Squad 2024/25

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MoxGull2502
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MoxGull2502 »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 30 Jun 2024, 13:48 Tomlinson was sat with the squad at the Princes theatre during Neil Warnocks show
Sure Tomlinson will realise he will only be a benchwarmer with this group . Amazed he is still around the squad tbh, he is not good enough and a liability.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Tomlinson still played a fair number of games, he wasn’t awful in all of them and would perhaps benefit from being part of a more robust defence than during 2023/24? If he does or does not remain, good luck to him.
AdrianC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

I think that’s a fair assessment of Tomlinson. Given at times our lack of an effective midfield in front of him his workload would increase, more errors seen when under constant pressure. May be similar to what I think of Ash in that if the team, squad, crowd etc are more buoyant then confidence levels should improve.

Likely to be a squad member rather than a regular starter I would imagine.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

With the number of defenders we have its dificult to see how he gets in the tea, to be honest. Wonder if he has been offered a part time deal.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

AdrianC wrote: 01 Jul 2024, 10:56 I think that’s a fair assessment of Tomlinson. Given at times our lack of an effective midfield in front of him his workload would increase, more errors seen when under constant pressure. May be similar to what I think of Ash in that if the team, squad, crowd etc are more buoyant then confidence levels should improve.

Likely to be a squad member rather than a regular starter I would imagine.
Valid points - I quite like Tomlinson. He does possess some good attributes worth having in the team. - at least he's not a hoof-ball defender. He's still young and there is significant room for growth. His moral maybe higher this season as I am sure it was directly proportional to the teams on-field performance last season. Like-wise with Ash.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 01 Jul 2024, 19:13 With the number of defenders we have its dificult to see how he gets in the tea, to be honest. Wonder if he has been offered a part time deal.
If we wish to became promotion contenders we will need all the defenders we can get. How many times did we look at bench last season and see youth development players as stand-in's. As Alex Ferguson once said, “Attacks win your games, defences win your titles”.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Tomlinson still not showing in the squad list on the OS
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Maybe he will come in on a short term prove yourself contract?
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

Would love to see Janneh back, now a free agent
North Curry House
Skipper
Skipper

Post by North Curry House »

smw89 wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 22:47 Would love to see Janneh back, now a free agent
👍😊♥️
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

smw89 wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 22:47 Would love to see Janneh back, now a free agent
Wasn't that impressive second time round for us. Seems odd that Lolos who had a bad time at Plainmoor has come on in leaps and bounds, and Janneh who was exceptional in his first spell with us has stalled.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Maybe Janneh would be revitalised by a spell in NLS? More likely he will move to a club such as Cheltenham though perhaps?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

CornishGull wrote: 03 Jul 2024, 09:07 Wasn't that impressive second time round for us. Seems odd that Lolos who had a bad time at Plainmoor has come on in leaps and bounds, and Janneh who was exceptional in his first spell with us has stalled.
I think with certain flair players like Janneh you need to give them an amount of freedom, he certainly didnt get that with Johnson who expected him to cause havoc down the wing and then play wingback, then cover the defence, usually at the same time, as he gets older he will get more accomplished and if we could get him which I doubt he would be a very good acquisition.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No chance of getting Janneh - seriously?
LikeaPatOutaHele
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by LikeaPatOutaHele »

In my opinion, Tomlinson should have snapped Wotton's hand off when he was initially offered a contract. I would be surprised if there is a significantly long line clubs at NLS level queueing up for him. Certainly not on a full time contract.
I cannot see any point in signing him now, given the number of defenders already onboard. If he was an obviously outstanding player who would make a huge difference to central defence I might feel otherwise. He is not a Joe Lewis, Kyle Cameron or Nico Lawrence.
Given there will be limitations to the budget, the priority now looks to be a need to add some guile, creativity and pace to the squad, which will have impact in the attacking half of the pitch.
Tomlinson was an OK-ish player showing a little potential, who was part of a defence which conceded goals by the bag full. I don't see us looking back in a few seasons time cursing how we let such a gem go.
There was no questioning of his commitment, so good luck to him. Would be quite happy to see him prove me completely wrong.