ques, I want to have to leave the gulls nest 30 minutes earlier to get my normal spot on the popside, it means we're bigger gates, and the more money coming, in the better standard of player follows etc.

No10's, I've been as a match sponsor guest, and booked in for matchday food, the price for what is basic bog standard fair is too high, either change the price, or the quality, maybe return to the carvery set up of the past, they were always top notch.
Formerly known as forevertufc
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

I wasn't surprised they went to cashless turnstiles but always surprised they didnt just buy a few card machines so people could attend and still "pay on the gate"

i'm confident with those that have taken over that will get some more sensible business decisions made!
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

When my health was better and I stood in the Pop side I sometimes didn’t make my mind up whether I was going or not until 2.30 and I’ve never been one for having a drink before hand. Now I need to sit, so it’s just easier for me to have a ST in Bristows. I know for certain I wouldn’t visit Plainmoor so often if I had to pay a surcharge or go to an office to get a ticket on the day. Some people just want to decide and turn up at the turnstile.

To enable cashless tickets, maybe certain sections of Bristows and the Family stand are simply reserved for those supporters. Do it before we open up for Season Ticket sales, so those areas are solely for cash/card customers and they simply get whichever seat they are given. Pop side is more straight forward as people can obviously just choose where to stand.

I’ve had food once in the ground, was over priced and wasn’t great.

I do wish they’d open up the Away end for us at the end of a match, having just that one exit is frustrating especially if standing isn’t so easy, like for me. We have to walk past/through the Away supporters anyhow once we’ve left the ground.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

I don't think cashless is such an issue since everyone has a bank account with a debit card. It's not being able to pay at the turnstile that is the issue.
As for the surcharge I agree with the posters above. In the past I often decided on the day whether to attend or not and the thought of getting charged an extra £2 certainly out me off especially with the crap served up in the last couple of seasons.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

There are plenty of pros and cons of accepting both cash and cards. In an ideal world, every business should accept both cash and card. Cash, however, has the problem of leaving no paper trail to follow and in a digital economy the HMRC now want meticulous records of every transaction and every penny you have received. Not sure what real fuzz is about as to get cash you normally have to punch in your numbers in a digital cash machine anyways, just as easy to purchase an e-ticket.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

The issue is, people sometimes just wanna rock up at the last minute. So just have a contactless turnstile. Not difficult.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

toastkid wrote: 01 Jun 2024, 19:49 The issue is, people sometimes just wanna rock up at the last minute. So just have a contactless turnstile. Not difficult.
Exactly.
xeon
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by xeon »

Home fans behind both goals - its absurd to have an empty terrace (for most games, not all) behind a goal.

Open it up when the away support doesn't fill the seats in Bristows.

Monthly payments for STs - evens out the cash flow for the club and makes STs more affordable for fans

Loose the goal music

Loose the match day surcharge.

A 'fanzone' for a beer or two somewhere other than boots before/after games - get local bands to do a set for entertainment etc.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

xeon wrote: 10 Jun 2024, 13:20 Home fans behind both goals - its absurd to have an empty terrace (for most games, not all) behind a goal.

Monthly payments for STs - evens out the cash flow for the club and makes STs more affordable for fans

Loose the goal music

A 'fanzone' for a beer or two somewhere other than boots before/after games - get local bands to do a set for entertainment etc.
Yes, lose both the after goal music and the match day surcharge. Both terrible.

At grounds like Yeovil, they have enough space behind the stand to sell beers during the game, as well as before and after. Don't suppose there's enough space at Plainmoor for that.... maybe in the corners you could, but it would need stewarding....
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

xeon wrote: 10 Jun 2024, 13:20 Home fans behind both goals - its absurd to have an empty terrace (for most games, not all) behind a goal.

Loose the goal music

Would cost the club extra money when we already have Gulls Nest & B&L.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

Loose the goal music

I assume most clubs offer STs at discounted rates to get cashflow in during the summer, when there are limited other income streams coming in but still have wages to pay
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

DerekDawkinsJnr wrote: 10 Jun 2024, 13:47 Yes, lose both the after goal music and the match day surcharge. Both terrible.

At grounds like Yeovil, they have enough space behind the stand to sell beers during the game, as well as before and after. Don't suppose there's enough space at Plainmoor for that.... maybe in the corners you could, but it would need stewarding....
Can’t help but feel that this bit behind the pop is completely wasted space. Maybe the option to have a beer/fag out here would take the pressure off boots and make a better match day experience? A doorway would need to be made to the left inside the concourse though so I’m not sure how possible that is.
Attachments
IMG_2538.jpeg